Getting just a bit nervous about Isaac

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you talking about??? Hurricane is NOT going to Tampa, it's going to New Orleans. The weather here is perfect, all highways are open, Tampa airport is fully operating.

Amtrak is the only who suspended service, even buses!!! And they suspended service even 2 days before hypothetical impact, leaving people stranded without any transportation, even without phone call notifications!!!
The RNC and Florida's Governor took the threat seriously. They acted on information that was available to them at the time when it looked like Isaac would head further east.
Colobok: How long have you been in Florida? Those of us that have long time Florida connections know that hurricanes can change course in unpredicable manners. Tampa may have been given a miss, but things could have turned out quite different. Suggest you search National Westher Service Radar Tampa FL and see what you find. Looks like you won't stay dry.

I continue to check the websites for updates...here is the latest!

Amtrak Silver Service and Sunset Limited Routes Impacted by Approaching Tropical Storm Isaac

August 26, 2012

7:30 pm ET

Amtrak has taken the pro-active measure in suspending portions of its Silver Service, the Sunset Limited and Crescent lines in advance of approaching tropical storm (Isaac).

The host railroads in the impacted regions, and Amtrak, have coordinated these adjustments in the interest of passenger/employee safety, as this storm has the potential to produce damaging winds and torrential rains and flooding conditions along its path.

Amtrak train operations will be impacted as follows:

South Florida (Silver Service)

Sunday August 26:

Trains 91 (25) and 97 (25) were terminated in Orlando Sunday with no alternate transportation south of Orlando.

Trains 98 (26) and 92 (26) were cancelled south of Orlando with no alternate transportation. Due to tight turn time we project Train 98(26) to depart Orlando approximately two hours late.

Connecting buses: 6291(26) and 6292 (26) between Jacksonville and Lakeland are cancelled. 6091(26)-6092(26) between Tampa and Ft. Myers are cancelled. 6097(26)-6098(26) between Orlando and Ft. Myers are cancelled.

Auto-Train operations are not affected and are operating normally.

Monday August 27:

Trains 91 (26) and 97 (26) will be terminated in Orlando with no alternate transportation south of Orlando.

Trains 98 (27) and 92 (27) are cancelled south of Orlando with no alternate transportation. Due to tight turn time we project Train 98 (27) will depart Orlando approximately two hours late.

Connecting buses: 6291(27) and 6292(27) between Jacksonville and Lakeland are cancelled. 6091(27)-6092(27) between Tampa and Ft. Myers are cancelled. 6097(27)-6098(27) between Orlando and Ft. Myers are cancelled.

Tuesday August 28:

Trains 91(27) and 97(27) will be terminated in Orlando Sunday with no alternate transportation south of Orlando.

New Orleans Area:

Tuesday August 28:

Train 19 (Crescent) (27) will be terminated in Atlanta Tuesday with no alternate transportation south of Atlanta.

Train 20 (Crescent)(28) is cancelled south of Atlanta with no alternate transportation.

Train 2 (Sunset Limited) (26) will be terminated in San Antonio Tuesday with no alternate transportation east of San Antonio.

Wednesday August 29:

Train 19 (Crescent) (28) will be terminated in Atlanta Tuesday with no alternate transportation south of Atlanta.

Train 20 (Crescent) (29) is cancelled south of Atlanta with no alternate transportation.

Train 1 (Sunset Limited) (28) (Scheduled to have departed New Orleans on 8/29) is cancelled east of San Antonio with no alternate transportation.

Additional announcements will be made based on the projected path of the storm.

Passengers who have paid but choose not to travel due to this service disruption can receive a refund or a voucher for future travel. Some reservations booked online can be modified or canceled on Amtrak.com or by using the free Amtrak mobile app.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com/alerts for Service Alerts and Passenger Notices. Schedule information and train status updates are available at the Amtrak.com home page.

<BR class=clear_both>

What are you talking about??? Hurricane is NOT going to Tampa, it's going to New Orleans. The weather here is perfect, all highways are open, Tampa airport is fully operating.

Amtrak is the only who suspended service, even buses!!! And they suspended service even 2 days before hypothetical impact, leaving people stranded without any transportation, even without phone call notifications!!!
The RNC and Florida's Governor took the threat seriously. They acted on information that was available to them at the time when it looked like Isaac would head further east.
Colobok: How long have you been in Florida? Those of us that have long time Florida connections know that hurricanes can change course in unpredicable manners. Tampa may have been given a miss, but things could have turned out quite different. Suggest you search National Westher Service Radar Tampa FL and see what you find. Looks like you won't stay dry.
Are you kidding? Have you looked at my info? I live in Tampa. I have seen several hurricanes here.

Regardless of how Isaac goes this time there is no ANY logic in cancelling trains 2 days BEFORE the storm.

And there is no any logic in not providing buses on Saturday and Sunday when the weather was excellent.

Airport is working, Greyhound is running, but Amtrak buses are not! There is no any excuse to that.

I just called the Auto Train dedicated 800 number. The agent informed me that the Monday train out of Sanford is a go! Looks like I lucked out with the weather. So it is off tomorrow to Sanford for my wife and myself.

Thanks to everyone who provided updates with the weather since the thread started. I hope the rest of you traveling Amtrak who might be impacted by Isaac have similar luck as me.

Regardless of how Isaac goes this time there is no ANY logic in cancelling trains 2 days BEFORE the storm. And there is no any logic in not providing buses on Saturday and Sunday when the weather was excellent. Airport is working, Greyhound is running, but Amtrak buses are not! There is no any excuse to that.
First, Amtrak did NOT choose to cancel the trains. They had no choice!

CSX decided out of an abundance of caution to shut down their RR. And that means that they take off all the gates, as they can become flying missals in a hurricane. This is something that takes a day or two to do; it's not a 2 hour job.

As for the buses, while the weather might have been fine today in Tampa, those buses go to Fort Meyers (something that I was just reminded of in a post above), where the weather wasn't fine today. In fact, even here in NYC, I saw a report on the news from Fort Meyers.

Sure, I suppose that Amtrak could have tried to get Martz to only run the Orlando - Tampa leg, but that only causes more confusion for people first off. And then we don't know what Martz may have said, if indeed Amtrak did ask for that.

Again, you're still armchair quarterbacking here. Just like I'm speculating a bit here too, as I really don't know what Amtrak did or didn't do. But one thing that I do know is that Amtrak never takes cancelling trains lightly!

Last edited by a moderator:
PS. While Greyhound is still running to Tampa to my knowledge, they did terminate services further south in Florida.

And that means that they take off all the gates, as they can become flying missals in a hurricane.
I was unaware that they were particularly religious...

Joking aside, I've been through a couple of hurricanes/ex-hurricanes in Virginia. The worst part has generally been the extended power outages, but I know I wouldn't drive in most storms. Likewise, I'm reminded of the trouble I had rounding up dinner one night when a Noreaster went particularly bad somewhat by surprise and the power went down throughout the area...driving in search of decent food that evening wasn't fun, and that was more of a bad thunderstorm that wouldn't stop than anything.

I just got a message from a friend in Orlando, and while he says things are okay there now, conditions on the FL west coast are worsening. The Gulf Coast from FL to New Orleans is now expected to get a Category 2+ storm. Even the FL east coast may get tornadoes. I wouldn't be surprised if all available buses have been commandeered to transport RNC attendees.

And that means that they take off all the gates, as they can become flying missals in a hurricane.
I was unaware that they were particularly religious...
That's what happens when it's late at night you've had a healthy dose of wine that you were sipping during two train chats, one of which I was still in at that time; and you don't pay attention to what the spell checker is doing for you. :lol:

Out of curiosity, where will they store the Crescent in Atlanta until it departs for NYP as #20 in the evening?
There's an old spur to an abandoned steel plant right next to the station. Depending on how fast someone looks going down the higways, they might not even realize it's anything more than a standard station stop! The station (main) tracks and the spur track spread apart and the train would be on the overpass in between the station overpass and the I-85 overpass, but the rear car is usually not on the bridge itself.

I just called the Auto Train dedicated 800 number. The agent informed me that the Monday train out of Sanford is a go! Looks like I lucked out with the weather. So it is off tomorrow to Sanford for my wife and myself.

Thanks to everyone who provided updates with the weather since the thread started. I hope the rest of you traveling Amtrak who might be impacted by Isaac have similar luck as me.
Please be careful driving, especially on I4. It is raining in Orlando and already there are traffic backups due to accidents.

...But one thing that I do know is that Amtrak never takes cancelling trains lightly!
I'm not sure I agree with that statement. Remember when a landslide in southern Oregon resulted in Amtrak canceling the Coast Starlight end-to-end between LAX and SEA? The only through rail service between Los Angeles and the Bay Area was cancelled because of an issue in Oregon. Seriously?

It took several weeks and repeated application of pressure to get Amtrak to relent and first establish a stub train LAX-SAC, and finally (after more pressure) establish two stub trains with a bus bridge. That initial end-to-end cancellation decision sure seemed to be taken "lightly".

will the cono terminate in Hammond, LA?
Yeah, we're forgetting the CONO. If the SL can't make it across LA, then I sure don't expect the CONO to make it south of Jackson. I haven't read any advisories on that yet. Even though it would still be out of harm's way enough to go to Jackson, it would make more sense to terminate the train at Memphis because that is a bigger (presumably water and refueling) stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of how Isaac goes this time there is no ANY logic in cancelling trains 2 days BEFORE the storm. And there is no any logic in not providing buses on Saturday and Sunday when the weather was excellent. Airport is working, Greyhound is running, but Amtrak buses are not! There is no any excuse to that.

CSX decided out of an abundance of caution to shut down their RR. And that means that they take off all the gates, as they can become flying missals in a hurricane. This is something that takes a day or two to do; it's not a 2 hour job.
I have not seen any report about CSX shutting down their RR. Even Amtrak's alert doesn't have any reference to CSX. They only say that Amtrak is cancelling trains as a "pre-caution".

As for the buses, while the weather might have been fine today in Tampa, those buses go to Fort Meyers (something that I was just reminded of in a post above), where the weather wasn't fine today. In fact, even here in NYC, I saw a report on the news from Fort Meyers.

Sure, I suppose that Amtrak could have tried to get Martz to only run the Orlando - Tampa leg, but that only causes more confusion for people first off.
Do you really think that it's better to leave people without service than to make them "confused"?

What do you think people from Tampa or Sarasota feel when they come to the station just to find out that their bus is cancelled, but they see that the weather is fine?

Another sign that Amtrak doesn't care is that the bus for TOMORROW is still cancelled!!! It is obvious by now that hurricane moved away from Florida, we have only light rain and even some sunshine sometimes. So tomorrow will be a perfect day. Why the bus for tomorrow is still cancelled??? How would you explain that to people who have tickets for tomorrow?

Do you really think that it's better to leave people without service than to make them "confused"?What do you think people from Tampa or Sarasota feel when they come to the station just to find out that their bus is cancelled, but they see that the weather is fine?

Another sign that Amtrak doesn't care is that the bus for TOMORROW is still cancelled!!! It is obvious by now that hurricane moved away from Florida, we have only light rain and even some sunshine sometimes. So tomorrow will be a perfect day. Why the bus for tomorrow is still cancelled??? How would you explain that to people who have tickets for tomorrow?
i think by now all that come here are aware that you are unhappy with the way things are being handled. ENOUGH!

Updated status of service to and from New Orleans:

Amtrak Service Suspended in New Orleans due to incoming Hurricane Isaac 

Sunset Limited, Crescent and City of New Orleans trains

August 27, 2012

11:30 a.m. CT

All Amtrak service to and from New Orleans is suspended on Tuesday, August 28, and Wednesday, August 29, due to the forecasted hurricane landfall of Tropical Storm Isaac. No alternate transportation is available to and from New Orleans and the three cities where Amtrak service will temporarily originate and terminate.

Sunset Limited, Trains 1 & 2

This three-days-weekly service from Los Angeles and Tuscson will terminate and originate in San Antonio, with no Amtrak train service until further notice in Houston and Beaumont, Texas, or in Louisiana. Amtrak Thruway Bus Connections through Houston to and from Longview and Galveston are continuing to operate.

Crescent, Trains 19 & 20

This daily service from New York and Washington will terminate and originate in Atlanta, rather than New Orleans, with no service until further notice in Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana.

City of New Orleans, Trains 58 & 59

This daily service from Chicago will terminate and originate in Memphis, rather than New Orleans, with no service until further notice in Mississippi and Louisiana.

Egh, atleast Amtrak can use "Service Disruption due to Tropical Storm Isaac" for the Sunset Limited vs. still using Hurricane Katrina.

I have not seen any report about CSX shutting down their RR. Even Amtrak's alert doesn't have any reference to CSX. They only say that Amtrak is cancelling trains as a "pre-caution".
Did you even look?

http://www.csx.com/index.cfm/customers/news/service-bulletins/customer-service-bulletin-tropical-storm-isaac-saturday-update/

http://www.csx.com/index.cfm/customers/news/service-bulletins/customer-service-bulletin-customer-service-bulletin-tropical-storm-isaac-monday-noon-update/

This three-days-weekly service from Los Angeles and Tuscson ...
It's T-u-c-s-o-n. It's a mistake I can tolerate when anyone else makes it, but not in corporate communications. It really bothers me when large corporations who employ professionals to communicate with the public still find ways to misspell things. There's just no excuse for it in the days of spell checkers and electronic communications that let others review and correct your communication near-instantly.

"Gosh, I can never remember how to spell the name of that city. I know it's tricky, but I just can't remember if the 's' comes before the 'c' or after. I know! I'll just put one in both places, so I'm covered either way!"

Did you even look?

http://www.csx.com/index.cfm/customers/news/service-bulletins/customer-service-bulletin-tropical-storm-isaac-saturday-update/

http://www.csx.com/index.cfm/customers/news/service-bulletins/customer-service-bulletin-customer-service-bulletin-tropical-storm-isaac-monday-noon-update/
Thank you for links. They only confirm that the line between Tampa and Orlando has never been closed by CSX.

They only mentioned New Orlean and possibly Miami area.

They also stated that:

Initial inspections along the path of the storm by CSX crews indicate relatively minor impacts to the railroad’s South Florida operations.

Amtrak Silver Service Restored Between Orlando, Tampa and Miami

by Amtrak on Monday, August 27, 2012 at 4:40pm ·Scheduled operations to resume Tuesday, August 28, following tropical storm

August 27, 2012

4:30 p.m. ET

Amtrak Silver Service (Silver Meteor and Silver Star) and connecting bus service (Jacksonville – Lakeland, Tampa – Ft. Myers) will operate as scheduled on Tuesday, August 28. Service between Orlando and Miami was suspended Sunday due to Tropical Storm Isaac.

I know what you mean Aaron. I used to live in AZ and could never spell Tuscon - er, I meant Tucson!
wacko.gif
And one of our offices was in Tucson!

Jen G said:
1346101099[/url]' post='389921']Amtrak Silver Service Restored Between Orlando, Tampa and Miami

by Amtrak on Monday, August 27, 2012 at 4:40pm ·Scheduled operations to resume Tuesday, August 28, following tropical storm

August 27, 2012

4:30 p.m. ET

Amtrak Silver Service (Silver Meteor and Silver Star) and connecting bus service (Jacksonville – Lakeland, Tampa – Ft. Myers) will operate as scheduled on Tuesday, August 28. Service between Orlando and Miami was suspended Sunday due to Tropical Storm Isaac.
That should make Colobok happy!
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back