nervous

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest problem with keys, beyond the expense, is that people forget them when they leave their rooms, loose them, and forget to turn them in when they leave.

My thoughts exactly, CatBlue. (By the way, your cat is beautiful!) My granddaughter encouraged me to buy the "As seen on TV Buxton over-the-shoulder Organizer" for our trip next month. She rattled off the entire commercial for me and I was sold. Who can resist a beautiful little 7 year old read-headed girl? I'll keep everything of value right with me. And besides, I'll never miss another call!

My thoughts exactly, CatBlue. (By the way, your cat is beautiful!) My granddaughter encouraged me to buy the "As seen on TV Buxton over-the-shoulder Organizer" for our trip next month. She rattled off the entire commercial for me and I was sold. Who can resist a beautiful little 7 year old read-headed girl? I'll keep everything of value right with me. And besides, I'll never miss another call!
Thank you but sadly she crossed "The Rainbow Bridge" last summer at age 17. OK looks like locks won't work so what is the answer? I agree that leaving anything of value at home and traveling light and small seem to be the best option at this time for me too.

OK looks like locks won't work so what is the answer? I agree that leaving anything of value at home and traveling light and small seem to be the best option at this time for me too.
I bring plenty of things of value with me, including my laptop. The key is to not leave things out in plain site when you're not in your room and to close the door and curtain. Granted this only works if one is in a sleeper, coach is a horse of a different color.

Thank you but sadly she crossed "The Rainbow Bridge" last summer at age 17.
Looks exactly like our cat Turbo. I think he's about 13 now.
Cats live long lives now days with good care. The cat I had before this one lived to be 19.
We thought we were going to lose Turbo to kitty diabetes last year, but a change of diet made him a healthy cat again.

-sorry everyone for the thread hijack-

The biggest problem with keys, beyond the expense, is that people forget them when they leave their rooms, loose them, and forget to turn them in when they leave.
An easy solution to the issue of coach pax poaching in sleeper areas might be a posted sign along with periodic announcements as they do with smoking: "Coach passengers using sleeper facilties will be removed from the train." End of discussion of keys and locks, etc..

OK looks like locks won't work so what is the answer? I agree that leaving anything of value at home and traveling light and small seem to be the best option at this time for me too.
I bring plenty of things of value with me, including my laptop. The key is to not leave things out in plain site when you're not in your room and to close the door and curtain. Granted this only works if one is in a sleeper, coach is a horse of a different color.
when i take the train in oct im bringing 2 laptop cable locks with me. one will be used in the hotel (6ft) the other will be used to lock the laptop to the tray table or the wire net mesh on the back of the seat so they can't wander off with it so easily. when i leave to either go to the lounge or diner i will lock it in my luggage and lock the luggage to the luggage rack net.

An easy solution to the issue of coach pax poaching in sleeper areas might be a posted sign along with periodic announcements as they do with smoking: "Coach passengers using sleeper facilties will be removed from the train." End of discussion of keys and locks, etc..
Sadly there are many who don't pay attention to announcements or bother to read signs. As evidenced by those who sit in the quiet car and talk away, and those who get put off the train for smoking in the rest room.

Sadly there are many who don't pay attention to announcements or bother to read signs. As evidenced by those who sit in the quiet car and talk away, and those who get put off the train for smoking in the rest room.
I agree. More announcements usually isn't the answer to solving any on-board problems. Too many announcements tends to annoy some passengers and others simple tune them out. I know I for one don't like being constantly quoted the rules no matter where I'm at.

I've made several trips in an accessable room, with is just feet away from the shower, and I personally don't see intrusions from coach a problem simply because I have never seen a line waiting for the shower; this is not to say it doesn't happen. So presuming that the problem doesn't occur as often as we may think it does, developing a key system seems IMHO an unnecessary expense and more trouble than it's worth.

However, if on the other hand if it is more of a problem than I preceve, perhaps there is a simpler way of dealing with it than has yet been discussed here. For instance, install a shock proof numeric keypad in the dressing portion of the shower where a 3 digit code needs to be entered to activate the shower for say a 10 minute period. If more time is needed the code could be entered again. The SA could provide the code to the passengers of the sleeper and the code can be changed by the SA after every run or two or whenever. This would leave any sneeky pete :unsure: who tried to use the shower high and dry!

In the mean time during my trip that starts next week, I'll yell at anyone who goes to use the shower... "HEY... IF YOU'RE NOT FROM THIS SLEEP, GET THE H*** OUT OF HERE!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've made several trips in an accessable room, with is just feet away from the shower, and I personally don't see intrusions from coach a problem simply because I have never seen a line waiting for the shower; this is not to say it doesn't happen. So presuming that the problem doesn't occur as often as we may think it does, developing a key system seems IMHO an unnecessary expense and more trouble than it's worth.
However, if on the other hand if it is more of a problem than I preceve, perhaps there is a simpler way of dealing with it than has yet been discussed here. For instance, install a shock proof numeric keypad in the dressing portion of the shower where a 3 digit code needs to be entered to activate the shower for say a 10 minute period. If more time is needed the code could be entered again. The SA could provide the code to the passengers of the sleeper and the code can be changed by the SA after every run or two or whenever. This would leave any sneeky pete :unsure: who tried to use the shower high and dry!

In the mean time during my trip that starts next week, I'll yell at anyone who goes to use the shower... "HEY... IF YOU'RE NOT FROM THIS SLEEP, GET THE H*** OUT OF HERE!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think keys would be better, because you would not have to depend on electricity to operate it. Also should be much cheaper! Or maybe a shower monitor........NOT! We would not even have this discussion if someone mentioned that they attempt and sometimes have succeeded sneaking into an area where they don't belong. I would think there are more out there that do it too, just unwilling to admit it. :rolleyes:

Maybe there's a career in it for you! :D Now if I hear yelling eminating from just outside the accesible room on the CS, I'll know you're onboard!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

quote-sorry everyone for the thread hijack-unquote

Are not most threads hijacked sooner or later?? ;) We see something on a post it makes us think of something unrelated to the original post but possible related to some part of a post and we run with it. :cool:

Guilty as charged!

quote-sorry everyone for the thread hijack-unquoteAre not most threads hijacked sooner or later?? ;) We see something on a post it makes us think of something unrelated to the original post but possible related to some part of a post and we run with it. :cool:

Guilty as charged!
I may fit in that remark....... :lol:

However, I think we're still talking about trains!!!

Almost jumped in w/ the cat stuff though........ :D :D meow!

I think keys would be better, because you would not have to depend on electricity to operate it. Also should be much cheaper! Or maybe a shower monitor........NOT! We would not even have this discussion if someone mentioned that they attempt and sometimes have succeeded sneaking into an area where they don't belong. I would think there are more out there that do it too, just unwilling to admit it. :rolleyes: Maybe there's a career in it for you! :D Now if I hear yelling eminating from just outside the accesible room on the CS, I'll know you're onboard!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
You are correct that one would need electricity to operate such a number touch pad to enter the code. However, consider the fact that if there is no electricity, you won't be taking a shower anyhow. If there is no power, then there is no water since the pump to move the water won't be working. There would also be no hot water either, without power.

So no one would be taking a shower regardless of whether they know the code or not.

AlanB

You're right about the hot water but the water system on a Superliner is air powered, thus you can take a cold shower in a completely dark windowless room and change your clothes there. Sure sounds like fun to me!

By the way I'm also AlanB :lol: :lol: :lol:

AlanB II

AlanBYou're right about the hot water but the water system on a Superliner is air powered, thus you can take a cold shower in a completely dark windowless room and change your clothes there. Sure sounds like fun to me!

AlanB II
I would think there would be an emergency light in the shower room (and all restrooms) that ran off the batteries. I would hate to be in there with no lights.

AlanBYou're right about the hot water but the water system on a Superliner is air powered, thus you can take a cold shower in a completely dark windowless room and change your clothes there. Sure sounds like fun to me!

AlanB II
I would think there would be an emergency light in the shower room (and all restrooms) that ran off the batteries. I would hate to be in there with no lights.
Now, there are some people that might enjoy a cold, dark shower!!! But not me! :lol: :lol: Espescially the cold part. Light candles for the dark part. :) :) Or use flashlight.

AlanB II
Now, there are some people that might enjoy a cold, dark shower!!! But not me! :lol: :lol: Espescially the cold part. Light candles for the dark part. :) :) Or use flashlight.
Dark showers I don't mind. And I've been told many times to "Go take a cold shower!" :eek: :lol:

AlanB II
Dark showers I don't mind. And I've been told many times to "Go take a cold shower!" :eek: :lol:

Well then again if the ac isn't working & it's hot on the train, then a cold shower would feel good.. Does Amtrak use 'tankless' hot water heaters?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well then again if the ac isn't working & it's hot on the train, then a cold shower would feel good.. Does Amtrak use 'tankless' hot water heaters?
I don't know for sure, but I highly doubt it. Electric tankless hot water heaters aren't very common, though I've seen them. Since they take a second to get going, also, I don't think they'd be suited best for a train where there's a limited supply of water. But I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back