Getting just a bit nervous about Isaac

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a Tweet from Amtrak NEC stating that Amtrak has had to disrupt Silver service between Miami & Orlando.

Nothing on points north of Orlando yet, but that does mean that Tampa is now cut off from service too.
What is the problem to provide bustitution from Tampa to Orlando?

How are people supposed to get from Tampa to Orlando with no alt. transportation?

And as far as I know parking in Orlando is very limited and not free.
My guess is it might be a safety issue if winds are more than 40 MPH. School busses are grounded if winds are more than 35 MPH. Parking in the Orlando lot is free, but is extremely limited. There is metered street parking nearby.

Just got a Tweet from Amtrak NEC stating that Amtrak has had to disrupt Silver service between Miami & Orlando.

Nothing on points north of Orlando yet, but that does mean that Tampa is now cut off from service too.
Amtrak has posted a Service Alert about this disruption on their website:

----------------------

Saturday, August, 25 through Monday, August, 27, 2012:

Trains 91 (Silver Star/ New York to Miami) will terminate travel in Orlando with no alternate transportation

Train 97 (Silver Meteor New York to Miami)) will terminate travel in Orlando with no alternate transportation

----------------------

Comparing the wording of the Service Alert to the information on the Amtrak Status Maps has me confused. The status map details for 91 & 97 show both trains making their normal runs all the way down to MIA on 25Aug. These are the trains that originated at NYP on 24Aug. The map shows a service disruption for both 91 & 97 that were scheduled to originate at NYP on 25Aug.

So, I'm thinking that the Service Alert refers to trains leaving NYP 25Aug through 27Aug, not the trains traveling through Florida on those dates. This would mean that the Service Alert is for trains scheduled to travel south of ORL 26Aug through 28Aug. Make sense?

This concerns me personally because I have a reservation to ride SBG-MIA on 29Aug to catch a plane at the Miami airport that night. Looks like I'd better line up "alternate transportation" to get to the airport!

my wife and I have reservations to travel from atlanta to new orleans on Tuesday morning August 28 at 8 a.m. do you think Isaac will cancel this trip?
Looking at the model runs this morning, that is a distinct possibility. We'll see how the NHC adjusts the track, but NOL is definitly in play Tues/Wed. You may be able to get into town before the storm hits, but that might not be the best plan of action.

frugalist said:
1345977914[/url]' post='389616']This concerns me personally because I have a reservation to ride SBG-MIA on 29Aug to catch a plane at the Miami airport that night. Looks like I'd better line up "alternate transportation" to get to the airport!
My personal guess if that Amtrak is not oprerating, the Miami Airport may not be either. And remember that they are probably flying those planes out of harms way prior to Issac, and they have to fly them back in after Issac. And if they are coming from say ATL, WAS, etc..., they may be flying thru the remenants of Issac!
excl.gif

What is the problem to provide bustitution from Tampa to Orlando?

How are people supposed to get from Tampa to Orlando with no alt. transportation?

And as far as I know parking in Orlando is very limited and not free.
My guess is it might be a safety issue if winds are more than 40 MPH. School busses are grounded if winds are more than 35 MPH. Parking in the Orlando lot is free, but is extremely limited. There is metered street parking nearby.
It is a perfect weather right now in Tampa. What was the problem to run a bus today and yesterday??? Amtrak just doesn't care about customers.

Tampa airport is also fully operating.

frugalist said:
1345977914[/url]' post='389616']This concerns me personally because I have a reservation to ride SBG-MIA on 29Aug to catch a plane at the Miami airport that night. Looks like I'd better line up "alternate transportation" to get to the airport!
My personal guess if that Amtrak is not oprerating, the Miami Airport may not be either. And remember that they are probably flying those planes out of harms way prior to Issac, and they have to fly them back in after Issac. And if they are coming from say ATL, WAS, etc..., they may be flying thru the remenants of Issac!
excl.gif
Funny that you mention ATL because that's where I'm flying TO. Looks like ATL will be getting soaked Wednesday night/Thursday morning when my plane is scheduled to get in. Even though most flights may be operating out of MIA, flights into and out of ATL may be having problems then. My last resort option is to drive to Atlanta. I sure wish there was a direct train from Miami to Atlanta. But that's a whole nother thread. ;)

It is a perfect weather right now in Tampa. What was the problem to run a bus today and yesterday???
Maybe they didn't have enough connecting passengers to warrant a bus. Or maybe the bus companies wouldn't agree to run a bus; perhaps because local officials want the buses on standby for evacuations or to allow their employees to prepare for the hurricane. Heck, maybe they're even moving their buses out of harms way. There could easily be a dozen reasons as to why Amtrak couldn't get buses.

Amtrak just doesn't care about customers.
Nonsense!

We will know about train 2 and 1 tomorrow when we report to work . I'm sure we going to except long delays coming in or out but I am watching weather channel all day and hoPe for best. I think 19 and 20 will more affected than 2 . I will keep you posted once we leave San Antoino
Well, I was able to fly out of Tampa this morning & I'm writting this from my hotel room in El Paso, where I plan to catch the #1 Tuesday. Now, if I get lucky with my EB/CONO connection Saturday, I'll be a happy camper!!! :hi:

It is a perfect weather right now in Tampa. What was the problem to run a bus today and yesterday???
Maybe they didn't have enough connecting passengers to warrant a bus. Or maybe the bus companies wouldn't agree to run a bus; perhaps because local officials want the buses on standby for evacuations or to allow their employees to prepare for the hurricane. Heck, maybe they're even moving their buses out of harms way. There could easily be a dozen reasons as to why Amtrak couldn't get buses.
What you saying is nonsense. There are about 100 passenger from Tampa each day plus other stations. And why should Amtrak get a bus if they ALREADY have the dedicated bus which is supposed to run by schedule???

What is the point to cancel it on Sunday and even on Saturday when the weather is just perfect???

Nonsense!
If they cared about passengers they would run a connecting bus or at least they could offer $100 to rent a car. I was offered $100 for dinner of 4 when my train was late, but missing a train is much more important than missing a dinner!

What you saying is nonsense. There are about 100 passenger from Tampa each day plus other stations. And why should Amtrak get a bus if they ALREADY have the dedicated bus which is supposed to run by schedule???

What is the point to cancel it on Sunday and even on Saturday when the weather is just perfect???
Amtrak has 1 bus to connect with the Meteor. And it's a contracted bus, not one that Amtrak actually owns or controls.

The bulk of the passengers however that use Tampa, use the Star which actually goes to/from Tampa.

And remember, people know that there is a hurricane coming. We have no idea how many people have called up Amtrak and cancelled their trips at this point or cancelled when they were told that the train would not run to Tampa.

Finally, while I'm not in Florida, it sounds like from Penny's description of things that the weather isn't perfect. Unless maybe one is a duck and loves rain.

Nonsense!
If they cared about passengers they would run a connecting bus or at least they could offer $100 to rent a car. I was offered $100 for dinner of 4 when my train was late, but missing a train is much more important than missing a dinner!
You're being an arm chair quarterback, as am I. We have no idea what's going on down there and what Amtrak is being told by the bus companies or for that matter what the bus companies are being told by the authorities and the weather services. You're blaming Amtrak without having a single clue whether or not Amtrak even called up the bus company to ask for buses and got told NO. I of course cannot guarantee that Amtrak did try to call them.

We have NO evidence one way or the other as to why there is no alternative service. It's all assumption, which is why I called it nonsense.

I popped into the Orlando station this morning with the hopes of seeing 2 trains sitting there. I guess they did not spend the night last night since there were no Amtrak trains there around 10am this morning. 91 was due to arrive shortly. There were very few people in the station (even though there were almost no vacant parking spots). There were signs on the door describing the service disprutions. The ticket agent explained to me that the disruption has caused some confusion, but, safety was the primiary issue. He did not know when normal service will be resumed.

Immediately after I left the station, it started pouring. By the time I reached my next destination (about 15 minutes away), it stopped raining. Currently it is not raining, but it is not sunny either. I am looking out the window watching dark clouds move rapidly through the sky.

Nonsense!
Those buses are, I believe, based out of Fort Myers & scheduled to make stops in Port Charlote, Sarasota,Bradenton, which are getting hammered!

I popped into the Orlando station this morning with the hopes of seeing 2 trains sitting there. I guess they did not spend the night last night since there were no Amtrak trains there around 10am this morning. 91 was due to arrive shortly. There were very few people in the station (even though there were almost no vacant parking spots). There were signs on the door describing the service disprutions. The ticket agent explained to me that the disruption has caused some confusion, but, safety was the primiary issue. He did not know when normal service will be resumed.
No, Amtrak would not keep the trains there. Just like they used to do with the Sunset years ago, they would dead head the train down to the wye in Lakeland, turn the train and run it up to Sanford. The trains can be far more easily serviced in Sanford, both mechanically and in terms of cleaning and restocking supplies & food items.

It's also a bit further away from the hurricane too.

Then as needed, they'll reverse the process, running down to the wye in Lakeland, turning and pulling back to Orlando to originate the train from there.

No, Amtrak would not keep the trains there. Just like they used to do with the Sunset years ago, they would dead head the train down to the wye in Lakeland, turn the train and run it up to Sanford. The trains can be far more easily serviced in Sanford, both mechanically and in terms of cleaning and restocking supplies & food items.

It's also a bit further away from the hurricane too.

Then as needed, they'll reverse the process, running down to the wye in Lakeland, turning and pulling back to Orlando to originate the train from there.
Thanks Alan for the info. I was wondering how they would be serviced in Orlando.

BTW - it is raining again in Orlando.

What is the point to cancel it on Sunday and even on Saturday when the weather is perfect?
I grew up in northern New York State. Once they cancelled school the night before due to a HEAVY ice storm that was predicted the following morning. So I slept in late, as most kids like to do. When I woke up about 9 AM, it was over 70 degrees!
laugh.gif

However, later that morning, the temperature dropped to the 20s or teens, and we did have a HEAVY ice storm! So I'm glad the buses did not run and the schools were closed that day - even though it was "a perfect day" in winter in the morning!
ohmy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak has 1 bus to connect with the Meteor. And it's a contracted bus, not one that Amtrak actually owns or controls.

The bulk of the passengers however that use Tampa, use the Star which actually goes to/from Tampa.

And remember, people know that there is a hurricane coming. We have no idea how many people have called up Amtrak and cancelled their trips at this point or cancelled when they were told that the train would not run to Tampa.

Finally, while I'm not in Florida, it sounds like from Penny's description of things that the weather isn't perfect. Unless maybe one is a duck and loves rain.
I know that and that bus was not even running on Saturday when Issac was somewhere near Haiti. Why???

You're being an arm chair quarterback, as am I. We have no idea what's going on down there and what Amtrak is being told by the bus companies or for that matter what the bus companies are being told by the authorities and the weather services. You're blaming Amtrak without having a single clue whether or not Amtrak even called up the bus company to ask for buses and got told NO. I of course cannot guarantee that Amtrak did try to call them.

We have NO evidence one way or the other as to why there is no alternative service. It's all assumption, which is why I called it nonsense.
My friend has a trip scheduled from Tampa. Amtrak didn't even call him!

So I was the only source of this info for him. He was going to take a trip from Tampa, Isaac is going away and the weather is fine.

Not providing a bus is a huge mistake!

Maybe they won't give you anything toward car rental because they do care about passengers. Maybe the car rental agencies in the area will not rent anthing to anybody going to Tampa. Maybe everything with wheels under it is on its way to a safer location.

Have you ever been though a hurricane? If you have it might change your perspective on the situation.

I have relatives in Pensacola and they are looking at the situation and thinking about what to do tomorrow to prepare for Tuesday. It can be very serious. To quote a person we know who lived on Pensacola beach after going through Camille: I still have my house, but most of it is on my neighbor's lot.

This is not a movie or a Disneyland thrill. These things kill people.

Maybe they won't give you anything toward car rental because they do care about passengers. Maybe the car rental agencies in the area will not rent anthing to anybody going to Tampa. Maybe everything with wheels under it is on its way to a safer location.

Have you ever been though a hurricane? If you have it might change your perspective on the situation.

I have relatives in Pensacola and they are looking at the situation and thinking about what to do tomorrow to prepare for Tuesday. It can be very serious. To quote a person we know who lived on Pensacola beach after going through Camille: I still have my house, but most of it is on my neighbor's lot.

This is not a movie or a Disneyland thrill. These things kill people.
What are you talking about??? Hurricane is NOT going to Tampa, it's going to New Orleans. The weather here is perfect, all highways are open, Tampa airport is fully operating.

Amtrak is the only who suspended service, even buses!!! And they suspended service even 2 days before hypothetical impact, leaving people stranded without any transportation, even without phone call notifications!!!

What are you talking about??? Hurricane is NOT going to Tampa, it's going to New Orleans. The weather here is perfect, all highways are open, Tampa airport is fully operating.

Amtrak is the only who suspended service, even buses!!! And they suspended service even 2 days before hypothetical impact, leaving people stranded without any transportation, even without phone call notifications!!!
The RNC and Florida's Governor took the threat seriously. They acted on information that was available to them at the time when it looked like Isaac would head further east.

Isaac is set to give Tampa a good lashing even if it's heading the other way. Don't forget, hurricanes and tropical storms are huge and can cause dangerous weather hundreds of miles from their center. Atlanta at one time was expecting 40+mph winds and as much as 2 FEET, 24 inches, of rain. That could cause widespread power outages, lots of blocked roads and railroads from downed trees and poles, and washing out of roadbeds. Atlanta looks to be safer than some earlier forecasts, but we could still get a good lashing just like Tampa could.

colobok said:
1346019181[/url]' post='389721']What are you talking about??? Hurricane is NOT going to Tampa, it's going to New Orleans. The weather here is perfect, all highways are open, Tampa airport is fully operating.

I forget the name of the storm, but a few years ago wasn't there a hurricane going up the coast, so nobody prepared. Then at the last minute, it took a right turn and made a direct full force hit into IIRC Port Charlotte - where no one prepared since it was way out in the Gulf headed north!
ohmy.gif

colobok said:
1346019181[/url]' post='389721']What are you talking about??? Hurricane is NOT going to Tampa, it's going to New Orleans. The weather here is perfect, all highways are open, Tampa airport is fully operating.

I forget the name of the storm, but a few years ago wasn't there a hurricane going up the coast, so nobody prepared. Then at the last minute, it took a right turn and made a direct full force hit into IIRC Port Charlotte - where no one prepared since it was way out in the Gulf headed north!
ohmy.gif
That might have been Charley that was supposed to hit Tampa and ended up coming ashore around Port Charlotte and then came up and hit Orlando. No one expected it to hit Orlando and we were unprepared. At that time, Orlando was full of evacuees from the Tampa area. I think this was in 2004.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back