Yesterday's SWC (12/3/10)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregL

Service Attendant
I was checking out the Amtrak status map and noticed the westbound Southwest Chief lost 12 hours after Naperville, Il. Anyone know the reason?

GregL

I was checking out the Amtrak status map and noticed the westbound Southwest Chief lost 12 hours after Naperville, Il. Anyone know the reason?

GregL
The westbound #3 was damaged in Plano IL by wooden planks that had come loose at a highway grade crossing. The planks penetrated some of the locomotive's electrical equipment and disabled the train. The train went back to Chicago (assisted by Metra power) where they replaced the locomotive and started west for a second time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a video of poor #3(3) being towed back to Chicago by Metra. Amtrak towed by a commuter train. Oh, the insult of it all. :lol:

Wow, that was very weird to see!!!

That debris must have gone down on the tracks just before #3 got there... considering #5 uses the same tracks just an hour or two ahead of it.

I see #3 is 13 hours down and not even into KCY as of this post!

Wow. One Metra locomotive (was it an F40ph?) providing HEP and powering both trains and running at a good speed. Wonder how long it took it to get up to that speed.

Too bad some pax couldn't stay on while it got towed back instead of being bussed. Although if i was on that train and I had the money and there was room i would find a hotel and book myself on the next days SWC.

I didn't see any indication that the passengers were put on buses. As far as I can tell, everyone remained on board.

I didn't see any indication that the passengers were put on buses. As far as I can tell, everyone remained on board.
According to the video description

The passengers were loaded onto buses to continue their trip, while a rescue Metra train was dispatched several hours later to tow #3's equipment back to Chicago, leaving the Amtrak engines either in Plano or set out at Eola.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back