Where is Starlight Diner Crew Base?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TVRM610

Conductor
So I'm on board the southbound Starlight and this is by far the worst dining car staff I've ever seen on Amtrak. The LSA walks the train in a white hoodie (totally non uniform) and writes down your first name on a marker board and then calls you to lunch / dinner by name. Naturally there are multiple people on the train with the same first name, so that plan doesn't work.

The LSA told people in the diner "no cell phones in here" during lunch. And then when making her dinner announcements says over the pa "there is to be no use of electronic devices in the dining car as it is a huge distraction to the crew"

The waiter I had for dinner was beyond rude.

Couple I'm seated with gets the whole "baked, mashed or rice" and they say what? "I said baked mashed or rice" they say did you say you have fries? "You tell me if you want baked mashed or rice" in that "how come you can't understand me" tone of voice. Everything he said was in a quick and abrasive tone.

Then he turns around and tells the table across from us (its 6:40, first seating was at 5:30) that they have more seatings so it's time for them to leave.

Then he and the LSA have a graphic conversation about a customer breast feeding in the diner while they (the crew) sit at the booth behind us.

Entrees get served.

One lady at another table asked about the wines and he said something along the lines of "I don't know anything about the wines, they are listed on the menu" and she said oh, ok ill just have water then. (Can't blame her for that).

When a man at another table sent his food back cause it wasn't cooked or something, when he got to the middle of the car the waiter said "we'll sh*t" loud enough to be heard (I was 2 tables away from the center.)

Table in front had to ask about dessert. I never was offered dessert either, after the other passengers at my table left I asked the LSA if I could have a cheesecake to go. She did get that for me.

Sorry if this is becoming more of a trip report, my main question is where is this crew based out of? I'm guessing Seattle? Is the Seattle crew base known for being bad?

Now the food is great.. No complaints on the chef, the deluxe grilled cheese at lunch was amazingly good. And the parlor car (which is a sightseer lounge.... Oh well) attendant as well as my sleeper attendant are both excellent.

Trust me ill be getting names... Course the waiter wasn't wearing a name tag, but I'll be reporting this one.

And before someone reminds me... I am well aware that this board is not affiliated with Amtrak! Ha. Kinda trying to see if anyone else has experienced this crew too....

I do give them hats off for banning cell phones and other gadgets as those are a major distraction for people trying to relax and eact, especially in the tight confines of a Diner. Though I would hope they don't get upset over a camera.

Olympian... I'd be fine with a "please refrain from cell phone conversations while in the diner" announcement. That's not what we got though. It's the over all attitude and un-professionalism (is that a word? Ha)

And this morning she seated me in her hoodie while texting (or something) on her phone. Literally she did not stop texting as she sat me.

The good news is.... I had the other waiter and he was fine.

Mod.'s - I feel like this sorta belongs in trip reports.... Feel free to move it there if you agree.

Olympian... I'd be fine with a "please refrain from cell phone conversations while in the diner" announcement. That's not what we got though. It's the over all attitude and un-professionalism (is that a word? Ha)
Agreed! It sounds like you have some perfect examples of people who have absolutely no business being in Customer Service, especially front line Customer Service. Since the Starlight is Amtrak's Flagship train, the management seems very protective of it and hopefully your complaints will result in the quick filing of some Termination With Cause papers for these people.

I have had very good to excellent service on the eastbound Sunset and both ways on the Southwest Chief, both of which are staffed out of LA. I am sorry about your obnoxious treatment, which, as you describe it, is pathetic. I would certainly be writing letters, too.

I have had very good to excellent service on the eastbound Sunset and both ways on the Southwest Chief, both of which are staffed out of LA. I am sorry about your obnoxious treatment, which, as you describe it, is pathetic. I would certainly be writing letters, too.
Good! That means its not the LA crew base as a whole, but rather an isolated group.

I've got Nanette in the Parlour "sightseer" Car ha, and a great sleeper attendant, a lady named Toni. So I'm still having a great time! The train has been early into every station.

Have you considered eating in the PPC, the Food and Ambiance are much Better than the Diner! And yes, this Diner Crew is an Anomoly, most of the Folks on the Starlight are First Rate when it comes to Service and Attitude! Please do let Customer Relations know when you get Home!

Last edited by a moderator:
Get names (which, uh, I always forget to do. :blush: ) Different crews really have different behavior. On the Lake Shore Limited, one of the diner crews (two middle-aged black men) is absolutely *spectacular*, real sweeties who hustle (and I probably should have sent in letters of commendation for them). Another crew is sort of professional but uninterested. A third is brusque (but not to the "I'd report them to their bosses" stage).

On the California Zephyr, the dining car service has ranged from absolutely brilliant (a really old fellow -- when I asked him for extra water he brought it immediately) to moderately bad (I was spending so long waiting for my water to be refilled that I was certainly delaying the next sitting and probably the sitting after that, but the waitress was paying no attention.)

I have noticed that dining crews seem to stick together -- you'll get the same entire group at one time, usually.

The variability is just like it is with sleeper attendants; I've had the same absolutely spectacular one (bad with names again :blush: ) on the California Zephyr three times, giving her ever-larger tips each time. On the LSL, I can remember two excellent, one unforgivably absent and unreachable (he didn't get tipped), and one obvious newbie (doing his best but not on top of things).

I suppose it is best to report both the really bad and the really excellent to Amtrak.

That LSA sounds familiar... I know Nanette was the PPC attendant and she seems to be in many of the photos inside the Coast Starlight consist booklet that you (may have) received in your room when you boarded.

That LSA also sounds familiar though personally I didn't have any have a poor experience. I felt the passengers were being a bit unfair on her for our trip. Granted it was our (guess we shared the same birthday) birthday. Someone ate their whole meal and then said they didn't like it and wanted another one. Another passenger tried to throw wine at her because the food was taking too long. And yet another one complained about how she couldn't eat when she wanted to eat and the dining car should serve her when she wants to be served dinner because she has more needs than anyone else on this train?!?

The announcements sound similar... though it was a blue hoodie on our trip. But she joked with us when she came by our room to get reservations and managed to remember my name the whole time too. She's a bit... straight forward and not one for pleasantries though. But maybe that's just what I'm used to from where I work. I can understand though how some would be offended though by her sometimes crude humor and lack of compassion. Just didn't personally have a problem with her.

This was back in October. Rode from Seattle to Oxnard on points for my birthday with my girlfriend so we saw the dining car crew for all the meals (minus two we had in the PPC). I don't recall the male server you mentioned but I'm pretty sure the crews usually stick together for the most part until (I presume) they rebid.

I'd say terminations are a bit harsh if it is the first complaint for those involved. Retraining would be critical though along with a signed agreement by the employee. If the behavior continues then move it to suspensions and termination. Maybe that's just from me working in a Union Environment in Transit but Progressive Discipline is usually how we have to do it.

As to your story, I'd certainly report it. If no one says anything that type of behavior will just continue. By bringing it to the attention of the company it places the burden on them to correct the issue. They pass it along to the employee which places the burden on the employee. And if the employee doesn't improve they will be looking for other employement in the future.

I would have had every meal in the parlour car... But it's a Sightseer Lounge substitute. But yes, I had lunch today in the Parlour/sightseer and was quite a nicer experience. I was offered a refill and dessert!!!! Ha.

And Nathan... I made sure to get names of everyone... Good and bad.

Have you considered eating in the PPC, the Food and Ambiance are much Better than the Diner! And yes, this Diner Crew is an Anomoly, most of the Folks on the Starlight are First Rate when it comes to Service and Attitude! Please do let Customer Relations know when you get Home!

Get names (which, uh, I always forget to do. :blush: ) Different crews really have different behavior. On the Lake Shore Limited, one of the diner crews (two middle-aged black men) is absolutely *spectacular*, real sweeties who hustle (and I probably should have sent in letters of commendation for them). Another crew is sort of professional but uninterested. A third is brusque (but not to the "I'd report them to their bosses" stage).

On the California Zephyr, the dining car service has ranged from absolutely brilliant (a really old fellow -- when I asked him for extra water he brought it immediately) to moderately bad (I was spending so long waiting for my water to be refilled that I was certainly delaying the next sitting and probably the sitting after that, but the waitress was paying no attention.)

I have noticed that dining crews seem to stick together -- you'll get the same entire group at one time, usually.

The variability is just like it is with sleeper attendants; I've had the same absolutely spectacular one (bad with names again :blush: ) on the California Zephyr three times, giving her ever-larger tips each time. On the LSL, I can remember two excellent, one unforgivably absent and unreachable (he didn't get tipped), and one obvious newbie (doing his best but not on top of things).

I suppose it is best to report both the really bad and the really excellent to Amtrak.
There is a lot of truth in your statement about crews sticking together. Good crews know who share their work values and tend to bid/stick with one another to make it a lot less stressful 6 month bid that you will be spending together. Unfortunately, there is usually a crew or two with the "leftovers" that most others prefer not to work with. This tends to make the less than satisfactory crews stand out more as well.

Considering the recent experiences had aboard another route, and the result that came of informing Amtrak management, I can recommend forwarding any concerns and issues you have to Customer Relations through a phone call. Be courteous and polite, and have information available (your reservation #, train data, names of crew members involved.) Any time I've had need to get in touch with Customer Relations, it has either been to fully endorse an employee or to inform on a particular issue with crew or equipment while also pointing out positive aspects.

I also follow up with a letter to the respective management and/or crew base.

I've only had to forward bad information twice with Amtrak, and both times there was action taken. There are about a dozen times where I've called or written to point out the good things! If you told me that Amtrak had a file or database on customers who contact them over time, I would not be surprised. Hopefully the rest of your trip, if not completed yet, is enjoyable! Looking forward to getting aboard #11 on Thursday morning for my trip home!

Things did improve... Fortunately I had the other waiter for breakfast and dinner and he was very nice.

The LSA annoys me witht the hoodie and long list of rules (each announcement got longer), but honestly I wouldn't have made a big deal about her. It's the waiter who is just down right rude and not cut out for a customer service position.

I'll see how I word my official complaint... I want to mention the LSA, but it's really the waiter that was the main issue.

I hope you're not talking about my favorite waiter on the CS. I don't know his name, but I think he is very entertaining. Yes, sometimes he is a bit abrasive and needs to tone it down. But sarcasm is his specialty, and I love sarcasm! Everytime he has tried it on me, I just laugh and give it right back, and he loves it. (As an identifier, does he hold meal tickets very close to his eyes, as if he is extremely near sighted?)

Also, Toni is fantastic! Ask her if she remembers a trip last summer where some fellow "abused" the ice by putting his grubby hands in it before the train ever left Seattle! My granddaughter and I reported it to her and were rewarded by being witness to the most entertaining and memorable announcement ever blasted from the intercom!

I didn't think people from Cali could be rude though? Haha. Does LA also staff Sunset?
We've been on the Starlight four times and have never had a bad moment with any of the OBS crews, Just our data point.

BTW, while I know it has come into currency, as a native Californian I still object the "Cali" abbreviation as much as San Franciscans object to "Frisco". I personally don't like the sound and it seems slightly rude to me.

Thanks

I would have had every meal in the parlour car... But it's a Sightseer Lounge substitute. But yes, I had lunch today in the Parlour/sightseer and was quite a nicer experience.
I thought they always used a CCC for Parlour substitutions. How does the Parlour car attendant cook the food in a Sightseer Lounge? There is no kitchen downstairs like in the CCC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back