Where is Starlight Diner Crew Base?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have had every meal in the parlour car... But it's a Sightseer Lounge substitute. But yes, I had lunch today in the Parlour/sightseer and was quite a nicer experience.
I thought they always used a CCC for Parlour substitutions. How does the Parlour car attendant cook the food in a Sightseer Lounge? There is no kitchen downstairs like in the CCC.
I thought the Parlor Car food was prepared in the dining car. The Parlor also has no kitchen facilities. At least the Sightseer has a microwave in the snack bar!

I thought the Parlor Car food was prepared in the dining car. The Parlor also has no kitchen facilities. At least the Sightseer has a microwave in the snack bar!
No. The Parlour car meals are prepared in the Parlour car. There is a small kitchen on one end of the car which has everything needed. The CCC's have a full kitchen downstairs.

No. The Parlour car meals are prepared in the Parlour car. There is a small kitchen on one end of the car which has everything needed. The CCC's have a full kitchen downstairs.
Sorry,You are Inncorect Sir! The Food for the PPC is prepared in the Diner by the Chef(s) and carried to the PPC by the Attendant! The last two times I rode the Hot Plate Serving Trays in the PPC were not even used, the Food was brought Directly from the Diner and Served from the Pans! This even included the Salads and Sandwiches served @ Lunch!

Sorry,You are Inncorect Sir! The Food for the PPC is prepared in the Diner by the Chef(s) and carried to the PPC by the Attendant! The last two times I rode the Hot Plate Serving Trays in the PPC were not even used, the Food was brought Directly from the Diner and Served from the Pans! This even included the Salads and Sandwiches served @ Lunch!
Could have sworn I have read about this on here before and that meals were prepared in the Parlour car. But you know, I have been known to be wrong before!

Not really sure if your implying something but I've been on 10 Long distance (I. E. overnight) amtrak trains in the past 6 months, so I have good comparisons. (It's hard to tell online... If you were just stating your experiences I certainly believe them, bad crews are becoming very rare on Amtrak, which is a great thing).

I'll keep that in mind while I'm in Cali. Oops. :p

Seriously though... I've heard lots of people from California say "I'm from Cali" - didn't realize it wasn't pc. (But what is these days).

Oh and I would have been very disappointed with a CCC car, at least we still had the big windows and comfortable lounge chairs... Only thing we missed was the charm and heritage of the real deal.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="leemell" data-cid="417862" data-time="1358451028"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="TVRM610" data-cid="417291" data-time="1358263828"><p>I didn't think people from Cali could be rude though? Haha. Does LA also staff Sunset?</p></blockquote>

<br />

We've been on the Starlight four times and have never had a bad moment with any of the OBS crews, Just our data point.<br />

<br />

BTW, while I know it has come into currency, as a native Californian I still object the "Cali" abbreviation as much as San Franciscans object to "Frisco". I personally don't like the sound and it seems slightly rude to me.<br />

<br />

Thanks</p></blockquote>

I've always wondered why People from LA arent offended by "LA" and yet the San Francisco Folks are offended by "Frisco?"

And whats up with calling the City by the Bay "THE CITY"? :eek: Thought New York had that Title wrapped up! ;)

I do give them hats off for banning cell phones and other gadgets as those are a major distraction for people trying to relax and eact, especially in the tight confines of a Diner. Though I would hope they don't get upset over a camera.
My cell phone is my camera. I use my cell phone to take pictures of every single meal I eat on amtrak. I would be beyond livid if I was told by an LSA that I couldn't have my iPhone at the table.

Amen.

Don't want to be distracted by a "gadget"? Don't use one.

Can't handle other people using theirs (in a reasonably polite fashion)? Take your meal in your room.

But mind your own business and don't encourage them to make up and enforce whatever rule strikes their fancy.

Amen.
Don't want to be distracted by a "gadget"? Don't use one.

Can't handle other people using theirs (in a reasonably polite fashion)? Take your meal in your room.

But mind your own business and don't encourage them to make up and enforce whatever rule strikes their fancy.
True that, but I've found that sharing a table with someone who prefers to text to talking to strangers a bit off-putting. I know, I know, it's me, not them. I was born in a simpler time, when if you wanted to send someone a message, you poked a clay tablet with a reed stylus, then sent it by onager sledge. Still... I think that I'm in the distinct minority that derives amusement from dining car antics. As long as my steak and baked potato arrive hot, it's all just raw material for the trip chronicle, and in my experience, those dining car attendants with the strongest notions of how a dining car should be run are the ones who get the hottest food to my table. YMMV, of course.

ETA: I have to admit that I've only had breakfast in the dining car on the Coast Starlight. We always take other meals in the PPC, just because it has a different menu. We're always on the Coast Starlight in conjunction with two other long distance trains, and it's nice to have different choices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I would totally agree that it's off-putting, and would never do it.

But, when my family occupies a full table and I want to pull out my phone and read an email I don't really want a dining car attendant making up rules and telling me not to.

I also don't think that we here should be cheerleading Amtrak employees that decide to make up their own rules just because we happen to agree with them.

Yes exactly... I use my phone to take pics of my meals as well... I also use it to jot down names of employees. It's not an LSA's job to give a long list of rules about the dining car, nor is it her job to use a marker board and call people by first name as if she was a grade school teacher. Amtrak has procedures for a reason.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Ryan" data-cid="417963" data-time="1358478521"><p>

Oh, I would totally agree that it's off-putting, and would never do it.<br />

<br />

But, when my family occupies a full table and I want to pull out my phone and read an email I don't really want a dining car attendant making up rules and telling me not to.<br />

<br />

I also don't think that we here should be cheerleading Amtrak employees that decide to make up their own rules just because we happen to agree with them.</p></blockquote>

One time I was seated at a table with one other person - a young gentleman who was listening to music through earbuds. I guess I'm old fashioned too, but it bothered me . Once I gave up on the idea of actually interacting with my dinner companions :giggle: I just ignored him and had a pleasant meal looking out the window and eavesdropping on the other conversations around me. ^_^ Still, one of the oddest social situations I've encountered while eating onboard.

I've always wondered why People from LA arent offended by "LA" and yet the San Francisco Folks are offended by "Frisco?"And whats up with calling the City by the Bay "THE CITY"? :eek: Thought New York had that Title wrapped up! ;)
I don't know either. People have been calling SF "the city"for a very long time, when I was there in the '50s, they were doing it.

San Francisco as been "The City" for as long as I've been around. It is a title that provides a minor point of contention with a small few in San Jose and Oakland who think their respective Metro's are bigger/better. But ask 99.9% of Bay Area locals about "The City" and you'll instantly be referring to SF.

As for New York holding the title? NYC is on a whole other planet from SF! :giggle:

"The city" is generally just the closest actual city to where you live. Where I grew up, Philadelphia was "the city,". Now in PVD, Boston is "the city".

I don't think any one city can claim that title.

"The city" is generally just the closest actual city to where you live. Where I grew up, Philadelphia was "the city,". Now in PVD, Boston is "the city".
I don't think any one city can claim that title.
Well, in SF they made a real big deal of it (e.g. it is always capitalized there) and have for a very long time. I've had SFers insist that it was the only one and anybody who didn't know that was somehow "uneducated". I found and find it all very hilarious and pretentious.

SF is more known as "The City by the Bay" in songs and books. Around the Bay Area we just say I'm going to the City or I'm going to the Westfield in the City.

From San Francisco would be a Native San Franciscan (for which I am one...)

Just like "Noe"(the street) is not said NO (easiest way to tell a visitor) but NO-E. Funny story that was in the paper was that the local transit system, SF MUNI, has the recordings made for the ADA announcements out of state. When they were uploaded to the buses the pronounciations were said the way they look to sound, not the way locals say the streets. So they had to be re-recorded and uploaded to the "local" pronounciation of the Street Names.

I mean it might be that I've lived my entire life around here but I never really thought about using any other terms or how others may think of those terms. Interesting to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up in a liitle hill-town in Napa Valley. "Going to town" meant St. Helena. "Downtown" was Napa. But the biggie was "THE CITY", which of course was San Francisco. However, I was not allowed to go there without my parents until I was 19 or 20. Too much worldliness, you know.

Funny thing....my sister and I are taking the train/bus to SF on Tuesday for a little "sister time". I trust we can behave ourselves and not succomb to the "big city" temptations. This will be her first Amtrak experiance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back