Amtrak Timetables

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northwestern

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Of all the questionable Amtrak decisions, in the past, I think that the most idiotic one has been Amtrak's inability to understand the value of timetables. I still have a 2015 hard copy of national Amtrak timetables and it has sort of become a bible. Of course, not up to date, but it still gives me some idea of Amtrak station stops with time information.

https://is.gd/Wg11c4

Of all the questionable Amtrak decisions, in the past, I think that the most idiotic one has been Amtrak's inability to understand the value of timetables. I still have a 2015 hard copy of national Amtrak timetables and it has sort of become a bible. Of course, not up to date, but it still gives me some idea of Amtrak station stops with time information.

https://is.gd/Wg11c4
Computer-generated timetables based on schedule data publicly released by Amtrak are available here:
RPA timetables

In addition, a member of this site has an archive of the most recently released official Amtrak timetables:
Amtrak Timetable Archives - Home

Thanks for the information, joelkfla. I have been using the RPA timetables.

However, Amtrak timetables should be on the Amtrak website, in pdf form as it once was. The article mentions the influx of airline people on Amtrak's board of directors. They should realize that Amtrak is not a plane, it's a train. Train passengers and plane passengers are not the same.

I would urge caution using the timetables on the RPA website. Some are not current. For example, the RPA Northeast timetable is from last summer misses multiple schedule changes and added trains. Also, the posted California Zephyr timetable does not reflect the new schedule times. Virtually every station has new timing, including the eastbound departure from Emeryville that is 45 minutes earlier than shown on RPA (now leaves 8:25 AM, not 9:10 AM).

This not to denigrate the work done to prepare the RPA timetables. It was and is an amazing and, I believe, volunteer effort. It is something that Amtrak could and should do but doesn't. But heed the warning posted on the site and the timetables - check Amtrak.com to get the latest information.

I would urge caution using the timetables on the RPA website. Some are not current. For example, the RPA Northeast timetable is from last summer misses multiple schedule changes and added trains. Also, the posted California Zephyr timetable does not reflect the new schedule times. Virtually every station has new timing, including the eastbound departure from Emeryville that is 45 minutes earlier than shown on RPA (now leaves 8:25 AM, not 9:10 AM).

This not to denigrate the work done to prepare the RPA timetables. It was and is an amazing and, I believe, volunteer effort. It is something that Amtrak could and should do but doesn't. But heed the warning posted on the site and the timetables - check Amtrak.com to get the latest information.

On each timetable page look for the sentence that begins with: "Timetable generated on" in the information block. Look at the date on which it was generated which appears following those words and verify that it is reasonably recent.

I have brought to the attention of RPA that they need to update the NEC timetables. They do have the information that is needed to generate newer timetables.

Last edited:
It is possible to generate schedules by date in PDF format on the Amtrak website on a computer. Searching by route name creates a schedule that shows only arrival times, and also lists all Thruway connections (one per page.) Alternatively, searching by origin and destination cities, and then selecting an individual train, creates a schedule that shows both arrival and departure time for each stop, but does not include Thruway connections.

Does Amtrak California, or any of the other state operations still distribute paper timetables?

(Besides the two mentioned)

Does Amtrak California, or any of the other state operations still distribute paper timetables?

Amtrak California does. Starting at the following page click down to the Schedule for each of the three lines:

https://amtrakcalifornia.com/

Amtrak Cascades schedule can be found as PDF at:

https://www.amtrakcascades.com/sites/default/files/amtrak-cascades-schedule-12-6-23.pdf

Downeaster can be found at:

https://amtrakdowneaster.com/schedule/

etc.

Also Metro North, which quit printing paper timetables after the pandemic hit, now has printable versions on its website. There was an intermediate period where the timetables were only viewable online in the old format, which was impossible to fit onto letter-size paper to print. The new printable version is a lot easier to use, though the New Haven line on 8.5 by 11 winds up being quite a wad of paper.

There is something I find helpful regarding the hard copy booklet of Amtrak timetables. I have a hard copy (2015) with a fold out map of the entire national Amtrak routes. Along the routes are numbers encircled. The numbers refer to page numbers, in the timetable booklet, for Amtrak trains along the route. For example, on a route going west from Chicago, it might have "82" or "84" along the route line. The "82" would be the page number for the Southwest Chief. The "84" would be the page number for the Calif. Zephyr. If you were planning a excursion on multiple Amtrak trains, such information could be helpful in seeing how various trains intersect and in looking up their schedules. On the Amtrak website, I wonder if they could have something similar for their national map.

The Michigan Rail Passengers Association publishes and distributes schedules for the Michigan Services trains at Michigan stations. So there are printed schedules available. But these are not printed/distributed by AMTRAK, if that's what you're asking.

NC By Train prints palmcards and small foldables that expend to show the Carolinian and Piedmont trains. Crescent, Silver service, and Palmetto trains are not included.

Pacific Surfliner has downloadable PDF timetables available on their website. Don't think printed (hard copy) ones are available.
Capitol Corridor (Calif.) has a PDF timetable available.
Amtrak San Joaquins have a PDF timetable available.

Pacific Surfliner has downloadable PDF timetables available on their website. Don't think printed (hard copy) ones are available.
Since Pacific Surfliners figure prominently in the beginnings and endings of our trips, we always download and print out a copy of the latest PSL timetable to have with us when we travel. It is particularly valuable when we’re preparing to arrive in Los Angeles on Southwest Chief No. 3. If our train is running late, and it looks like we’ll miss connecting with the next southbound PSL train to San Diego by a few minutes, we have the option to get off in Fullerton and catch it there.

Last edited:
Nice collection of very useful links Thank You. It's sad Amtrak insists on making their website so user unfriendly. Their page with schedules is better than nothing. I just cannot comprehend why they would force customers to look under every rock to try and fine info. Even on this schedule link page the only way to view the complete schedule is to click the print tab. Who in the world does this on their website?

On each timetable page look for the sentence that begins with: "Timetable generated on" in the information block. Look at the date on which it was generated which appears following those words and verify that it is reasonably recent.

I have brought to the attention of RPA that they need to update the NEC timetables. They do have the information that is needed to generate newer timetables.
NEC timetables have been updated (with mileage) - RPA seems to be having an issue getting them posted but here is the latest. NEC is subject to frequent changes and tweaks.

Attachments

• timetables_NE_Corridor2_Boston-Springfield_Washington_20240518_external.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back