AMTK Locomotive 66 Hit semi and damaged

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was absolutely no need to hurry I suppose. It is going to sit around while all the paper shuffling takes place for many weeks and months anyway.
I talked to an amtrak friend a few months back and the Chicago Shops are pretty... let's just say, not very efficient and take their time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that its at the Beech Grove Shops, one question: IF they do repair it, depending on how bad the damage is to a locomotive, what's the average time it takes to repair?

As a lifelong Amtrak mechanical department employee, now retired, I can tell you that the P40 and P42 Amtrak locomotives are a monocoque design which means that the frame is integral with the body and not a separate structure. It is impossible to determine the actual amount of damage and the repairability without precise measurement and alignment tools.

I found this video which is a recording taken Sunday from a web cam in Rochelle, Illinois of a westbound Union Pacific freight train. The fourth engine is AMTK 66. Anyone know where it went?

If one were to look carefully at the pix of 66 there is a fairly significant crease just ahead of the rear truck, with some lateral deflection to the loco's right. Given there was no impact with another immovable object the only cause is major energy transfer from the rear of the locomotive to the front when the train hit the track boo boo, which is likely associated with major scrambling of internal components.

The question of scrapping or not is going to be related to the value if fixed, what it takes to get there, and what the scrap or donor value is (if there are locos on the dead line that undamaged stuff could be used to get them running).

Now that its at the Beech Grove Shops, one question: IF they do repair it, depending on how bad the damage is to a locomotive, what's the average time it takes to repair?
Look at the rolls of oos locomotives, the cheapest to fix get sent for repairs first, and only when all the money is there.

Look at the rolls of oos locomotives, the cheapest to fix get sent for repairs first, and only when all the money is there.
"oos locomotives"? What the heck are you talking about? Is that a typo or something?

If the locomotive has a distinctive "crumple" look, it probably has frame damage (That's what a foreman has told me), but I know what I said will probably be rudely rebuttaled. However, until they look at it closely and look under it, they won't know.

You know, the more you pull for it to be scrapped the more likely that thing will see service again. ;)
I never said it would be scrapped,Ive said in the pas there is a possibility it will, right now I am just saying what I heard. I haven't even paid attention to it lately, until I saw this thread pop up again

Alright. So now it's been about half a month since the last heads-up about #66. Are there any more heads-ups about it as of now?

Alright. So now it's been about half a month since the last heads-up about #66. Are there any more heads-ups about it as of now?
Ask next year. Half a month is not too long a period when it comes to such things ;)
Right. Sometimes these things can be delayed for various reasons, some having very little to do with the actual repair work. For example, pending legal action could require that an item that could be thought of as evidence can't be altered until the court approves. No telling how long that could take. After the Auto Train derailment near Crescent City in 2002, a couple of the damaged Superliner cars sat, essentially untouched, in Sanford for over a year.

You know, the more you pull for it to be scrapped the more likely that thing will see service again. ;)
I never said it would be scrapped,Ive said in the pas there is a possibility it will, right now I am just saying what I heard. I haven't even paid attention to it lately, until I saw this thread pop up again
Tyler you were all over Facebook saying it will be scraped. Don't try it.

Ask next year. Half a month is not too long a period when it comes to such things ;)
Right. Sometimes these things can be delayed for various reasons, some having very little to do with the actual repair work. For example, pending legal action could require that an item that could be thought of as evidence can't be altered until the court approves. No telling how long that could take. After the Auto Train derailment near Crescent City in 2002, a couple of the damaged Superliner cars sat, essentially untouched, in Sanford for over a year.
Additionally, this engine may have to wait for insurance companies to duke it out before they can attempt a fix. You won't see this engine for quite some time. Incidentally, the 65 was also involved in a grade crossing incident with a truck.

Additionally, this engine may have to wait for insurance companies to duke it out before they can attempt a fix.
I'll guess that has to deal with the insurance company of the Vehicle that got, well destroyed..

My former employee (Trucking Company) was self insured.

Check were issue very fast, so you did not have time to hire an lawyer. Oops sorry we totally your car, glad to see your were not hurt. Here a check for your next new car. Just sign here to settle the claim. They did this in days, if not hours.

What's the news with #66 as of now? It's been almost 2 months since the last update.

When it comes to wrecks, expect updates every few years, if not less frequently.

Back