AGR FNBO Credit Card discussion 2023 H2 -2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone else experienced "phantom charges" for $0.00 from unrecognized vendors?

This has happened to me recently twice at FNBO. (I review my bank and brokerage accounts once a week. It doesn't take long because I've done a lot of consolidating.) The $0 charge shows up in "Pending," then disappears. Clicking on the link doesn't help, it just repeats the name of the mystery vendor. They make me uneasy, like somebody's doing a test transaction with the intention of hitting my account later.

Yeah, I could call FNBO, but I expect they'd say since it disappears, don't worry.

Maybe you'll all say "Take off the tinfoil hat, Trollopian."
Just noticed this on my card this morning...
Screenshot 2023-10-11 121917.png
Now Google is getting in the act!

Nobody checks signatures anymore. The signature panel on new cards is so tiny that what I can squeeze in there bears little resemblance to my actual signature. The same is true when I sign on an electronic capture device with my finger.
Exactly. Every time I have to "sign" an electronic release pad I just drag a squiggly line across the signature block and I'm good to go.

Those type of charges are typically indicative of setting up a new credit card relationship. They are testing the card number to see if it works. Did you just put this card into Google Pay? or set up a subscription?
I don't use Google Pay. I haven't set up any subscriptions recently either (and not Google AFAIK).
Those are still in the "pending" category. I'll just keep checking my account.
EDIT Update: Just found this (thanks to Google). I do use autofill on Chrome.
Pending transactions
When you use a payment method through a Google service, during a purchase or with autofill on Chrome, you may find a charge on your account with the descriptor GOOGLE *TEMPORARY HOLD. This is a pending charge performed to verify that your card account is valid. When the transaction goes through, the hold will go away.

https://support.google.com/googlepa...When you use a payment,the hold will go away.

Last edited:
I did not have that particular problem but FNBO is a funky bank! Bank of America was simple and straight forward. Logging into FNBO the first time took a bit, because FNBO uses another URL to log in. After I go that figured out I moved onto the next issue.
One of my banks went thru a merger and their advice to me was that I did not have to worry about my checks or debit card numbers changing. I used that bank to pay FNBO. I received a letter in the mail (USPS) that said i needed to contact the FNBO customer service number as my bank was telling FNBO that the account info was incorrect. The payments went thru on both sides anyways. I spoke with CS at FNBO, they were clueless. I spoke with my bank, no flags and again no need to worry. Again I get a letter saying the same thing: please contact CS to correct you account number. The same response from the FNBO agent. I then called my bank and finally got a person that solved the problem which was the account number. I applied the new account number and made a payment and it went thru. Now I’m waiting to see if i get another letter.

I did not have that particular problem but FNBO is a funky bank! Bank of America was simple and straight forward. Logging into FNBO the first time took a bit, because FNBO uses another URL to log in. After I go that figured out I moved onto the next issue.
One of my banks went thru a merger and their advice to me was that I did not have to worry about my checks or debit card numbers changing. I used that bank to pay FNBO. I received a letter in the mail (USPS) that said i needed to contact the FNBO customer service number as my bank was telling FNBO that the account info was incorrect. The payments went thru on both sides anyways. I spoke with CS at FNBO, they were clueless. I spoke with my bank, no flags and again no need to worry. Again I get a letter saying the same thing: please contact CS to correct you account number. The same response from the FNBO agent. I then called my bank and finally got a person that solved the problem which was the account number. I applied the new account number and made a payment and it went thru. Now I’m waiting to see if i get another letter.

So it sounds like the problem was your original bank, not FNBO.

I just received a text from the FNBO Fraud Department inquiring if I had authorized an online charge of $169.75 to a Gagdet Marketing Company yesterday ( 12/6)

Since I didn't, they had me call the Fraud Department and they went over my account.

The only charge I made on this date was to Sirius Radio to extend my Account for 3 more months for Free, and then a monthly charge of $6.98 for 9 months.

The agent informed me that they would dispute the charge from the Marketing Company and that I should call back on Monday to discuss this with the Fraud Department.

It looks like I was scammed by another on line fraudster, Beware of offers like this !

I got an email yesterday about my "new" upgraded card, which they said I should have received by now, and it should be "ready to use." Since I had not requested nor received a new World card, I decided I had better call.

Turned out this was about Hubby's card (also on my email address, and I'm an authorized user, but they did not specify *whose* card in the email), which he had received back in August, and been using for months now.

For some reason, they upgraded his no-fee card to "World" status, I can't tell that anything else has changed.

Just so you know, if you got that email...

I got an email yesterday about my "new" upgraded card, which they said I should have received by now, and it should be "ready to use." Since I had not requested nor received a new World card, I decided I had better call.

Turned out this was about Hubby's card (also on my email address, and I'm an authorized user, but they did not specify *whose* card in the email), which he had received back in August, and been using for months now.

For some reason, they upgraded his no-fee card to "World" status, I can't tell that anything else has changed.

Just so you know, if you got that email...
I got the same email. As I recall my “new” card arrived some time ago.
Guessing the emails are an IT issue

I had thought about redeeming AGR points for gift cards to help with Christmas shopping, but decided to wait until the issue with disputed transactions (from a Facebook scam in August!) had finally been resolved. My November statement showed a credit (and some AGR points deducted) for the disputed transactions, which elsewhere on the statement were officially marked "resolved". But so much of the Christmas shopping is already done by now, that I no longer need to redeem AGR points for gift cards! (Guess I'll just save them for the next time the hubby and I want to take a train trip.)

Chalk this up as a FNBO annoyance: my billing cycle closes on the 8th of the month. My autopay is deducted from my bank account on the 6th. I was balancing my checkbook today (yes, I know, how very quaint), saw the debit, and said to myself "that's odd, I haven't gotten my latest FNBO statement." I logged in and sure enough there was a statement dated December 8. Just a few hours later I got an email from FNBO, "Paperless Statement Notification." Four days late.

Why isn't this sent out within 1-2 days of the statement date? Bank of America was faster, and so is my only other credit card, issued by Chase.

Chalk this up as a FNBO annoyance: my billing cycle closes on the 8th of the month. My autopay is deducted from my bank account on the 6th. I was balancing my checkbook today (yes, I know, how very quaint), saw the debit, and said to myself "that's odd, I haven't gotten my latest FNBO statement." I logged in and sure enough there was a statement dated December 8. Just a few hours later I got an email from FNBO, "Paperless Statement Notification." Four days late.

Why isn't this sent out within 1-2 days of the statement date? Bank of America was faster, and so is my only other credit card, issued by Chase.
I don't depend on those notices (wish my apt mgmt would stop sending reminders to pay the rent). I do my financials every Saturday morning (being one who lived paycheck to paycheck in the past I need to keep on top of things). I go online to my bank and FNBO each week to get my data.

I've pretty much had it with FNBO. I refuse to give them any authorization for autopay or anything on their own site. When I send them messages on their secure message page they consistently reply as if they didn't even read the question much less answer it. I don't need the points. I used to use the Amtrak card for everything, now for nothing.

I too balance the checkbook, and I avoid autopayments for the most part because I need to know how much is in the checking account. Because of a problem with online payment to Bank of America I mentioned earlier in this thread (I think), I normally mail my FNBO payment shortly after getting the bill, which is typically about two weeks before it's due. I use the FNBO credit card for most expenses that I can, not only to get the points but because I don't have to track the balance. I don't make unusual purchases without thinking about it, so I don't have a problem with the FNBO balance being more than I can pay off each month.

I get notices that my payment is due on the 4th a few days before the due date.

I pay my bill on line ( not autopay) but still receive a paper statement each month.

Last edited:

I have noticed that they don't send those notices out on weekends. My billing cycle closes on the 7th, and this time I got my notice one day later, on the 8th (last Friday). Hubby's statement closes on the 8th, and like yours, the email notice didn't come till yesterday (Tuesday 12/12). Why it didn't come on Monday is a mystery. I had already gone on the FNBO website looking for the bill, and paid it.

Anyone tried cancelling this card online? I seem to get some website errors when trying to use the "secure messaging" links. Guess I will just mail a letter. In the fine print of the statement they say to cut the card in two and mail it to:

P.O. Box 2673 Omaha, NE 68103-2673

I've never mailed a cut card back before!

Anyone tried cancelling this card online? I seem to get some website errors when trying to use the "secure messaging" links. Guess I will just mail a letter. In the fine print of the statement they say to cut the card in two and mail it to:

P.O. Box 2673 Omaha, NE 68103-2673

I've never mailed a cut card back before!
As long as there's a zero balance on an unwanted credit card, I just cut it up (into multiple small pieces), throw it in the trash (with lots of nasty leftover food scraps on top, to discourage any creative garbage pickers), and wait for the company to cancel the card for non-use.

As long as there's a zero balance on an unwanted credit card, I just cut it up (into multiple small pieces), throw it in the trash (with lots of nasty leftover food scraps on top, to discourage any creative garbage pickers), and wait for the company to cancel the card for non-use.
In a race to cancel the $99 card before renewal date, I called 2 weeks early and was told I would loose the month's points because of mid cycle cancellation. I did anyway, but points still appeared at end of month and cancellation went w/o a hitch. Phone call was simple w/o pressure.

In a race to cancel the $99 card before renewal date, I called 2 weeks early and was told I would loose the month's points because of mid cycle cancellation. I did anyway, but points still appeared at end of month and cancellation went w/o a hitch. Phone call was simple w/o pressure.
I avoid credit cards with an annual fee, but I can see where following the issuer's cancellation instructions would make sense if an annual fee is involved.

Ok good to know phone call was simple. I just called and cancelled and can confirm it was painless. It seems there phone system even lets you attempt to cancel the card via their menu options. But I knew it was too good to be true as it said it "encountered an error" or something and transferred me to an agent..

Received a phone call (and email and text from the Fraud Dept of FNBO ) asking if I'd made some charges that appeared on my account.

I had, so no Fraud, but then since the Agent was on the phone( it's the 1st so wait times are measured in Hours, not Minutes), I asked about paying my Bill via my phone since I no longer have a Home Computer and the Snail Mail is Slower than Moses!.

She helped me set up a Draft from my Checking Account on a date determined by me, with me also choosing the due date, and I will still get a Paper Statememt as before.

Excellent Customer Service, on a par with what I used to expierience from American Express back in my Working Days.😊

Last edited:
Has anyone had any luck downgrading from the $99 card to the no-fee card? I was told previously by an FBNO rep that they won't do this and each card must be applied for separately.

Back