nervous

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the higher we are, the better. ... I'm hoping I reach new heights. However, I have to admit that if we start passing people sitting on clouds... playing harps, I'm-a gonna start freaking out! :unsure: ... :blink: ... :wacko: ... :lol:
On my next train trip, I'll be reaching heights of 30,000 feet! :lol:

You know it's bad when you have to FLY :eek: cross country one way just to take a train back! :p (Luckily, there is no cure! :lol: )
What? You fly? Like in an airplane? I don't believe it! I guess you can call me a "Doubting Thomas the Train", but I'm not buying it... not THE TRAVELER!!!"

the higher we are, the better. ... I'm hoping I reach new heights. However, I have to admit that if we start passing people sitting on clouds... playing harps, I'm-a gonna start freaking out! :unsure: ... :blink: ... :wacko: ... :lol:
On my next train trip, I'll be reaching heights of 30,000 feet! :lol:

You know it's bad when you have to FLY :eek: cross country one way just to take a train back! :p (Luckily, there is no cure! :lol: )
What? You fly? Like in an airplane? I don't believe it! I guess you can call me a "Doubting Thomas the Train", but I'm not buying it... not THE TRAVELER!!!"
You probably had a heart attack! :eek: So, to get your heart re-started, I'll tell you my plan! :ph34r: (You KNOW I always have a plan! :lol: )

Yes - I'm flying out west! :eek: But I'm flying on Continental Airlines! And CO mileage transfers to AGR at 1:1 - so along with my other CO mileage, I will transfer them to AGR. So my flying will give me 2,593 AGR points to use for my next next next next next next next trip! :D

You didn't actually think I'd give up earning AGR points, did you? :huh:

:p

...Yes - I'm flying out west! :eek: But I'm flying on Continental Airlines! And CO mileage transfers to AGR at 1:1 - so along with my other CO mileage, I will transfer them to AGR. So my flying will give me 2,593 AGR points to use for my next trip! :D :p
The funny thing is that you will earn more AGR points for less money flying out west than you would by taking Amtrak. To earn 2600 AGR points on Amtrak, your fare would have to be $1300 one way. I'm willing to bet you're paying a whole lot less then $1300 on CO.

The funny thing is that you will earn more AGR points for less money flying out west than you would by taking Amtrak. To earn 2600 AGR points on Amtrak, your fare would have to be $1300 one way. I'm willing to bet you're paying a whole lot less then $1300 on CO.
You're right! I found a great one-way fare of ...

$112 plus taxes - I think it came to $135! :D

And besides that, my traveling companion also got the fare! Plus he may be flying back (for the same fare one way)! Plus he signed up for the CO credit card - with a 25K signup bonus! So he will have over 30K total! :D

And since he doesn't fly that much, he agreed to transfer those miles to his AGR account. But since he doesn't travel by train all that much, he may let me use them! So, I may have 30K more essentially! :p

You KNOW I'm always thinking of ways to get more points! :D (Of course so I can use the least amount of points for the longest distance! :lol: )

I suggest a cheap pillow, some kind of blanket, if you can fit it (we brought a full sized bed blanket :) ).

Also a deck of cards, books, whatever, for entertainment.

Me and my 60~ yr. old dad did a r/t 4 day (o/w) cross country trip and slept quite well. I found the first night both ways there were adjustment issues, but after that I could sleep restfully through the night :) . Just bring a BIG snck box, the train food is expensive and pretty crappy.

HAVE FUN !!!!

Regards, Logan

What the picture of the WPYRR doesn't show is the separate coach and flatbed car for the Chilkoot Pass hikers ... we were in a completely separate car from the "regular" passengers, probably because the majority of us stunk pretty badly after 4 or 5 days on the trail! Fortunately the RR folks didn't make us put our backpacks in the flatbed car ... we were able to take them with us onto the coach car.

But it was a fun ride back to Skagway down through the pass!

It was pretty funny to watch the faces of the tourists at the Skagway station as we got off our coach car ... 30+ smelly scrungy looking hikers toting large backpacks ... it was as if we were visitors from another planet.

What the picture of the WPYRR doesn't show is the separate coach and flatbed car for the Chilkoot Pass hikers ... we were in a completely separate car from the "regular" passengers, probably because the majority of us stunk pretty badly after 4 or 5 days on the trail! Fortunately the RR folks didn't make us put our backpacks in the flatbed car ... we were able to take them with us onto the coach car.
But it was a fun ride back to Skagway down through the pass!

It was pretty funny to watch the faces of the tourists at the Skagway station as we got off our coach car ... 30+ smelly scrungy looking hikers toting large backpacks ... it was as if we were visitors from another planet.
Now that would be an adventure! Imagine doing that trip several times hauling up 2000 lbs as per required by the government!

I'm probably going to get some flak for posting this, but I have a 100% success rate for sneaking into showers in the sleepers as a coach passenger. The dining car staff, who act as guardians of the sleeper section, don't remember every single sleeper passenger, of course, especially those that just got on. The trick is to confidently and purposefully walk through the dining car, don't make eye contact, and walk directly into the sleeper car. Once there, you may run into the sleeper car attendant, if you're really unlucky, but again, chances are he won't stop you. Worse case scenario, you may have to tip him $10 for the privilege of using the shower.
I don't feel too bad about doing this, because the showers in the sleepers tend to go unused anyway.
I assume you also leave without paying the check in restaurants, and jump the turnstile on transit. Because those are the same crime as a coach passenger using the sleeper shower: Theft of services.

I hope you get caught and put off the train the next time you try this.
I totally agree this is WRONG!! Even if the attendant says you "can" Amtrak says you "can not". So yes, the attendant would not be doing their job and should get in trouble for allowing it if they knew about it. Even worse if they took money to look the other way. As I said on the other topic about this subject, as a paying sleeper customer I would be upset to know this happen for many reasons. Theft being at the top of my list. Sanitation is another issue. Morality of right and wrong is key.
The comment""I don't feel too bad about doing this, because the showers in the sleepers tend to go unused anyway."" Is like saying while I am gone on vacation and no one is home that you can just used my shower because it is going unused anyway.

It amazes me that people think if they don't get caught doing something wrong that it is OK to do it. I venture to say every person in a prison somewhere wishes they had not got caught too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm probably going to get some flak for posting this, but I have a 100% success rate for sneaking into showers in the sleepers as a coach passenger. The dining car staff, who act as guardians of the sleeper section, don't remember every single sleeper passenger, of course, especially those that just got on. The trick is to confidently and purposefully walk through the dining car, don't make eye contact, and walk directly into the sleeper car. Once there, you may run into the sleeper car attendant, if you're really unlucky, but again, chances are he won't stop you. Worse case scenario, you may have to tip him $10 for the privilege of using the shower.
I don't feel too bad about doing this, because the showers in the sleepers tend to go unused anyway.
I assume you also leave without paying the check in restaurants, and jump the turnstile on transit. Because those are the same crime as a coach passenger using the sleeper shower: Theft of services.

I totally agree this is WRONG!! Even if the attendant says you "can" Amtrak says you "can not". So yes, the attendant would not be doing their job and should get in trouble for allowing it if they knew about it. Even worse if they took money to look the other way. As I said on the other topic about this subject, as a paying sleeper customer I would be upset to know this happen for many reasons. Theft being at the top of my list. Sanitation is another issue. Morality of right and wrong is key.It amazes me that people think if they don't get caught doing something wrong that it is OK to do it. I venture to say every person in a prison somewhere wishes they had not got caught too.
I too agree that it is wrong. On a small scale it's the same mentality that makes one think that not only is it ok to illegally cross the sovern borders of another country for personal gain, but to also take advantage of services, at the expense of others, when they are not entitled to them.

I totally agree this is WRONG!! Even if the attendant says you "can" Amtrak says you "can not". So yes, the attendant would not be doing their job and should get in trouble for allowing it if they knew about it. Even worse if they took money to look the other way. As I said on the other topic about this subject, as a paying sleeper customer I would be upset to know this happen for many reasons. Theft being at the top of my list. Sanitation is another issue. Morality of right and wrong is key.It amazes me that people think if they don't get caught doing something wrong that it is OK to do it. I venture to say every person in a prison somewhere wishes they had not got caught too.
I too agree that it is wrong. On a small scale it's the same mentality that makes one think that not only is it ok to illegally cross the sovern borders of another country for personal gain, but to also take advantage of services, at the expense of others, when they are not entitled to them.

Maybe I'm too liberal (or too Dutch) in these kind of things, but I really couldn't care less. Not when I'm in a sleeper at

least.

Ruud

Where I come from, people who do these kinds of things are called thieves.

From a practical standpoint, a rail car has only a finite capacity for water storage. Showers use lots of water, even the water-stingy showers on Amtrak. The water storage capacity of the sleeping cars was set based on the anticipated use by the occupants of that car. If a parade of coach passengers started sneaking into the sleepers to steal showers, it is possible that the sleeping cars would run out of water prior to the next servicing stop. Then, no showers for anyone.

Coach passengers using the sleeper showers are not only helping themselves to a service they did not pay for, they are possibly denying that service to those who did. If a shower is critical to one's well being, then ante-up for a sleeper.

From a practical standpoint, a rail car has only a finite capacity for water storage. Showers use lots of water, even the water-stingy showers on Amtrak. The water storage capacity of the sleeping cars was set based on the anticipated use by the occupants of that car. If a parade of coach passengers started sneaking into the sleepers to steal showers, it is possible that the sleeping cars would run out of water prior to the next servicing stop. Then, no showers for anyone.
Coach passengers using the sleeper showers are not only helping themselves to a service they did not pay for, they are possibly denying that service to those who did. If a shower is critical to one's well being, then ante-up for a sleeper.
Very good point!

Doesn't the water tanks for each sleeper car provide water for showers & the sinks, but technically potable (drinkable) as well? Aren't the toilets tied into the same water tanks?

The showers are there not just for sleeper passengers, but in the transdorm it's used for the employees! I would prefer that they would be able to keep clean during the trip.

And also you need some water for cleaning up those bathrooms, too.

When you purchase a sleeper, having a shower is a selling point. Besides having a bed & privacy, the shower was another

reason for us to get bedrooms. And yes, pay extra for the trip. Realizing not everyone can or is willing to pay more for the 'extras', does not excuse helping yourself to those extras. Most people wouldn't go to a concert, pay $30 & then expect to sit in the $300 seats without paying more, or go to a hotel with a restaurant, eat, then try to sneak into one of the rooms for a nap or shower.

Doesn't this bring up the whole security issue? If Amtrak was intending to allow just anyone to go through the sleeper cars then they would have to provide locks and keys like hotels do.

The person posting here probably would not steal from peoples luggage or things left in the sleepers while they were out of the sleeper car but someone else might if given free entry to the sleepers.

Just a bad idea all around in my opinion.

Maybe I'm too liberal (or too Dutch) in these kind of things, but I really couldn't care less. Not when I'm in a sleeper atleast.
Would you feel the same way if you were in your sleeper, went to take a shower and saw 10 coach passengers in line to use the shower in your car - and you had a 1-2 hour wait? :huh: But instead of waiting, you go back to your room. Then 2 hours later, you go back to the shower - and find 5 new coach passengers in line? :huh:

An hour later, you finally get into the shower - and find all the towels are used and that there is no water left and the next station stop is 2 hours away!

Do you still care less? :huh: :rolleyes:

Doesn't this bring up the whole security issue? If Amtrak was intending to allow just anyone to go through the sleeper cars then they would have to provide locks and keys like hotels do.The person posting here probably would not steal from peoples luggage or things left in the sleepers while they were out of the sleeper car but someone else might if given free entry to the sleepers.

Just a bad idea all around in my opinion.

Good point. There are locks on the roomettes/bedrooms, but they are not like hotel rooms. They lock from the inside only. No keys. Does anyone know if there was ever keyed locks on the sleeper doors? I realize that it is rare that something is stolen from them, but still I think it would be a good idea. It would also prevent people from trying to sneak in and use a bedroom/roomette without paying for it. They could also have the keys work for the bathroom or shower, mostly the shower. i have no problem with someone using the bathroom that is from coach in an emergency, but they should not be using the shower.

Does anyone know if there was ever keyed locks on the sleeper doors?
The only rooms that have locks from the outside are the crew's rooms in the trans-dorm. Part of the reason is in an emergency, crew could not get in. True, in a hotel they could knock down the door and later repair that one door. But I don't know many hotels that would close the whole building (all 300-400 rooms) just to fix that one door. Amtrak would have to bad order that car to fix it.

Another reason is that the sleeper attendant could not get in to set the room - because you got off and "forgot" to leave it unlocked!

The only rooms that have locks from the outside are the crew's rooms in the trans-dorm. Part of the reason is in an emergency, crew could not get in. True, in a hotel they could knock down the door and later repair that one door. But I don't know many hotels that would close the whole building (all 300-400 rooms) just to fix that one door. Amtrak would have to bad order that car to fix it.

Another reason is that the sleeper attendant could not get in to set the room - because you got off and "forgot" to leave it unlocked!
A simple solution. Master key.

Now, passengers losing keys would be a bigger issue.

A simple solution. Master key.

Now, passengers losing keys would be a bigger issue.
Of course the attendant would need a master key. Hotels use them! I would expect that the unused rooms should be locked. They can unlock them prior to someone boarding for that room. That would make perfect sense. I actually like the idea of the attendant unlocking it for you or handing you the key. Or picking it up w/your ticket. It may not even be neccesary to have the rooms keyed differently. But the keys could be specific for that car. Conductor or attendant could have the extras stored somewhere.

Lots of good ideas in these postings,however probably not gonna happen due to cost, NIH(not invented here!),

Amtrak desk jockeys, maybe even union rules?In the old days according to the movies(I never rode a sleeper

as a kid, Railroad passes were for day coach(!lol)the conductor and or attendants locked the bathrooms in

the stations since they dumped on the tracks, also the bedrooms locked but not the sections iIIRC?

Perhaps some old timers have this answer!I suggest that the SCAs be more available @ all times, especially

in stations, during meals and special times for sleeping car pax, thats really what they are paid for to ensure

a safe,comfortable and secure jourmey!!!!!

It could just be the credit card type lock on the entry door to the sleeper car. There would not even have to be locks on each roomette and bedroom, just the door into the car. That way it would not affect the attendants trying to do their job. Only way "in" to the sleeper car is to use the card. Going "out" would not be a factor just open the door.

Don't even think there would be much grumble about a slight rise in price of sleepers to offset the cost of installing them.

And yes, I realize a good thief can still find a way to open that lock but it might deter them long enough to be seen.

It could just be the credit card type lock on the entry door to the sleeper car. There would not even have to be locks on each roomette and bedroom, just the door into the car. That way it would not affect the attendants trying to do their job. Only way "in" to the sleeper car is to use the card.
But what if you had a room on the 3rd sleeper? Would you need to carry 3 keys? :huh: And what if they substitute or add another sleeper? :huh:

And what about "trains" 808 and 807 (1 coach added between CHI and MSP only). This coach is put on the back of the EB - behind the PDX sleeper! So those passengers MUST go through the PDX sleeper in order to get to the rest of the train (including the Diner and Sightseer)! [No, I don't care for it either!] Do we leave them without any food for the entire day? :huh: (They wouldn't have a key to the sleeper!)

It could just be the credit card type lock on the entry door to the sleeper car. There would not even have to be locks on each roomette and bedroom, just the door into the car. That way it would not affect the attendants trying to do their job. Only way "in" to the sleeper car is to use the card.
But what if you had a room on the 3rd sleeper? Would you need to carry 3 keys? :huh: And what if they substitute or add another sleeper? :huh:

And what about "trains" 808 and 807 (1 coach added between CHI and MSP only). This coach is put on the back of the EB - behind the PDX sleeper! So those passengers MUST go through the PDX sleeper in order to get to the rest of the train (including the Diner and Sightseer)! [No, I don't care for it either!] Do we leave them without any food for the entire day? :huh: (They wouldn't have a key to the sleeper!)
The reason I said keys not card locks is because it would be cheaper & just as efficient. You wouldn't have to worry about power issues. And, rather than a key to the sleeper car door, it would be to the rooms/shower. If someone needs access to pass through as in 808 & 807, then it wouldn't be a problem for those in coach getting to the diner. If they substitute the sleeper, then the keys could be in that sleeper. Maybe in roomette #1? This whole thing could be avoided if some would leave other people's belongings alone, & not help themself to stuff/or the showers. I have heard a few (not many) stories of attempted theft, (usually in coach) taking snacks from sleepers, & now accessing the showers. Locks help keep some honest. But as mentioned elsewhere, if someone want to steal, they will try to find a way.

I have not taken my first trip yet and have a lot to learn. So I had not even thought about other sleeper car people having to go through my sleeper to get to the dining room. But if it was one lock that worked for all sleepers then it could work. Or as sunchaser said just locking the rooms and the showers and bathrooms would also work. And yes it is a shame we even have to have this conversation isn't it. Kind of like in the old days you did not have to lock you doors at home either but these days nothing is safe for long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back