Parlour Cars gone?

• Thread starter Guest_Amtrak_flyer_*
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to remember some trains pulling an extra sightseer lounge on the rear just for kids during the summer months, but that was a few years ago.

Someone talked to the Coast Starlight Service Manager to find out when that last day of the Parlour Car would be. He said he couldn't say because there STILL is a debate at the highest levels about what to do about them. Two vice presidents, Fromaux and Crosbie want to keep them.

Thanks for the update. I'll be on 11 tomorrow (sunday) out of san jose we'll see what happens.

Rode on 11 today (sunday) san jose-LA-San diego. Parlour 39775 was in service, appeared in good shape. Trip went smooth. According to customer service supervisor doing surveys on train, no decision has been made yet on the Parlour cars. He suggested sending an email from the website, he stressed that emails and letters are being taken very seriously at this point.

i received this reply from amtrak.com today:

Thank you for contacting us.
You are correct. As of October 30th, the Pacific Parlor Car on the Coast Starlight will be taken off the train.

(It may not be available of every train even before the 30th.)

We hope this information will be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Amtrak Customer Service
guess that ends the discussion, eh?

From other forums, there seems to be some difference of opinion on whether or not they will be coming off. I would suggest everyone who has an interest in these cars send emails and call to share your opinions.

I would send them to Customer Service and ask that they be forwarded to the appropriate Vice President and to the CEO.

Thank you for contacting us. You are correct. As of October 30th, the Pacific Parlor Car on the Coast Starlight will be taken off the train.

(It may not be available of every train even before the 30th.)

We hope this information will be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Amtrak Customer Service

Yes, it is of assistance. It assists me to fly instead of riding the train. :angry: :(

I was told the same by them on the phone the other day. Aparently all Customer Service has been told this information. Yet, there are still rumors that a Parlour may still run after 10/30 if available (but not advertised), and there is still an internal battle going on about wether to save them or scrap them.

I am sure there are regular riders on the West Coast who simply love the Parlour Cars, but for the majority of the long distance trains in the nation wide system, the Parlour Car is not important. When the improved and upgraded services were introduced on the Coast Starlight, the Parlour Cars, libraries, kiddie cars, wine tastings were all tremendous improvements, however given the congressional mandates and the focus on costs, these kinds of amenities cannot be supported by the prices charged for tickets and the associated labor costs prohibit their continuation.

Would I like to see them continue? Yes, or course, but it is not the end of the world if they don't - and it is a good thing to eliminate them if they are too expensive to repair and if the labor and mechanical costs are not met by potential revenue.

I am sure there are regular riders on the West Coast who simply love the Parlour Cars, but for the majority of the long distance trains in the nation wide system, the Parlour Car is not important. When the improved and upgraded services were introduced on the Coast Starlight, the Parlour Cars, libraries, kiddie cars, wine tastings were all tremendous improvements, however given the congressional mandates and the focus on costs, these kinds of amenities cannot be supported by the prices charged for tickets and the associated labor costs prohibit their continuation.
Would I like to see them continue? Yes, or course, but it is not the end of the world if they don't - and it is a good thing to eliminate them if they are too expensive to repair and if the labor and mechanical costs are not met by potential revenue.
I'd agree with you regarding the PPC's (Pacific Parlour Cars), as they are 50+ year old cars, they require an LSA to staff them, along with other associated expenses. I agree that it would be nice to see them continue, but in light of the expenses and the congressional mandates, I can reluctantly understand their being retired. :(

I would however have to disagree on the retirement of the Kiddie cars. These are basically standard Superliner cars, no different overall from any other Superliner car currently in use on 70% of the long distance services that Amtrak runs. Yes there is a little extra expense in terms of the movies shown and keeping the toys and games in the car, but overall it really costs little more to run this car when compared to any other Superliner coach. And the loss of revenue from the removed lower level seating is little different than the revenue lost by a coach/baggage car.

On the other hand, unless Amtrak was to convert still more Superliner coaches to Kiddie cars so as to expand this service to other routes, personally I think that the 5 existing Kiddie cars would make more sense running on the Auto Train than on the Coast Starlight.

I would suggest everyone who has an interest in these cars send emails and call to share your opinions.
I would send them to Customer Service and ask that they be forwarded to the appropriate Vice President and to the CEO.
Tell me what to say and exactly where to send it....

Allright then, so how many of us are going to fly west after arriving on the last "Metroliner" and ride on the last Parlor Car voyage? j/k! :p
Shame to see them go, but I think I can honestly imagine the headache they may have been to maintain as of late.
I agree that they must be a headache to repair...since they are so old, I wonder if Amtrak shop forces are having to fabricate their own parts to keep them running? And how long can they honestly do that before the cost overwhelms their meager shop budget? I too would be sorry to see them go!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd agree with you regarding the PPC's (Pacific Parlour Cars), as they are 50+ year old cars, they require an LSA to staff them, along with other associated expenses. I agree that it would be nice to see them continue, but in light of the expenses and the congressional mandates, I can reluctantly understand their being retired. :(

I was talking (via email) with the LSA that staffed my one and only train trip with my brother earlier this spring about the PPC and his job. If I understood him correctly, they removed the LSA position from the PPC and substituted an OBS. That meant no more adult beverages could be sold from that car. My LSA took a position in the Siteseer lounge and hates it. He was the life of the PPC and made my trip truly memorable. I loved that car so much that I spent 80% of my time in it (partly because I'm a huge Santa Fe passenger train fan). The fact that I could run up a small tab only added to my enjoyment.

I am thankful I got the chance.

I had a chance to ride on PPC few years ago. It was a very luxurious first-class! The seats are so comfortable and the free drinks! I reluctantly agree that the PPC is expensive to run, and it's sad to see let it go.

The only way to continue using PPC is to rent a private dome car. Sadly, it is expensive to rent unless we'll do it all together.

Are there pictures anywhere on the web of the interior of these Parlour Cars?
Aloha

Here is a picture from my Coast Starlight Gallary
9440182-M.jpg
If you want more, you can see the entire Gallary here.

I WAS ON THE PARLOUR CAR TODAY - AND YESTERDAY WITH THE PRESIDENT OF AMTRAK AND OTHER OFFICIALS. WORD IS, THEY'VE BEEN SAVED! LOBBYING THAT TOOK PLACE WITHIN THE LAST 36 HOURS. I took the Coast Starlight from Seattle to LA last Tuesday and returned this Tuesday - wine tasteing in the Parlour Car! But get this: they've fired all the licensed wine professionals who could sell the wine that's tasted and replaced them within the last 36 hours with a car attendent who couldn't even pronounce the grape types! To save money, they say, but really because the Bush admin wants to ruin the middle and lower classes - force them to buy gasoline or fly jets. Please pray for an admin change soon and write your representitives! Food on board is now largely pre-cooked and NO MORE BACON!! (Among many other changes over the last 6 months). SAVE OUR TRAINS! (I have many pics taken Oct. 24-25).

Allright then, so how many of us are going to fly west after arriving on the last "Metroliner" and ride on the last Parlor Car voyage? j/k! :p
Shame to see them go, but I think I can honestly imagine the headache they may have been to maintain as of late.

If your report is true, that's certainly good news. However, even though I personally tend to agree with your political sentiment, please refrain from making overly political statements on this forum that don't directly relate to passenger rail (i.e. your comments regarding the middle & lower classes). I find that those comments tend to spark needless arguments on the forum and don't really advance the cause of passenger rail.

Sorry for the political angle, if it wasn't related - let's just say that "privatizing" (if I spelled that right) has been the stated purpose for the bleeding of Amtrak for may years. It's no secret. During my 4 day and 2 nights on the Starlight I didn't know about the mechanical problems, but I don't see why repeated repairs on a particular train's favorite car is any less a mentionable than up-keep on the drive units or any other car (30 hours of maintanence is required for each hour a fighter jet is in the air <_< , just for comparison). In closeing, I promise to add whatever I learn about Amtrak - as I repeatedly take it to and from Chicago as well as California. Until now, the loss of the smoking car on the Northern run was my biggest gripe but it sure doesn't compare to current problems. Thank you.

If your report is true, that's certainly good news. However, even though I personally tend to agree with your political sentiment, please refrain from making overly political statements on this forum that don't directly relate to passenger rail (i.e. your comments regarding the middle & lower classes). I find that those comments tend to spark needless arguments on the forum and don't really advance the cause of passenger rail.

Sorry for the political angle, if it wasn't related - let's just say that "privatizing" (if I spelled that right) has been the stated purpose for the bleeding of Amtrak for may years. It's no secret. During my 4 day and 2 nights on the Starlight I didn't know about the mechanical problems, but I don't see why repeated repairs on a particular train's favorite car is any less a mentionable than up-keep on the drive units or any other car (30 hours of maintanence is required for each hour a fighter jet is in the air <_< , just for comparison). In closeing, I promise to add whatever I learn about Amtrak - as I repeatedly take it to and from Chicago as well as California. Until now, the loss of the smoking car on the Northern run was my biggest gripe but it sure doesn't compare to current problems. Thank you.
But James,

These cars are pretty much 50 years old and the company that built them is long gone. Where are they getting the parts? A friend I know who works for Amtrak maintenance tells me that shop forces fabricate them. This has to be very expensive and must take lots of time. So I don't think your comparison with fighter jet maintenance holds. I can understand Amtrak's reluctance to continue to use the Parlour Cars. Perhaps it's time for the company to put out bids for new equipment? My fervent Hope!

(edited to fix quote - AmtrakWPK)

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree that aimless political rants aren't needed. i also think we cannot consider passenger rail in isolation. if we were in al gore's second term instead of bush's, i believe, we would be having different and more optimisitic discussions of the future of amtrak and passenger rail. being from the "middle and lower classes" i feel the bush administration and friends have no concern for my transportation needs,my family budget or the environment. to advance the cause of passenger rail we must be politically active.

Unfortunetly everything about Amtrak is political.

David Gunn's Firing. Mineta's nationwide tour of blatant untruths (lies). Mica's and Mc Cains privitazation ideas in Congress. Trent Lott and the others trying to push 1516 through the senate for the good of Amtrak. Senator Menedez of NJ extreme distrust of the Amtrak board of Bush appointees. I could go on forever.

Everythings connected but this is an Amtrak Forum, I think most of us are smart enough to put two and two togteher.

Back to topic, I hope the Parlour cars are saved. When I was on last week the onboard supervisor traveling said they were getting alot of feedback from travelers concerning keeping the parlour car. Everyone forgets a few High level cars still ride the rails everyday on the heartland flyer. The parlours can be maintained if the will to do so is there.

FRJ, a great number of the parts for the elder members of the fleet do have to be machined as you thought, which is time consuming and expensive. This is a large part of the reason why a great deal of the Heritage fleet is being retired. The Parlour cars however are a different animal IMHO. These cars were customized specifically for the Starlight and have a great deal of features inside of them. I've inserted some photos below.

amtrak-tuesday5.jpg

parlourcar.jpg

1015_001.jpg

1015_002.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back