AGR FNBO Credit Card discussion 2023 H2 -2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if I scratch off my new card those three code numbers on the back if that will cause mischief? I tried it on the old card and the numbers came off easily - they're printed on. Wouldn't that make it impossible for someone to make charges without the card itself even if they have the card number?

I wonder if I scratch off my new card those three code numbers on the back if that will cause mischief? I tried it on the old card and the numbers came off easily - they're printed on. Wouldn't that make it impossible for someone to make charges without the card itself even if they have the card number?

Maybe I’m not understanding this, but how would scratching the numbers off your card have any effect on someone making fraudulent charges if they didn’t physically have your card in the first place?

Am I the only one not able to log into the website. I paid the bill that is due tomorrow and went back in to the website to check something and tried different browsers and such and no luck getting logged back in.
They are doing maintenance when you can't log in, as has been my experience. I tried logging in earlier but could not, so I called. I was transferred to a human after giving the information the recorded voice asked for. This person answered and immediately thanked me for my patience because there was no information for me while maintenance was updating the accounts, and it would be 8 a.m. before I could get any information. I had made a charge, and I was surprised I did not get a notice on my app, email, or text—all of the other credit cards I have sent me such a notice. The charge was substantial, so this is more concerning. It is what it is. :)

If you are concerned that someone will use your card if it is in their possession where it says to sign for your name instead, you can write "ask for identification."

Maybe I’m not understanding this, but how would scratching the numbers off your card have any effect on someone making fraudulent charges if they didn’t physically have your card in the first place?
Wouldn’t it help if the card (or names, number and expiration date were attempted to be copied off) was later stolen for card not present transactions? That about all I could see it helping with? A person would need to remember what they actually were if they wanted to do a card not present transaction themselves.

And since there are no changes in the account number, expiration date, and CVC, what are other people doing with their old card to make it unavailable for other people, like the people who go through trash, to use?
When I dispose of a expired credit card I cut it into 3 or 4 pieces making sure I separate my name info and card info onto different pieces. Then I'll put one or two in the recycle bin one day and later put the other piece(s) into the recycle bin.

And since there are no changes in the account number, expiration date, and CVC, what are other people doing with their old card to make it unavailable for other people, like the people who go through trash, to use?
My shredder has a slot for credit cards and CDs. Credit cards are no longer embossed, as use of carbon copy readers are no longer allowed.
The info is on the mag stripe as well, so that should be made unreadable. My shredder will also like do a number on the embedded chip.

how would scratching the numbers off your card have any effect on someone making fraudulent charges if they didn’t physically have your card in the first place?
If someone has the acct #, exp date and code they can make online or phone purchases without the card. Sometimes zip code is also required but not always.
Now I'm thinking a restaurant server who has my card in hand unattended for a moment could make a mental note of the short numbers and then the acct #from their receipt later.
This is what I suspect happened to my card. That's all I have used the card for except Amtrak ticket purchases with the app.
So I was wondering about obliterating the 3 digit# on the back in order to foil that possibility. Capisce?

If you are concerned that someone will use your card if it is in their possession where it says to sign for your name instead, you can write "ask for identification."
Nobody checks signatures anymore. The signature panel on new cards is so tiny that what I can squeeze in there bears little resemblance to my actual signature. The same is true when I sign on an electronic capture device with my finger.

About the 1,000 TQPs for $5,000 spending on the Preferred card:
  • It's $5,000 since account opening, not just within a calendar year, right?
  • It says allow up to 8 weeks, but how long did it really take for them to show up, after hitting $5,000?
Thanks/

About the 1,000 TQPs for $5,000 spending on the Preferred card:
  • It's $5,000 since account opening, not just within a calendar year, right?
  • It says allow up to 8 weeks, but how long did it really take for them to show up, after hitting $5,000?
Thanks/
Mine usually show up at or soon after the statement date after the $5,000 spent is reached.
And, yes, it’s not limited to how many times you get it per year.

I got an email saying there was something fishy about my account and please call this number. Even tho the source email was weird, i.e. NOT fnbo.com I called the number which asked for personal id info so i hung up. I sent a secure message via the website and got a reply saying call the main number to speak to a rep. I balked but relented and called early in the AM. The rep told me the Uber charge pending was identified as suspect. True. I got a new card today (over a week) and tried to activate but the site is down. Any other card I've had was a phone activation. I got a separate letter from the fraud dept saying if the charge in my complaint (!!) is deemed legitimate I'll not be charged!
I don't think I like fnbo very much. Seems like a rinkydink Operation.

Edit: the original email came from fnni.com which was the first alarm. 2nd alarm when I called the number provided and a recording told me to enter my email address. Wut?! How do you do that on a phone?
If you do an Internet search (I use Freespoke.com) for FNBO, you will find that this is a LARGE bank with billions in assets. It is a part of the Nebraska banking system. Don't let the rinky-dink fool you. This is a large bank with substantial assets.

If you do an Internet search (I use Freespoke.com) for FNBO, you will find that this is a LARGE bank with billions in assets. It is a part of the Nebraska banking system. Don't let the rinky-dink fool you. This is a large bank with substantial assets.
Being part of the Nebraska banking system doesn’t make it seem impressive or less rinky-dink…. but I was born in Jersey, so who am I to judge 😂

I've had only good experiences with FNBO. I can't say that about TD Bank. If your online TD payment is over a certain threshold they take their time processing or put it on hold until you agree to their payment date. Despite putting a payment to FNBO two weeks before due date it ended up as a late payment. FNBO was very sympathtic as they removed the late fee and finance charge.

I've had only good experiences with FNBO. I can't say that about TD Bank. If your online TD payment is over a certain threshold they take their time processing or put it on hold until you agree to their payment date. Despite putting a payment to FNBO two weeks before due date it ended up as a late payment. FNBO was very sympathtic as they removed the late fee and finance charge.
I’m not a big fan of TD Bank either…when I did a 0% balance transfer with them I wanted to set up automatic payments for a fixed amount in order to pay off the balance before the 0% promotion ran out. For some reason their minimalist website doesn’t let you do automatic payments for fixed amounts, only minimum payments or statement balance, those are the only options.

I made a charge to FNBO and paid immediately. They eagerly gobbled up my payment. I'm waiting until closer to the due date to pay the next charge. For some reason, I had a negative balance last time. I have some other bills to pay, so that I will wait until closer to the due date for FNBO.

Last edited:
When I make an online payment to FNBO, they immediately load up a confirmation page. I print that as a pdf and save on my computer. It takes a few days for them to hit my checking account and actually take out the money, but they state that the day I made the online payment was the day the received the money, so I've never had any problems with late payments.

Has anyone else experienced "phantom charges" for $0.00 from unrecognized vendors?

This has happened to me recently twice at FNBO. (I review my bank and brokerage accounts once a week. It doesn't take long because I've done a lot of consolidating.) The $0 charge shows up in "Pending," then disappears. Clicking on the link doesn't help, it just repeats the name of the mystery vendor. They make me uneasy, like somebody's doing a test transaction with the intention of hitting my account later.

Yeah, I could call FNBO, but I expect they'd say since it disappears, don't worry.

Maybe you'll all say "Take off the tinfoil hat, Trollopian."

Has anyone else experienced "phantom charges" for $0.00 from unrecognized vendors?

This has happened to me recently twice at FNBO. (I review my bank and brokerage accounts once a week. It doesn't take long because I've done a lot of consolidating.) The $0 charge shows up in "Pending," then disappears. Clicking on the link doesn't help, it just repeats the name of the mystery vendor. They make me uneasy, like somebody's doing a test transaction with the intention of hitting my account later.

Yeah, I could call FNBO, but I expect they'd say since it disappears, don't worry.

I"ve seen that, not just with FNBO. I believe they are "test" charges for a possible later charge.
Just what I "think"!

I think you should call, it does seem like a set up for a scam charge!@

Hey all-- just wondering if others have had similar problems and found an easy resolution. I signed up for Amtrak Guest Rewards (preferred/ $99 fee) in April, had trouble accessing my account for some time (thus my credit took a ding because of the need to pay the annual fee), and my first large purchase was in July (thus I am assuming I missed the first 3 billing cycles). I am now starting to earn 'net purchase' points-- but has anyone had luck attempting to get some of the 20,000 points (or any points for opening the FNBO card) after the fact, and/or after arguing that they were unable to access their account? Thanks in advance for any advice here!

One thing I don’t like about this card is that they won’t allow me to make payments from 2 different banks in the same billing period.

Hey all-- just wondering if others have had similar problems and found an easy resolution. I signed up for Amtrak Guest Rewards (preferred/ $99 fee) in April, had trouble accessing my account for some time (thus my credit took a ding because of the need to pay the annual fee), and my first large purchase was in July (thus I am assuming I missed the first 3 billing cycles). I am now starting to earn 'net purchase' points-- but has anyone had luck attempting to get some of the 20,000 points (or any points for opening the FNBO card) after the fact, and/or after arguing that they were unable to access their account? Thanks in advance for any advice here!
Not exactly the same situation, but when I opened the card, FNBO linked my card to a mysterious new AGR account instead of my real account. After several calls to AGR (they kept telling me to be patient), I eventually got the points credited, but not immediately -- they had to send it to another department and the points showed up a couple of weeks later as a "Goodwill adjustment."

Now I'm trying to get the 1,000 TQP for $5,000 spend. Apparently the charges I made during that initial period didn't accrue towards that, either. On a call last week, AGR said they were sending it to that other department.

Hi, I had a similar situation with the preferred/$99 fee card. I had trouble accessing my account for several months, and my credit union had issues with how FNBO was conducting business. I complained to FNBO and Amtrak Guest Rewards, and each blamed the other. Just as I would ask my attorney to word it so both would understand, the 20,000 points appeared in my account. I mentioned the attorney to Amtrak Guest Rewards. The person at AGR I was speaking to spoke much faster and clearly had said all she knew to say and wanted to discontinue the phone call. It was pleasant, as always. I would never have been unpleasant to anyone as that is not my way of getting things done. I was greatly relieved to see the 20,000 points without further action on my part. When I had trouble accessing my account after approval, I did not pay, nor was I billed the $99 fee until the situation with my credit union and FNBO was resolved. Since billing did not start until FNBO's problem was handled satisfactorily, I wonder if the three billing cycles began with the $99 fee payment. There is some ambiguity in the contract's wording, which I signed upon application.
Did you pay the $99 fee and then have problems accessing your account because of FNBO?

Back