Where do you plan to be on NTD (5/12/12)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it might be a little early to ask this question, but I'd like to book while fares are low... What times are my :wub: 'fellow foamers' :wub: arriving and departing PHL for NTD? I'm looking at an 11:16 arrival and a 6:30 departure... I'm thinking these should be good, but since I rode METRO last year, I didn't pay close attention to times... :blush:

Thanks for any input! :hi:

Davy

Davy,

I think your arrival time is just fine. We'd probably look to get tickets for the displays at 12 or 12:30 PM.

Your departure might be a bit late, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to be certain just in case things run late.

Davy,

I think your arrival time is just fine. We'd probably look to get tickets for the displays at 12 or 12:30 PM.

Your departure might be a bit late, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to be certain just in case things run late.
Thanks Alan! :cool:

Update:

5/12/12 #164 WAS-PHL

5/12/12 #159 PHL-WAS

Last edited by a moderator:
Washington, DC is my plan because it is looking to be an Anime USA Staff meeting day. The plan is to do as much as I can before having to make Metro out to VA for the meeting. It will be nice to see that station on NTD.

Washington, DC is my plan because it is looking to be an Anime USA Staff meeting day. The plan is to do as much as I can before having to make Metro out to VA for the meeting. It will be nice to see that station on NTD.
You might want to make sure there is something going on at WAS for NTD. The 40th Anniv. Train is scheduled to return to WAS about then, but so far there is nothing on the 40th Anniv. website about it being open to the public, and the press release for NTD does not name WAS as having anything happening.

Davy,

Update:

5/12/12 #164 WAS-PHL

5/12/12 #159 PHL-WAS
Glad to get an idea on the timing. I can save some sleep and money by taking #164 to PHL from RVR. I was thinking of taking #98 up with a 4:30 AM departure. I'll be taking #87 back, 4:33 departure.

Davy,

Update:

5/12/12 #164 WAS-PHL

5/12/12 #159 PHL-WAS
Glad to get an idea on the timing. I can save some sleep and money by taking #164 to PHL from RVR. I was thinking of taking #98 up with a 4:30 AM departure. I'll be taking #87 back, 4:33 departure.
Great. It would be good to have some company. I'll send you a PM with my cell # and we can try to meet up. Or as Golden Girl and The Scientist suggested, one of us could whistle or hum the tune to a particular song. :lol:

Diagrua: I live in Morris County, we should get together some time for some knife throwing Kung fu or maybe just get a beer or something!
Come to NTD at PHL and say hello. Despite my high energy hobbies (which also include Firearms)don't be intimidated. I am a peaceful non-violent, friendly and cordial middle age person. My friends list is composed of both misguided liberals and misguided conservatives from just about every background. Its seldom that I dislike anyone that I meet.

As for my prior comment on rail from So NJ to PHL I should have known that the line was PATCO not SEPTA.

Davy,

Update:

5/12/12 #164 WAS-PHL

5/12/12 #159 PHL-WAS
Great. It would be good to have some company. I'll send you a PM with my cell # and we can try to meet up. Or as Golden Girl and The Scientist suggested, one of us could whistle or hum the tune to a particular song. :lol:
How bout whitsling "I've been working on the Railroad." I'll await your PM. I'm 90% a go, I'll save you a seat. The train is near empty from RVR to WAS.

PHL for me. I took the trip to WAS last year for the 40th anniversary equipment. At the 2009 NTD event, I managed an hour at PHL before taking the Regional and catching the end of the day at WAS. But with a long train trip right after Mother's Day in NY, I plan to go local.

I just noticed this on the NTD site:

Enjoy exciting interactive events in the nation's most iconic train stations:

• New York City Grand Central Terminal
Bew York's NTD WILL NOT be at NYP - but NYG instead! I haven't been to NYG in years - I'm thinking of maybe changiing sites!

I just noticed this on the NTD site:

Enjoy exciting interactive events in the nation's most iconic train stations:

• New York City Grand Central Terminal
Bew York's NTD WILL NOT be at NYP - but NYG instead! I haven't been to NYG in years - I'm thinking of maybe changiing sites!
If you go to New York, does that mean you will be standing me up in PHL?

Will you still be taking 97 south?

Well Penny, you stood me up in WAS last NTD, arriving the day after! I had to stay overnight in DC! (And the Penthouse Suite was booked at ever hotel, so I was forced to stay in a regular room!
ohmy.gif
)

As posted on another thread, the 40th Anniversary Train will be at Grand Central Terminal in New York on NTD. So I am changing over from Philly to Grand Central. However, there is no way I can find to change my vote.

As posted on another thread, the 40th Anniversary Train will be at Grand Central Terminal in New York on NTD. So I am changing over from Philly to Grand Central. However, there is no way I can find to change my vote.
I know the feeling. Things have evolved since the poll was first posted. I voted for Washington, but after realizing WAS seemed low key this year, I decided to go to PHL. New York City is not even on the list. Is it time for a new poll?

I'm currently stationed overseas in Turkey. I'll be on the Turkish national TCDD train from Adana, Turkey to Mersin, Turkey. One hour train ride for $2.50 I spend two hours (RT) on the train for five bucks.

I'm currently stationed overseas in Turkey. I'll be on the Turkish national TCDD train from Adana, Turkey to Mersin, Turkey. One hour train ride for $2.50 I spend two hours (RT) on the train for five bucks.
How do the trains in Turkey compare to Amtrak trains?

I have been on trains in France, Germany, England, Sweden

Denmark, Austria, Czech Republic & Hungary and I didn't notice

much difference from the Amtrak fleet.

Welcome to AU.

For those planning on WAS, this is from the NTD website:

*For all those trainiacs who are wondering why we won't be in Washington, DC Union Station this year, the station is undergoing an extensive restoration effort to repair ceiling damage caused by last fall's earthquake, which is why we are unable to host an event there. We invite you to join us at the Philadelphia event and to keep checking other city locations in April.

That makes sense, I was just through there and the place is still a mess - there's a large amount of construction activity in the Great Hall and in the area between the Great Hall and the Amtrak ticket counters (surrounding the stairs down to the food court).

NTD is two days after we get back on the Autotrain but I am still planning on going to the one at PHL. What is surprising is that Amtrak is not giving out preregistered admission tickets for the train exhibits this year. There is also only a general description of the exhibits listed on the NTD website and no specifics. As the date gets closer, hopefully this will change.

What is surprising is that Amtrak is not giving out preregistered admission tickets for the train exhibits this year.
What's surprising about it? Last year the admission tickets didn't seem to serve any purpose whatsoever, mainly because the Amtrak staff simply ignored them altogether. Or at least that's how it worked when we were at WAS.

What is surprising is that Amtrak is not giving out preregistered admission tickets for the train exhibits this year.
What's surprising about it? Last year the admission tickets didn't seem to serve any purpose whatsoever, mainly because the Amtrak staff simply ignored them altogether. Or at least that's how it worked when we were at WAS.
Agreed!
mad.gif

Even if you had timed reservations for (say) noon, and you tried to get in line at 11:45, you had to go to the end of the general line until it progressed far enough that you came to the point where it separated to "those with timed tickets" and "those without timed tickets". Beyond that, there were 2 lines!

The thing is both lines moved at the same speed!
blink.gif
So what was the point of timed tickets in WAS last year?
huh.gif

We had to move our scheduled lunch get together twice, and still missed part of the exhibits!
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back