Getting just a bit nervous about Isaac

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jen G

Train Attendant
So, I'm getting a tad bit nervous about my trip next Saturday. NYP - HOL I know the hurricane is supposed to reach South Florida on Monday...I should be fine, right? Maybe. I am concerned with flooding and possible damage from the storm.

Anyone know how prone that route is to flooding? Will Amtrak update me on any service disruptions? Sigh. I'm sure it will be fine.

Jen G

I am guessing that everything should be fine by next Saturday, especially if Isaac does not hit Florida head on, but with hurricanes, one never knows. I have reservations to do a round trip from Orlando to Tampa on Wednesday and I am not sure if that will work. The last projection that I saw showed the storm speeding up a bit, but that could have by the next update.

I hope all goes well and you enjoy your stay in Florida.

If the current projected track envelope holds, you'll have no worries. Right now all indications are that Issac will affect the west coast of Florida far more than the east coast. And Amtrak mainly services the east coast and central Florida. If Tampa were to get hit hard, Amtrak would just avoid that stop.

Now, should the storm make a very unexpected turn to the north, we'll then things could be different. But right now, most models are predicting the storm to be in the Gulf and on the west coast of FL.

I have reservations to do a round trip from Orlando to Tampa on Wednesday and I am not sure if that will work. The last projection that I saw showed the storm speeding up a bit, but that could have by the next update.
Penny - Any word when Isaac will hit Orlando? I have a AT reservation this Monday out of Sanford and hope to get out before it is to late!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have reservations to do a round trip from Orlando to Tampa on Wednesday and I am not sure if that will work. The last projection that I saw showed the storm speeding up a bit, but that could have by the next update.
Penny - Any word when Isaac will hit Orlando? I have a AT reservation this Monday out of Sanford and hope to get out before it is to late!
I'm not Penny, but right now it's expected to be west of Tampa by Tuesday evening. If the current track doesn't shift east too much and/or it doesn't intensify beyond the current predictions by too much, then I'd say you have a very good chance of getting out of dodge on Monday afternoon on the AT.

But if the track shifts 50 miles or more east of what's expected, winds increase from the predicted 80MPH to 90MPH, or some combination of those two then you could be in trouble. Right now however I don't think that CSX will shut down their tracks based upon the current info.

I am Penny. :lol: According to a local news report, our worst weather will be Monday with 70% chance if rain. They still anticipate Isaac to travel in the Gulf west of Tampa. They will know more after the storm passes Cuba. If it hits hits land, it will likely decrease in strength. However, if it stays in the water and goes not make landfall in Cuba, it likely will increase in intensity. I think Central Florida will likely feel the effects regardless. It was announced that Orange County (Orlando) schools will close on Monday if winds are more than 35mph. As you know, Sanford is northeast of Orlando, and is in Seminole County.

Just heard another update - biggest impact in Orlando will be late Sunday and early Monday. I guess that can change again .

Right now, TS level winds extend a good ways away from the center of the storm:

at201209_cumwind.gif

Even if the storm tracks up the west coast of Florida, most of the state is going to see some pretty nasty weather (particularly if the storm intensifies as expected once he's clear of of Haiti/Cuba).

The real issue is what CSX decides to do. If they decide that there's enough chance that strong winds will reach their railroad, they'll go along and remove all the crossing gates. If/when that happens, the railroad is shut down.

The real issue is what CSX decides to do. If they decide that there's enough chance that strong winds will reach their railroad, they'll go along and remove all the crossing gates. If/when that happens, the railroad is shut down.
Which will result in cancellation of or stopping in JAX/SAV and bustitution for the Silvers early to mid-week. The OP was asking about next Saturday. Unless central and eastern FL get a direct hit, the Silvers and the AutoTrain should be back to normal by next Saturday. However, there could be some flooding in GA and the Carolinas depending on the path after the storm hits the coast.

Thanks for all of the responses since my initial post. I welcome any updates on Isaac especially from you Penny considering your close proximity to the Sanford terminal. It would be greatly appreciated.

It will be quite a drag driving to Harpers Ferry (HFY) if the AT is cancelled. I have to be up there shortly regardless of the mode of transportation. My house there finally sold and preparations for the closing is not far behind! I will certainly miss the place there and my frequent watching of the Capitol Limited out of HFY.

I would say anyone traveling the next week on the Silvers, Palmetto, AT, Crescent, CONO, and Sunset Limited should watch Isaac and be prepared for whatever may be thrown at them. The center is supposed to track in the central Gulf toward Panama City as of right now before moving through Alabama, but this could change, and as pointed out, tropical storm force winds and flooding rains can extend hundreds of miles out from the center. Right now, it appears that Georgia and Alabama are in the bullseye for the flooding threat. But remember, THIS COULD ALL CHANGE, nothing is set in stone at this point and all of the trains I mentioned could have speed limit runs all next week, or they could all be truncated somewhere.

It is raining right now in Orlando, but I have no idea if the rain is from an Isaac feeder band or it is just unrelated rain.

Many Central Floridians are changing their weekend plans because it is almost certain that Isaac will have some impact on Orlando. I saw on the news that Tampa and several Central Florida cities are handing out sand bags. I live 4 stories above ground so flooding from rain will not affect me. However, in a full hurricane with 80+ mph winds, I will get water intrusion from my windows.

Just got a Tweet from Amtrak NEC stating that Amtrak has had to disrupt Silver service between Miami & Orlando.

Nothing on points north of Orlando yet, but that does mean that Tampa is now cut off from service too.

Just going to keep an eye on it. I think I should be ok. I think my biggest issue would be long term flooding...not so much damage from the storm (i hope!)

Keeping my fingers crossed that it's not going to be a bad storm.

Anyway you look at it I can always change my plans. I hope that everyone in the storm's path remains safe and doesn't have too much of an aftermath to deal with!

Jen G

We will know about train 2 and 1 tomorrow when we report to work . I'm sure we going to except long delays coming in or out but I am watching weather channel all day and hoPe for best. I think 19 and 20 will more affected than 2 . I will keep you posted once we leave San Antoino

Just got a Tweet from Amtrak NEC stating that Amtrak has had to disrupt Silver service between Miami & Orlando.

Nothing on points north of Orlando yet, but that does mean that Tampa is now cut off from service too.

I guess that both the Star and the Meteor will be "spending the night" in Orlando. Cool. :cool:

BTW - it is sunny in Orlando now, with hardly any wind, but no doubt that will soon change. :lol:

Since both Silvers will at the ORL station, you could walk Penny from one train set to the other to do your point runs!
laugh.gif
Or maybe because they sta tionary, you have to RUN between each set for it to qualify as a "point run"!
mosking.gif

According to the local news:

Isaac likely to hit Florida Keys, then go to Gulf, heading further west. The southwest coast of Florida will endure category 1 hurricane, but might have storm surge. Landfall likely in Panhandle on Tuesday. There are tropical storm warnings in Orlando through Monday meaning winds likely to exceed 39 mph.

Schools closed in Southwest Florida on Monday.

I am sure someone with more computer talent than I have will post a tracking map.

So far things look ok for the AT.

Still sunny in Orlando right now.

Edit to mention that the news reported the Amtrak service disruption although they mentioned train 98, the graphics on the television stated 96.

I am supposed to be traveling from SPG to SLI On Tues/Wed on the 493/93/19 to pick up my children and then return with them on 9/1 and 9/2. I'm not sure if I should board on Tuesday up here in SPG and risk getting stranded in D.C. How far in advance do they announce service cancellation?

my wife and I have reservations to travel from atlanta to new orleans on Tuesday morning August 28 at 8 a.m. do you think Isaac will cancel this trip?

My only concern for the OP with the latest path, showing a T.D. in Alabama as late as Thu., is if it's remnants drift slowly and sock the mid-Atlantic into the weekend with flooding rain and severe thunderstorms. Then there could be delays and disruptions on the way down.

Clarify for OP not Q re train 19

What is the problem to provide bustitution from Tampa to Orlando?

How are people supposed to get from Tampa to Orlando with no alt. transportation?

And as far as I know parking in Orlando is very limited and not free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back