nervous

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning our first train trip. My husband has always wanted to travel by train, I'm a little nervous. We are planning on Grandforks to Portland and then off to San Francisco for a couple of days and then return. We can only get coach seats at this time. Any advice for a nervous traveller? Also are the seats fairly comfortable and quiet to sleep?

Thankyou

heather

I'm planning our first train trip. My husband has always wanted to travel by train, I'm a little nervous. We are planning on Grandforks to Portland and then off to San Francisco for a couple of days and then return. We can only get coach seats at this time. Any advice for a nervous traveller? Also are the seats fairly comfortable and quiet to sleep?
Thankyou

heather
Step 1. Read this forum :lol: you can find almost anything out about any train on this forum and if you can't find the answer you can ask and there are people on this board teeming with knowledge.

The train is a really relaxing and fun way to travel. The two trains you mentioned have have most members favorite coach seats. You should be able to get decent sleep aboard the train.

First, welcome to Amtrak Unlimited! You've come to the right place for information and opinions on Amtrak travel.

One immediate suggestion is to look at the Amtrak Travel Tips pages maintained by On-Track On-Line. Those pages will answer many of your "nuts and bolts" questions about what it is like to travel by Amtrak.

OTOL Amtrak Tips

In specific answer to your question, the coach seats on Amtrak have very generous leg room (pitch), and are quite wide. With two of you travelling, you will almost certainly get a pair together, so that makes the seat partner issue a non-issue. The seats have a decent, but not great recline. Depending on the circumstances, the car may be quiet, or not so quiet. It all depends on who's travelling.

The ability to sleep in Amtrak coach seats depends on one's ability to sleep in less than ideal circumstances. Some people can sleep anywhere under any conditions, and they do fine. Others (like me) find sleeping in a seat virtually impossible, so that becomes an issue for Amtrak overnight travel in coach. I know some apply some medicinal remedies to help sleeping in coach. In short, how coach will work all depends.

I'm sure others will chime in. Again, welcome to AU.

Be sure to bring your own pillow because the one they give out are really thin.

The best pillow is the three doller one at Wal-mart, I allways stop there and pick one up before boarding my first train on a trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Heather, and welcome to the forum.

The seats in coach are somewhat like a recliner. They get a little uncomfortable when you sit for a long time, but during the day you can get up and walk around. They usually pass around little pillows, which work better than the ones at home, which are too big. Picture taking a pillow from your bed and using it on your recliner. Just too big.

I think that once you get on the train and then come back home you'll want to do it all over again.

Do you know what is making your nervous? If you can pinpoint exactly what it is, we might be able to help you.

Let us know if there are other questions.

Betty

Almost everyone I have "turned on" to Amtrak has always remarked about the size of the seats and the "roominess" of the train. I'm a tad bit concerned about you going that far in coach. Now if your in the 20's maybe 30's, you'll do fine, but coach can be kinda tough if your more older. If I'm overnighting it on a train, I almost always have a roomette. (but not always) I have a very physical job and my body looks and feels like a 70 year old man that played pro football for 15 years. (I'm 46)You can always "upgrade" while onboard if rooms are available and ALWAYS wait until the wheels are moving on the train. You will get a sleeper room at the lowest bucket fare instead of the price that was being charged while the train was sitting at a station.

Nervous? :unsure: Don't be at all my friend, kick back, relax, take your watch(s) off and get some long awaited down time. Its now time for you to replace your nervousness with excitement! :)

Welcome aboard!

You may want to try and get an onboard upgrade for at least one of the nights of your travel. (You don't necessarily have to get it for every night of your trip! You could say go coach 1 night, get a room 1 night and then go coach. This may save money!) It (the cost of the room) may seem alot, but remember, it includes all meals in the dining car! (When in coach, you must pay for your meals.) So you may save $30-$50 a day - per person! And the cost of the room is not per person, but per room!

The routes you are on are considered by many to be among the best on Amtrak! :D

Finally, have fun! And let us know how much you enjoyed the trip - and when your next one will be! :)

:) Is the train to PDX sold out, perhaps you could get a roomette(bedrooms are very pricey on this train

in the summer)to Seattle, then take the train down to PDX and the Bay Area. The earlier you book the better,

lots of info on sleepers,fares etc. in this forum, coach is not that bad but two nights might be the luimit for us

"experienced" folks!As they said the meals are included on first class and the food is pretty good on this

train, looking forward to the buffalo meatloaf on my trip in July!Bon voyage!Welcome to the best club in the

world! :cool:

:) Follow up: also take a light blanket,cotton is good and consider a sleep shade for your eyes,

sometimes depending on your seat and when the train stops, noise and light might make it difficult to sleep!The seats are as

comfortable as business class on airplanes, better than coach on a jet!(and you can get up and walk around

and dont have to take off your clothes and be hassled like @ an airport!!Remember too you can take snacks,food and

drink(non-alcoholic except in sleepers) which saves you $$$ and also you dont have to drink PEPSI!!!!!!

:) Is the train to PDX sold out, perhaps you could get a roomette(bedrooms are very pricey on this trainin the summer)to Seattle, then take the train down to PDX and the Bay Area.
The only thing about this option (going via Seattle) is that it requires an overnight in Seattle! Westbound, the Empire Builder is scheduled to arrive into Seattle a few minutes after the Coast Starlight departs from Seattle. Going via Portland is a same day (4 hour) connection!

And I also want to add that even if a sweater is not needed to be worn, it comes in handy rolled up and used as another pillow or as a head shade for sleeping (to cover your head from the light)! ;)

:) follow up on your return:the seattle vs. pdx info is correct, however there is no meal service(box food)

from spokane to pdx, vs. no lounge from spokane to seattle. Also the dreaded bus ride from

Klamath Falls to Pasco to connect with #8 to Chi is NOT as good as #8 out of Seattle with the diner!

Portland is probably a prettier town than Seattle all things considered but both are great!!!

And if in the bay area have youy considered the NAPA Wine Train, its on the "Bucket List" of

things to do before you die!!!Im going in July, has anyone else taken this trip?????(I know its pricey

but what isnt in the Bay Area and West Coast!!!

Hey, I lived in Grand Forks for 5 years. So take it from me. You should have nothing to worry. Like others have said, you're in for a very scenic ride on one of America's most popular trains. If you really want to be in a sleeper, more often then not someone will cancel. So check back often on Amtrak's website. Often times one will pop up. If you do get stuck in coach, its not that bad. They provide pillows but you can bring your own bigger one. I like to wear a hooded sweatshirt and bought a good eye mask for sleeping in coach. I sleep really well. You are free to move about the train and don't forget to visit the Sightseer Lounge Car for viewing. Also have a few meals in the dining car. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Also the dreaded bus ride from Klamath Falls to Pasco to connect with #8 to Chi is NOT as good as #8 out of Seattle with the diner!
With the improved OTP of the CS, they have stopped the bus ride months ago! :) Now it is a direct connection to the EB in Portland again!
Not to mention that the bus ride was to connect the north bound Coast Starlight to the westbound Empire Builder. Heather is going the other way, eastbound Builder to the southbound Coast Starlight. There was never a bus ride in this direction.

:) follow up on your return:the seattle vs. pdx info is correct, however there is no meal service(box food)from spokane to pdx, vs. no lounge from spokane to seattle. Also the dreaded bus ride from

Klamath Falls to Pasco to connect with #8 to Chi is NOT as good as #8 out of Seattle with the diner!

Portland is probably a prettier town than Seattle all things considered but both are great!!!

And if in the bay area have youy considered the NAPA Wine Train, its on the "Bucket List" of

things to do before you die!!!Im going in July, has anyone else taken this trip?????(I know its pricey

but what isnt in the Bay Area and West Coast!!!

To Jim Hudson regarding Napa Valley Wine Train. My family had a Christmas tradition for several years of riding the lunch train on Christmas Eve. What fun! At the end of the 3 hour ride, we were all so relaxed, we almost had to be poured off the train! And that was even true for the non-drinkers!

My dad helped refurbish the RPO car you will see by the side of the track at the station. Usually it is locked, but go in the office at the station and tell them you are a friend of Ray Balch and you would like the key. They usually have no problem with that.

Enjoy the ride!!

The ability to sleep in Amtrak coach seats depends on one's ability to sleep in less than ideal circumstances. Some people can sleep anywhere under any conditions, and they do fine. Others (like me) find sleeping in a seat virtually impossible, so that becomes an issue for Amtrak overnight travel in coach. I know some apply some medicinal remedies to help sleeping in coach. In short, how coach will work all depends.
Yea, I am like you. I can't sleep in a seat.

One thing to add, is that seating is never more than 2. There is no "middle seat" like on a airline. Therefore, the OP and her husband don't have to worry about sharing their row with a stranger.

However, unlike on an airline, there is no pre-assigned seating. The OP and her husband aren't guaranteed to get two seats together.

Also the dreaded bus ride from Klamath Falls to Pasco to connect with #8 to Chi is NOT as good as #8 out of Seattle with the diner!
With the improved OTP of the CS, they have stopped the bus ride months ago! :) Now it is a direct connection to the EB in Portland again!
Not to mention that the bus ride was to connect the north bound Coast Starlight to the westbound Empire Builder. Heather is going the other way, eastbound Builder to the southbound Coast Starlight. There was never a bus ride in this direction.

If she's going eastbound on the Builder to connect with the southbound Coast Starlight, that's a heckuva run! Around the world, in fact! :lol: Eastbound is toward Chicago, westbound to Portland and Seattle.

If she's going eastbound on the Builder to connect with the southbound Coast Starlight, that's a heckuva run! Around the world, in fact! :lol: Eastbound is toward Chicago, westbound to Portland and Seattle.
You beat me to it! :angry: :D

The bus ride was from the NB CS to the EASTbound EB! ;) If I had to take a (too long) bus ride to get to PDX from KFS, I'd REALLY be PO'ed! :angry:

I think you got that one flip-flopped. The northbound CS used to have that bus connection to catch the eastbound EB. But yes, Heather is going the other way so there's no bus connection.

You beat me to it! :angry: :D

The bus ride was from the NB CS to the EASTbound EB! ;) If I had to take a (too long) bus ride to get to PDX from KFS, I'd REALLY be PO'ed! :angry:
Ah, I didn't see the second page. You beat me to it by several hours, haha.

Thankyou to all the seasoned travellers. I think the nerves are because I don't know what to expect. The only rail car adventure I've been on is the sight seeing one in Alaska. I was scared to death.... they have summer students driving this thing. I was feeling all good about it till I saw where we were going. The hubby road between the cars taking pictures, and I lay on the floor of the train, with all the sweet seniors patting my back...lol...

I'm sure it can't be that bad...

My husband is so excited. We figure if we can't cut the ride in coach will look for a cancelled roomette. He of course could sleep upside down in a city bus... I'm not a good sleeper no matter where I am. So I'll just relax, read and enjoy the scenery... and hopefully not be too panicked... It's a long trip but we will get 4 nights in San Francisco once we land at the pier. We have been all around that area in the car but never stayed in the city. So that should also be fun. I think the hubby is going to be hooked on this mode of transportation. He was a long distance truck driver for many years, and never had time to admire the scenery... so here goes nothing...lol

I"m packing all those items as suggested. What is the best item to pack overnight essentials in? We are taking too large suitcases and I'm thinking I should check them and just carry an overnight type bag, with the required water, snacks, books, and IPOD with headphones. I also have a scanner, which I'm hesitant to bring over the border.. they can be funny about those things at the old border crossing.

As for bathrooms... I see that showers are not available.. is there room in the washrooms to freshen up a bit.

Thankyou everyone

Heather

Thankyou to all the seasoned travellers. I think the nerves are because I don't know what to expect. The only rail car adventure I've been on is the sight seeing one in Alaska. I was scared to death.... they have summer students driving this thing. I was feeling all good about it till I saw where we were going. The hubby road between the cars taking pictures, and I lay on the floor of the train, with all the sweet seniors patting my back...lol...
I'm sure it can't be that bad...

My husband is so excited. We figure if we can't cut the ride in coach will look for a cancelled roomette. He of course could sleep upside down in a city bus... I'm not a good sleeper no matter where I am. So I'll just relax, read and enjoy the scenery... and hopefully not be too panicked... It's a long trip but we will get 4 nights in San Francisco once we land at the pier. We have been all around that area in the car but never stayed in the city. So that should also be fun. I think the hubby is going to be hooked on this mode of transportation. He was a long distance truck driver for many years, and never had time to admire the scenery... so here goes nothing...lol

I"m packing all those items as suggested. What is the best item to pack overnight essentials in? We are taking too large suitcases and I'm thinking I should check them and just carry an overnight type bag, with the required water, snacks, books, and IPOD with headphones. I also have a scanner, which I'm hesitant to bring over the border.. they can be funny about those things at the old border crossing.

As for bathrooms... I see that showers are not available.. is there room in the washrooms to freshen up a bit.

Thankyou everyone

Heather
Heather,

Why so nervous? If you allow yourself to relax, you will enjoy yourself more! You can use a carry on 28"x 22" X 14".

You could also bring a cooler for food if you want. I would highly recommend getting a roomette if you can. The bathrooms are real small, but you could take a washcloth/baggie for clean ups too.

Relax & have a good trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back