Parlour Cars gone?

• Thread starter Guest_Amtrak_flyer_*
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Post 76 in no way helps expalin to me how this route can run with daily departures at each end.
I'll start with the "Meteor"
This thread isn't about the Meteor

I believe the "Starlight" still uses four trainsets due to all the time in the schedule (for obvious reasons we'll leave unsaid here).
I'm sorry. The reasons are not obvious to me. Can you please state them? It may help me, because It's MY understanding that the Starlight has ALWAYS used four train sets.

If the train was staffed out of SEA crewbase, then managment probably could have scheduled the OBS crews on a three day cycle
Call me stupid. I can't see how. Could anyone expalin how managment could do that, please?

Thank you.
1) OK I will try to clarify.

2)Regarding the "Meteor." Read the entire statement, not just what was quoted here! It was conveniently abbreviated! It reads this.......... "I'll start with the "Meteor" since it was mentioned (and that is the one I always worked), then talk about the "Starlight." .......... meaning this is in the form of a comparison statement with the "Starlight!"

3)The "obvious reasons left unsaid here" are located in numerous topics all over this forum from various mulititudes of posters who visit this site regularly! If I had listed all of these, the post would be over three pages long! But anyway, the "Starlight" has to use four trainsets with all the padding which has been built into the schedule. The freights (UP, CSX, NS, BNSF, etc) have requirements that Amtrak must follow. Pretty much UP has a major say so in the scheduling of the train over its trackage! And we're still leaving the rest unsaid here!

4)I would hope that no one here is calling you "stupid." This is why this forum is here, and that is to discuss Amtrak. We have to ask questions to get answers, and you are by no means an exception. If you don't understand, you keep asking until you do! And I am happy to oblige with this answer; there are two West Coast OBS crewbases. They are LAX and SEA. SEA staffs the OBS personel for the SEA section of the "Builder." CHI staffs the Porland section of that same train. LAX staffs the "Starlight," the "Southwest Chief," and the "Sunset Limited" as well as some short haul OBS jobs on the other trains. I made a comparison of the "Meteor" route and the "Starlight" route because they are somewhat close in distance between the two endpoints on both routes! The "Meteor" was able to operate on the three day turn from MIA-NYP-MIA with the OBS crews being based out of MIA. Over on the West Coast, the "Starlight" would need to be staffed out of SEA in order to work the OBS crews on a three day turn from SEA-LAX-SEA to keep the crew on the same cycle as the equipment like the East Coast comparison! Amtrak would adjust the job cycles accordingly to be in line with the equipment, if in fact doing do would make it possible to keep the minimum amount of crew cycles for each run. In other words under the current situation with LAX staffing the "Starlight," LAX would have to be used as the turn around station like NYC was used as the same in the East! In the East though, MIA staffed the train, not NYC. That way the OBS crews started out and usually stayed with the same equipment on the return trip. The crew cycles would not work that way being based out of LAX and that location being used as the turn around point! If the "Starlight" was able to operate on a three trainset cycle, the crews would most likely remain in LAX and only the equipment cycle be adjusted, not a big situation at all!

Some extra thoughts.........

When the "Palmetto" was cut back from NYP to SAV in 2004, they went from using four trainsets to two each day! That allowed Amtrak here in the East a little more equipment to play with thus giving the "Meteor" a fourth trainset allowing its equipment an overnight in NYC. More can be accomplished when equipment has a little more deadtime in the yards. Running turn around equipment in the fashion the "Meteor" did, puts a heavy time constraint on the mechanical dept, etc. And it does take its toll on the OBS crews as they do not get as good rest as they can with an overnight layover. And for what it is worth, I am kinda against these job cycles which reflect same day equipment turns (I am OK if the layover has more than six hours), unless it is set up like the the "run-through" operation found at CHI.

Oh and to keep this about "Parlour" cars, the one I was supposed to have on my last "Starlight" trip was not there. So I work for the company, and still haven't been in one! And I guess that will never happen.

OK enough rambling now!!! OBS...

Last edited by a moderator:
.......If the "Starlight" was able to operate on a three trainset cycle........

If? I thought you were going to explain that it could and how. I'm sorry I still don't get it. I guess I'm just wondering whh, if ithey could be run with threee train sets, why don't they? And, if they don't, I guess they just can't?

Thanks for the help trying to clarify, but I'm still not getting it.

I also understand that the UP has been marketing its rails and intermodal connection as an alternative to the Panama and Suez Canals.
The freight coast-to-coast container landbridge (bypassing the Panama Canal) actually began with Santa Fe in the 1970s. ATSF would transport from LA to Chicago, and handoff / pickup there with various East Coast freight railroads.

Union Pacific is just one of many Western railroads that picked up on the concept. In UP's case, much later.

The Coast Starlight runs with four trainsets. Don't need any Meteor smack.

And lest I be blamed for going off-topic, recall that the Pacific Parlour Cars are all original Santa Fe Hi-Level Lounge equipment. ;)

The Coast Starlight runs with four trainsets. Don't need any Meteor smack.
And lest I be blamed for going off-topic, recall that the Pacific Parlour Cars are all original Santa Fe Hi-Level Lounge equipment. ;)

OH OK....... no more "Meteor" smack. ;) Can we talk about "Silver Star" smack now? :unsure:

OBS... B)

Has anyone seen a parlour car since Nov 1st? I have reservations on the Starlight in December and am wondering if I will get the chance to enjoy it.

Has anyone seen a parlour car since Nov 1st? I have reservations on the Starlight in December and am wondering if I will get the chance to enjoy it.
I just saw one sitting at the Beech Grove facility. Didn't look like it was going anywhere anytime soon!

I just saw one sitting at the Beech Grove facility. Didn't look like it was going anywhere anytime soon!
Yeah the one at BG is no longer on the active roster, leaving only 4 PPC's in service baring other issues.

Southbound on 11/17/2006 with 120+ in SJC while picking up my tickets:

csl14dw4.jpg

Was Amtrak still using those ATSF cars that they had changed into Parlour cars??? They were great to ride in for wine tasting but I did not find it fun to stay there during the trip.

Bill

I've been at Union Station for the arrival or departure of 11/14, oh, about 10 times in the past three weeks...and every one had a parlor car (they've all been refurbished, and there are at least five altogether to choose from out of L.A.)

I've been at Union Station for the arrival or departure of 11/14, oh, about 10 times in the past three weeks...and every one had a parlor car (they've all been refurbished, and there are at least five altogether to choose from out of L.A.)
That's impossible as Amtrak only carries 4 Parlour cars on it's active roster. So there is no way that there could be 5 or more in LA. Amtrak still owns a fifth car out of the original six, but that fifth car is sitting in Beech Grove. MrFSS actually photographed the shell of that car two weeks ago and it wasn't in any condition to run, much less refurbished.

As other have noted and shown via pictures, Amtrak is still running the Parlour cars. The recent URPA newsletter confirms that Amtrak has reversed its earlier decision to remove the Parlour cars from the CS. However, the URPA newsletter also states that the attendant has been dropped from the Parlour car. While they will still do the wine & cheese tasting in the car, run by the dining car staff, all other food and services that used to be provided in the Parlour car are no more.

The car has mainly become just another Sightseer Lounge car now, although it still remains the exclusive domain of sleeping car passengers.

If you check the 8th St. yard on any given day, you can see a "spare" sitting there, ready to go (perhaps a leftover from recent difficulties, and the need to have an extra consist in case of severe delays)

If you check the 8th St. yard on any given day, you can see a "spare" sitting there, ready to go (perhaps a leftover from recent difficulties, and the need to have an extra consist in case of severe delays)
Last I saw from status reports posted on the net, that "spare" is really a bad ordered car. Which is why not every consist actually runs with a PPC. In fact back on the first page of this topic in post #5 JcCollins posted a status update of the 5 PPC's. It's about a month old now, so it's possible that at least one of the bad ordered cars is back in service, but that still doesn't leave any extra's floating around.

Would someone please tell the uninformed among us what words like "consist" and "bad ordered cars" mean, please? I won't even go into all of the abbreviations and strings of letters...thank you.

Last I saw from status reports posted on the net, that "spare" is really a bad ordered car. Which is why not every consist actually runs with a PPC. In fact back on the first page of this topic in post #5 JcCollins posted a status update of the 5 PPC's. It's about a month old now, so it's possible that at least one of the bad ordered cars is back in service, but that still doesn't leave any extra's floating around.

Even though bad ordered isn't on there, check out the unofficial Railroad Dictionary. Bad Ordered means there is a significant component of the car that is not functioning, i.e. A/C, plumbing, electrical, etc., therefore the car must be cut until the necessary repairs can be made.

Would someone please tell the uninformed among us what words like "consist" and "bad ordered cars" mean, please? I won't even go into all of the abbreviations and strings of letters...thank you.
The consist refers to the cars used to form the train that is running that day. Think of it as "the train consists of those particular cars."

PPC = Pacific Parlour Car.

CS = Coast Starlight

BG = Beech Grove (Amtrak's heavy repair/maintenance facility, located in Indiana near Indianapolis)

You won't find everything on the list, but definitions for many of the RR terms that we use around here can be found at Trains.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was Amtrak still using those ATSF cars that they had changed into Parlour cars??? They were great to ride in for wine tasting but I did not find it fun to stay there during the trip. Bill

That's what the Parlour cars are -- converted ATSF cars. No other type of car is called "Parlour".

Speaking of the Coast Starlight: how many of you know what happened during the last scene of the movie "The Italian Job" (the latest version of the movie)?

Just wonderful.

Was Amtrak still using those ATSF cars that they had changed into Parlour cars??? They were great to ride in for wine tasting but I did not find it fun to stay there during the trip.

Bill

That's what the Parlour cars are -- converted ATSF cars. No other type of car is called "Parlour".

Regarding my November 19th posting referencing the ending of the movie "The Italian Job", as I have not received notice of any posts answering my question: "What wonderful thing happens at the end of the movie 'The Italian Job' movie?"....I will now tell you:

The end of "The Italian Job" presents our now rich and successful heros celebrating in the most exotic place they can apparently think of: The PARLOUR CAR of the COAST STARLIGHT!

So if anyone whats to see what it looks like, as if you didn't already know, then rent the movie and not only will you see wonderful coverage of it's interior, the film ends on a long shot of the parlour car's exterior!

I can't believe no one but myself noticed this. It's a great way to let your friends know about the best things Amtrak has (or had) to offer. - Jimmy Neon

Regarding my November 19th posting referencing the ending of the movie "The Italian Job", as I have not received notice of any posts answering my question: "What wonderful thing happens at the end of the movie 'The Italian Job' movie?"....I will now tell you:
The end of "The Italian Job" presents our now rich and successful heroes celebrating in the most exotic place they can apparently think of: The PARLOUR CAR of the COAST STARLIGHT!

So if anyone whats to see what it looks like, as if you didn't already know, then rent the movie and not only will you see wonderful coverage of it's interior, the film ends on a long shot of the parlour car's exterior!

I can't believe no one but myself noticed this. It's a great way to let your friends know about the best things Amtrak has (or had) to offer. - Jimmy Neon
Aloha

Trying again, must have pushed the wrong ?? There was some prior thread about this film. As I remember the interior seen is of a still Parlour car. Moving shot is of a sightseer car, someplace other than LAUS

Check out the windows of the Parlour car

first the interior
9440186-S.jpg

then the exterior
9440184-S.jpg

And the Sightseer car
9836218-S.jpg

Ah faults most people won't pick up on. :lol: Like the P-42 that can be seen in WWII era Pearl Harbor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back