AGR FNBO Credit Card discussion 2023 H2 -2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennyk

Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
I was pleasantly reminded the other day (and thus decided to remind all of us here) of the rebate for Amtrak onboard food & drink purchases made with the FNBO card, 20% for the annual-fee card and 10% for the no-fee card.

I saw a credit on my recent statement for "rewards customer rebate Omaha." A quick google led me back to the FNBO website and a list of the card's benefits.

This was presumably from eating in the cafe car during my June trip to and from Kansas City. It does not seem to include tips if you tip on the card rather than cash. Still, a welcome addition to the AGR points for using the card for an Amtrak purchase.

I was pleasantly reminded the other day (and thus decided to remind all of us here) of the rebate for Amtrak onboard food & drink purchases made with the FNBO card, 20% for the annual-fee card and 10% for the no-fee card.

I saw a credit on my recent statement for "rewards customer rebate Omaha." A quick google led me back to the FNBO website and a list of the card's benefits.

This was presumably from eating in the cafe car during my June trip to and from Kansas City. It does not seem to include tips if you tip on the card rather than cash. Still, a welcome addition to the AGR points for using the card for an Amtrak purchase.
IIRC the BofA card offered the same/similiar. But anyway, nice little benefit.

It does not seem to include tips if you tip on the card rather than cash. Still, a welcome addition to the AGR points for using the card for an Amtrak purchase.
Actually, I redid the math and the rebate may well include tips on the card. Math is not my strong suit, and I shouldn't do it without a net calculator.

Actually, I redid the math and the rebate may well include tips on the card. Math is not my strong suit, and I shouldn't do it without a net calculator.
Physics teacher here. I offer my services gratis to a fellow Amtrak rider.

And I mentioned this to the cafe attendant the last time I was on the Carolinian. For someone that travels a lot on Amtrak that alone can pay for the $99 fee.

And I mentioned this to the cafe attendant the last time I was on the Carolinian. For someone that travels a lot on Amtrak that alone can pay for the $99 fee.
The Preferred card rebate is 10% higher than the no-fee card's, so you'd have to spend $990 a year in Cafe cars to cover the annual fee.

The Preferred card rebate is 10% higher than the no-fee card's, so you'd have to spend $990 a year in Cafe cars to cover the annual fee.
If one traveled once a month on Amtrak (not implausible) and ate in the cafe both ways, it wouldn't take too much to get to $990. Also, if you're in coach on certain long-distance trains and have a little luck to get seated, the dining car at the rate of $20 breakfast, $25 lunch & $45 dinner per person.

That would be about $20 a week on average for a 50 week year (not counting two weeks of vacation) and if vacation was on Amtrak with family that $20 mark could be a bit lower. If someone took Amtrak round trip once a week that would be $10 each way. Two drinks and a snack would do it I guess. A bit of a reach but not impossible and that is not considering the points.

If you are already planning a long distance trip with someone, the companion coupon alone can easily pay back the $99 fee.

Surprisingly the best deal on sleeper rail fare is from PDX-CHI on the Builder - $308. Companion coupon makes that $0.
I'd forgotten that the companion coupon could knock out the fare for a second passenger in a sleeper.

What number do you call when you have the FNBO card, have never been on Amtrak, don't know what you are doing, etc.?

Don't know what you're doing in terms of using the credit card? Or don't know what you're doing in terms of booking a trip and traveling on Amtrak?

Both numbers are on the back of the credit card --

FNBO: 1-855-350-6589
Amtrak Guest Rewards: 1-800-307-5000

I know what to do and how to use a credit card. I will call Amtrak Guest Rewards. I'm a tad bit overwhelmed, which is usually caused by beginnings. Once I get going, I can find my way around, and it doesn't take long. I have read so much on this forum, and there appears to be much to learn. I am resourceful, plus I appreciate your answer. Thank you.

Don't know what you're doing in terms of using the credit card? Or don't know what you're doing in terms of booking a trip and traveling on Amtrak?

Both numbers are on the back of the credit card --

FNBO: 1-855-350-6589
Amtrak Guest Rewards: 1-800-307-5000
Maybe 8 am EST is the preferred time to call? I called this evening and was on hold for almost an hour. Knowing that 8 pm EST was very soon, I decided to wait until earlier in the day tomorrow.

I'm a tad bit overwhelmed, which is usually caused by beginnings.
This forum was created to help people understand how to use Amtrak and hopefully get the most out of their trips. So if you have a question we probably have an answer, and it might even be correct sometimes! Our track record may be imperfect but we do try our best. 😅

What number do you call when you have the FNBO card, have never been on Amtrak, don't know what you are doing, etc.?
For what?

Since you have an FNBO Amtrak card, and likely did not previously have an AGR account, one got assigned for you when your FNBO AGR account was opened. Unfortunately, FNBO doesn't print the AGR account number like BoA did, and it also doesn't appear on the statements. If you do not know the AGR number assigned, look in your AGR welcome pack, or call AGR (not FNBO) and ask them to look it up by name.

If you want to ride Amtrak, deal with Amtrak, not FNBO. Always use your AGR account number in making your Amtrak reservations so as to get your AGR points for the trip. The AGR phone number (provided above by @trainman74) is staffed with more experienced agents and also usually has shorter wait times. If you prefer to use the the website or app, establish a login using your AGR number, if you haven't already, and always sign in when making reservations.

Hi, thanks for the replies. I have the preferred Mastercard and a deadline to earn the bonus points. I was approved in late May 2023. Through some problems with FNBO and then my credit union, per a fraud alert put on my new card before I received it, I just received it a couple of days ago. The fine print when I applied for the card on the Amtrak website under the application for the card says I have three months to earn the bonus points and other bonuses as part of the sign-up and approval. I was approved in May, and while FNBO told us (my credit union and me), they would send the card to me FedEx Express, and I would sign for it, I found it in my mailbox sent tracked and insured by USPS almost week later after the promised date of the FedEx Express delivery. The date on the envelope is July 10.

When I asked this group what I should do, it was because I had to call the bank issuer and activate every credit card I had ever received. This card did not need activation. I am good with that. It's the first time, but minor to this question and the other questions I have.

I got my first credit card 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and I have a lot of experience with banks and credit cards.

FNBO beats everything I have ever dealt with, but finally, I have the card. I should have three months from receiving the card. Maybe I do.

If so, do I receive the points when I book the trip(s), or do I have to take Amtrak before receiving the issues and the other stuff (lounge access obviously while on Amtrak) and companion code?

I hope to book the trips and get the points like that. I suspect it is not going to be that way.

I have other questions. Here is one. I joined Amtrak Guest Rewards before I applied for the card. I get requests to buy points from Amtrak before July 31, 2023, and I will earn bonus points. These seem to come around more than once. This is my second offer. Unless someone can give me a compelling reason, I want to get the bonus points for signing and receiving the card before I start buying. Is there a good reason to purchase points? I thought I read that if I am using points, I am paying the most and cannot try to get a lower price from the bucket. Pardon if my terminology is off. This is an exciting learning experience. The sooner I learn the ropes, the sooner I can ride Amtrak.

I have other questions. Here is one. I joined Amtrak Guest Rewards before I applied for the card. I get requests to buy points from Amtrak before July 31, 2023, and I will earn bonus points. These seem to come around more than once. This is my second offer. Unless someone can give me a compelling reason, I want to get the bonus points for signing and receiving the card before I start buying. Is there a good reason to purchase points? I thought I read that if I am using points, I am paying the most and cannot try to get a lower price from the bucket. Pardon if my terminology is off. This is an exciting learning experience. The sooner I learn the ropes, the sooner I can ride Amtrak.

There is a thread dedicated to points purchasing and possibly someone may respond to your question in that thread (which I will bump to make it current)

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/purchasing-points.76140/

Hi, thanks for the replies. I have the preferred Mastercard and a deadline to earn the bonus points. I was approved in late May 2023. Through some problems with FNBO and then my credit union, per a fraud alert put on my new card before I received it, I just received it a couple of days ago. The fine print when I applied for the card on the Amtrak website under the application for the card says I have three months to earn the bonus points and other bonuses as part of the sign-up and approval. I was approved in May, and while FNBO told us (my credit union and me), they would send the card to me FedEx Express, and I would sign for it, I found it in my mailbox sent tracked and insured by USPS almost week later after the promised date of the FedEx Express delivery. The date on the envelope is July 10.

When I asked this group what I should do, it was because I had to call the bank issuer and activate every credit card I had ever received. This card did not need activation. I am good with that. It's the first time, but minor to this question and the other questions I have.

I got my first credit card 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and I have a lot of experience with banks and credit cards.

FNBO beats everything I have ever dealt with, but finally, I have the card. I should have three months from receiving the card. Maybe I do.

If so, do I receive the points when I book the trip(s), or do I have to take Amtrak before receiving the issues and the other stuff (lounge access obviously while on Amtrak) and companion code?

I hope to book the trips and get the points like that. I suspect it is not going to be that way.

1. You would need to call FNBO to see if your bonus point purchase period is or could be extended due to the delay in receiving your card. Only FNBO would have the power to do it, not AGR. And do not assume the bonus purchase period would have been extended, call and check. That is a lot of points on the line.
2. Purchasing points isn't usually worth it, bonus or no. I've only done it when I was a little short of points for a trip and it made sense to buy the extra rather than pay a cash fare. With that said, buying using the FNBO card and getting 3x points for an Amtrak purchase, plus the bonus points on the offer might pencil out for you based on your personal aspirations for Amtrak travel. None of us can tell you, figure out if it makes for you using the .0236 point value.
3. Make sure the FNBO card is attached to your pre-existing AGR account. Many here who closed their BoA cards prior to the switch and then opened an FNBO account in order to capture bonus points found FNBO opened a new AGR account with the card. It took some doing for them to get them reconciled.

Last edited:
Back