AMTK Locomotive 66 Hit semi and damaged

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, so now it's been almost half a month since the accident. So the question is, where is #66 now? Is it in Chicago, Beech Grove, etc?

Great news, how did it avoid the wall of foamers that I assumed would surround it more securely than the secret service surround the president? Of course I'm jesting:D

Great news, how did it avoid the wall of foamers that I assumed would surround it more securely than the secret service surround the president? Of course I'm jesting:D
It was pretty tucked away... I barely saw it when passing it while talking to the crew (who all know me) on the Lake Shore passing the shops.

It was pretty tucked away... I barely saw it when passing it while talking to the crew (who all know me) on the Lake Shore passing the shops.
Do you know of any reasons why it was *hidden*?

High speed signaling equipment is expensive, so there are monetary reasons to have a pool for the high speed service.

How can we get it through your head that we don't know what will happen to it, as it has not been assessed by insurance people that we know of yet.

Well, its likely it will be scrapped. The question is if it will be repaired first and then how many years of service after that before it does.
I see what you did there. Of course, perhaps it will live on forever, eventually in museum service.
I suppose we might as well take this as far as it can possibly go. Forever is a really long time and any locomotive would rust and decay long before that. The glass headlight lenses would probably remain intact the longest if they were left undisturbed but eventually there would be nothing left that was large enough to see with the naked eye. Over time continents would move and oceans would form and shrink as any remaining inert molecules of the locomotive floated and drifted about. Followed by the evaporation of all surface water and eventual envelopment by the sun. It's hard for me to imagine even the tiniest least significant spec of a locomotive somehow surviving an event of such magnitude. I suppose if we had chipped away a piece of the locomotive and sent it out into space beforehand it would be able to experience the finite expansion and cooling of the universe followed by perpetual entropy. I'm not sure what if anything could possibly happen after that, but this is about as close to "forever" as my human brain can hope to comprehend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it is Tyler that seems to be convinced that it will be scrapped, and apparently it has something to do with the Heritage paint scheme, though of late he vehemently denies that. ;)
He was all over Facebook demanding it be scrapped.. Not like there is a power shortage or anything...
I just use information given to me by engineers and other amtrak friends.

Back