nervous

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there's room to freshen up in the washrooms but then again, I don't need to be too fresh. :lol: One issue I know some have is being able to wash their hair. There are waterless shampoos that are available for that. The times I've traveled coach, I've only gone overnight so it wasn't a problem, and when I did take a longer trip I had a roomette with acess to a shower, so I've never had to do that. But there should be room enough to clean up.

You're correct, that there are no showers in coach, but there is a larger changing room in each car. There are also 5 rest rooms in each car. (The sleepers also have a shower in each car.)

The Superliners (bi-level trains - which the Empire Builder and Coast Starlight are) have a large storage area on the lower level. You can store your bags there (if you wish) and have access to then at any time. But note anyone else does also - but they also realize you have access to there bags also. (I would not be too worried about that.) If you check bags, you have no access to them until your final destination. The drawback, YOU must transfer the bags at the connection points! (If the bags are checked, they will be transferred for you.)

Are you also aware that you will take a bus from Emeryville to San Francisco - across the Bay? :huh: Amtrak does not go to San Francisco itself.

You mentioned "across the border" - I assume you mean you live in Canada? :huh: These 2 trains do not cross the international border.

Thankyou to all the seasoned travellers. I think the nerves are because I don't know what to expect. The only rail car adventure I've been on is the sight seeing one in Alaska. I was scared to death.... they have summer students driving this thing. I was feeling all good about it till I saw where we were going. The hubby road between the cars taking pictures, and I lay on the floor of the train, with all the sweet seniors patting my back...lol...
One thing you need not worry about is the engineers on Amtrak trains in general, and the Empire Builder in particular. They are all old, terribly experienced, and know their routes like the backs of their hands, every signal, every grade crossing, every switch. You'll be on BNSF's mainline, which is maintained to very high standards, if only because of the vast number of fast container trains that go on it. You're vastly safer on the train than you are driving U.S. 2, and the seats are more comfortable than those in any automobile. When was the last time someone got hurt on the Empire Builder? 1945?

I'd say take a deck of cards along, but my wife and I are very attached to the deck we bought on the Empire Builder, with the train's logo on the back. I'd echo those who suggest taking snacks, especially fresh fruit and raw vegetables. Walk the train, enjoy the lounge car, get at least the occasional meal in the diner. If you try the broasted chicken dinner they take on in Havre, let us know how it is. Get out at the longer stops (Minot, Havre, sometimes Shelby) and stretch your legs and admire the big, beautiful train. Try to upgrade to a sleeper if you have a chance and can spare the money.

Talk to your neighbors -- they often are the most memorable part of any train trip.

One thing, it's a long way to Portland, and even longer to San Francisco. Don't look at your watch or calculate how the train is keeping time. It won't make the train any faster, and time won't pass any faster. This is the time for big, trashy novels, that knitting project, long pieces of music on your Ipod, whatever.

Most of all, enjoy all of the great country you'll be traveling through.

Damn, now I want to take the Empire Builder again.

One thing you need not worry about is the engineers on Amtrak trains in general, and the Empire Builder in particular. They are all old, terribly experienced, and know their routes like the backs of their hands, every signal, every grade crossing, every switch. You'll be on BNSF's mainline, which is maintained to very high standards, if only because of the vast number of fast container trains that go on it. You're vastly safer on the train than you are driving U.S. 2, and the seats are more comfortable than those in any automobile. When was the last time someone got hurt on the Empire Builder? 1945?
I fell down the stairs of the Vista Dome on the Empire Builder in 1965 and got a bump on the head. Does that count? :p The Empire Builder is indeed run by seasoned veterans, not young kids, and is a very safe train. Sit back, relax, and enjoy! And make plans for your next train trip

....One thing you need not worry about is the engineers on Amtrak trains in general, and the Empire Builder in particular. They are all old, terribly experienced, and know their routes like the backs of their hands, every signal, every grade crossing, every switch.
LOL! I know a couple of Amtrak engineer-types who might take issue with being called "old"!

Why do I have this vision of a crew change with the new engineer heading to the locomotive using a walker. That's my best laugh of the day.

You're right. Amtrak engineers are pretty good and have a good safety record. However, some of them are less than 65 years old. :lol:

The key thing here, Heather, is RELAX. The train is a forced relaxation you should take advantage of.

....One thing you need not worry about is the engineers on Amtrak trains in general, and the Empire Builder in particular. They are all old, terribly experienced, and know their routes like the backs of their hands, every signal, every grade crossing, every switch.
LOL! I know a couple of Amtrak engineer-types who might take issue with being called "old"!

Why do I have this vision of a crew change with the new engineer heading to the locomotive using a walker. That's my best laugh of the day.

You're right. Amtrak engineers are pretty good and have a good safety record. However, some of them are less than 65 years old. :lol:
You're right on, and I think that if the engineer was described as "older" or better yet "more experienced," it would have been more appropriate. But then again, it wouldn't have been as humorous... would it? :D

The key thing here, Heather, is RELAX. The train is a forced relaxation you should take advantage of.
Forced relaxation? I don't think that anyone has ever been forced to relax on an Amtrak train trip... except for maybe Traveler! :huh: ..... :lol:
Most people get forced relaxation through an IV line and wake up in the recovery room. Now that's relaxing! :lol: again!

This board is quite amusing tonight: or maybe it's that chardonnay I had earlier.

Forced relaxation? I don't think that anyone has ever been forced to relax on an Amtrak train trip... except for maybe Traveler! :huh: ..... :lol:
Most people get forced relaxation through an IV line and wake up in the recovery room. Now that's relaxing! :lol: again!

This board is quite amusing tonight: or maybe it's that chardonnay I had earlier.
I don't think I want that kind of forced relaxation! The Chardonnay souunds like a better idea. (in moderation, of course)

I"m packing all those items as suggested. What is the best item to pack overnight essentials in? We are taking too large suitcases and I'm thinking I should check them and just carry an overnight type bag, with the required water, snacks, books, and IPOD with headphones. I also have a scanner, which I'm hesitant to bring over the border.. they can be funny about those things at the old border crossing.
As for bathrooms... I see that showers are not available.. is there room in the washrooms to freshen up a bit.

Thankyou everyone

Heather
I can see why you'd be nervous after a rail adventure in Alaska. It's almost as bad as a sea adventure to Alaska, which is why I won't cruise anymore.

For overnight essentials I use a big bookbag like the college kids use. In fact, I bought it at the local college. It fits everything I need, including a blanket.

I don't think I want that kind of forced relaxation! The Chardonnay souunds like a better idea. (in moderation, of course)
HEY - I resemble that remark! :p

That's the reason I go in for operations - to get the "Happy Juice"! :D I wondered how I got 3 noses! :eek: (But I find Vodka works too! :lol: )

Amtrak engineers are pretty good and have a good safety record. However, some of them are less than 65 years old. :lol:
You're right on, and I think that if the engineer was described as "older" or better yet "more experienced," it would have been more appropriate. But then again, it wouldn't have been as humorous... would it? :D
To me, 49 is old! :D

Heather,

I always take a smaller bag (kinda like a gym bag but a tad smaller) with the "essentials". Such as earplugs, some bottles of water, good downers (Tylenol PM) etc. I keep that near me all night long. I always take Tylenol PM. The first night is hard for me to sleep because of excitement (not nervousness) and the second night just to get another decent nights sleep.

If you end up in a car with noisy people, screaming children, etc., scout the train, find a quieter spot, take your destination stubs (above your seats), and relocate. If the train is not completely full, chances are, no one would mind. If you want to play it safe, ask the conductor before doing this (not the coach attendant, a lot of them tend to be kinda grumpy). Lower level coach may be your best bet for peace and quiet. Even if you don't have a lower level coach ticket, if you ask the conductor nicely and lower level coach is not too full, he will let you relocate. I've been on a couple of trains where I was the only person in lower level coach! Great for sleeping or getting work done.

I'm probably going to get some flak for posting this, but I have a 100% success rate for sneaking into showers in the sleepers as a coach passenger. The dining car staff, who act as guardians of the sleeper section, don't remember every single sleeper passenger, of course, especially those that just got on. The trick is to confidently and purposefully walk through the dining car, don't make eye contact, and walk directly into the sleeper car. Once there, you may run into the sleeper car attendant, if you're really unlucky, but again, chances are he won't stop you. Worse case scenario, you may have to tip him $10 for the privilege of using the shower.

I don't feel too bad about doing this, because the showers in the sleepers tend to go unused anyway.

I'm probably going to get some flak for posting this, but I have a 100% success rate for sneaking into showers in the sleepers as a coach passenger. The dining car staff, who act as guardians of the sleeper section, don't remember every single sleeper passenger, of course, especially those that just got on. The trick is to confidently and purposefully walk through the dining car, don't make eye contact, and walk directly into the sleeper car. Once there, you may run into the sleeper car attendant, if you're really unlucky, but again, chances are he won't stop you. Worse case scenario, you may have to tip him $10 for the privilege of using the shower.
I don't feel too bad about doing this, because the showers in the sleepers tend to go unused anyway.
:rolleyes: A good answer for newbies(like me!) that plam long trips with passes and incoach!!thanks for the tips!Awesome!

If you end up in a car with noisy people, screaming children, etc., scout the train, find a quieter spot, take your destination stubs (above your seats), and relocate. If the train is not completely full, chances are, no one would mind. If you want to play it safe, ask the conductor before doing this (not the coach attendant, a lot of them tend to be kinda grumpy).
ALWAYS ask the car attendant (NOT the conductor) before switching seats and especially cars! In the case of the EB, you may switch seats and cars in MT, go to sleep and wake up the next morning to find your going to Seattle not to Portland! :eek: Or on the SL, you may board in say El Paso, move to a different car and wake the next morning going to Houston instead of Chicago! :eek: (Only 1 coach gets switched in San Antonio to go to Chicago!) The car attendant may also have blocked off that seat for someone getting on down the line.

Also the car attendant stays with the car until the end of the run. The conductor will change every 5-7 hours on average!

I assume you also leave without paying the check in restaurants, and jump the turnstile on transit. Because those are the same crime as a coach passenger using the sleeper shower: Theft of services.

I hope you get caught and put off the train the next time you try this.

:rolleyes: A good answer for newbies(like me!) that plam long trips with passes and incoach!!thanks for the tips!Awesome!
NOT a good answer! :angry: It's bad advice to give to newbies!

Could it work - yes. But I would also feel bad if I BRIBED (and that $10 tip is a bribe since you are not a sleeping car passenger) the attendant and (s)he lost their job because they let a coach passenger use the shower that their ticket does not entitle them to use! I just hope the loss of their job is worth $10!

NOT a good answer! :angry: It's bad advice to give to newbies!

Could it work - yes. But I would also feel bad if I BRIBED (and that $10 tip is a bribe since you are not a sleeping car passenger) the attendant and (s)he lost their job because they let a coach passenger use the shower that their ticket does not entitle them to use! I just hope the loss of their job is worth $10!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cool: upon further thought,you are correct sir!its not cool to cause someoneto lose their job, especially in these perilous bush caused times!Will not try this in my travels!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back