Where do you plan to be on NTD (5/12/12)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to go to Chicago for this, but the thought of huge crowds terrifies me.
blush.gif

As of this afternoon, PHL, totally unrelated reasons though. Arriving via US Airways/SEPTA and likely leaving on the westbound Pennsylvanian. Plans subject to change based on bonus point opportunities and exhibition wow.

I will be at home lamenting the fact that, while NTD is on one of my days off, there is nothing planned here locally, and what there is planned here in Washington is all on the west side of the state. And none of those activies are worth the time and money to attend.

Last edited by a moderator:
So are there any historic trains that appear on NTD? Maybe some steam? :giggle:
It is common to find trains of a historical significance open for visitation and self guided tour on National Train Day. Some private railroad cars usually make an appearance as well. If you go to the NTD website you can see a list of what came out in 2011. As far as I know there are never any steam engines at NTD as the events are held inside large passenger terminals and there would be no way to deal with the locomotive chimney smoke and the potential fire hazard.

This is the roster of what was in PHL last May.

EASTERN LONG DISTANCE

Viewliner Sleeper

Heritage Diner

Amfleet II Coaches

Amfleet II cafe Lounge

NORTHEAST REGIONAL

Amfleet Club Dinette

Wrapped “Looney Tunes” NEC Coach car

COMMUTER RAIL

SEPTA – Locomotive and car on their own tracks

New Jersey Transit – Locomotive and car

FREIGHT RAIL

Juniata Terminal SW1500 locomotive 9275 (historic)

HISTORIC CARS

RR cars for private rentals and charters

Golden Tower – Lounge (Club) car

Mount Vernon – Sleeper Lounge car

NYC38 – Lounge car

Braddock Inn – Lounge car

Ohio River – Business car

What will be displayed this year has not been announced. There are also tons of activities throughout the day like chefs cooking demonstrations, musical groups and special displays. Go to a NTD event and see. You'll like it.

I will definitely have to visit! That is alot more trains than I thought would show up, time to bribe my GF and convince her to come!

I posted this on the thread about the disposal of the 40th Anniversary train, but it is actually more appropriate here:

Any ideas on what it [the 40th Aniv. Train] will do in DC? If you look at Amtrak's news release for NTD - 2012 http://www.amtrak.co...l_Train_Day.pdf DC is not specifically mentioned as celebrating NTD. NYP, PHL, CHI and LAX are listed, but not WAS. Now it does say "...and other communities throughout the nation." - whatever that means.
Was NTD such a disaster in WAS last year that they decided not to do it this year? Did the members from here, that were at that mini-gathering at NTD - 2011, play a part in this? :unsure: :giggle:

I posted this on the thread about the disposal of the 40th Anniversary train, but it is actually more appropriate here:

Any ideas on what it [the 40th Aniv. Train] will do in DC? If you look at Amtrak's news release for NTD - 2012 http://www.amtrak.co...l_Train_Day.pdf DC is not specifically mentioned as celebrating NTD. NYP, PHL, CHI and LAX are listed, but not WAS. Now it does say "...and other communities throughout the nation." - whatever that means.
Was NTD such a disaster in WAS last year that they decided not to do it this year? Did the members from here, that were at that mini-gathering at NTD - 2011, play a part in this? :unsure: :giggle:
If there is going to be an event at NYP that's going to be hell. It's already a busy station and packed during the day. Just imagine it during NTD. That is a terrible idea. WAS would be a little more organized. :eek:hboy:

If there is going to be an event at NYP that's going to be hell. It's already a busy station and packed during the day. Just imagine it during NTD. That is a terrible idea. WAS would be a little more organized. :eek:hboy:
NY has already hosted an NTD event, granted it was the first year that they started doing NTD's, so attendance was low. I got to see the Harlem Globe Trotter's up close that day, as they did a demo right in the rotunda area. Sadly they had no equipment on display, but there were a few things to do.

NYP actually in some sense has more room for the crowds than does DC. DC as you know & saw, could not properly handle the crowds last year. Mind you Amtrak also didn't plan things out very well and setup the line in the wrong place.

NY has already hosted an NTD event, granted it was the first year that they started doing NTD's, so attendance was low. I got to see the Harlem Globe Trotter's up close that day, as they did a demo right in the rotunda area. Sadly they had no equipment on display, but there were a few things to do.

NYP actually in some sense has more room for the crowds than does DC. DC as you know & saw, could not properly handle the crowds last year. Mind you Amtrak also didn't plan things out very well and setup the line in the wrong place.
DC was very poor with the crowd control. I think if NYP turns out to be a big event like WAS, PHL, LAX, and CHI then there could be some issues. I think at NYP you can rule out displays of equipment since they need every single track available there. Unless they could spare two tracks. We can rule out everything but what 1 through 4? Those are really the only tracks that could handle it. Am I correct by saying that? 5 and 6 is one of the only platforms long enough to handle the LSL IIRC that it can use, and the rest would be handling trains to BOS and trains terminating there and running through to Sunnyside. Time will tell. I think NYP deserves some NTD events. They always are out of the spotlight on NTD.

I think at NYP you can rule out displays of equipment since they need every single track available there. Unless they could spare two tracks. We can rule out everything but what 1 through 4? Those are really the only tracks that could handle it. Am I correct by saying that? 5 and 6 is one of the only platforms long enough to handle the LSL IIRC that it can use, and the rest would be handling trains to BOS and trains terminating there and running through to Sunnyside.
On a weekday, yes. On the weekend they could spare a track or two if need be. Not sure that they'll want to, but they could.

I think I can manage a spin from NJ down to PHL for NTD. Is there a train that goes there? :giggle:
For Central Jersey- NJ Transit South(on the NEC) to the Trenton station. There you can pick up a SETPA train that takes you into PHL 30th st station.

If you are coming from the Hightstown/Princeton area, drive 295/95S to the West Trenton or Yardly PA exit for those stations. (both about a 10 minute drive apart)and take the West Trenton SEPTA Line to 30th street station.

If you live in So Jersey the SEPTA line that goes through Haddonfield will take you there.

I think I can manage a spin from NJ down to PHL for NTD. Is there a train that goes there? :giggle:
...If you live in So Jersey the SEPTA line that goes through Haddonfield will take you there.
SEPTA in Haddonfield? I don't think so. Maybe you mean the PATCO (Delaware River Port Authority) High Speed Line?

By the way, I think reefgeek was making a little joke by asking if there is a train from Newark to Philadelphia.

So are there any historic trains that appear on NTD? Maybe some steam?
Santa Fe 3751 will be at LAUS on NTD.
Is this confirmed??
Barring some unforeseen unfortunate development, yes. Following its appearance at Train Day L.A. 2012 the locomotive will depart from LAUS as it embarks on an excursion: The Grand Canyon Limited.

EDIT: Excerpt from 3751 organization's newsletter, 2-17-12: "...on May 12, 2012 locomotive 3751 will particpate in National Train Day at Los Angeles Union Station prior to its departure on Monday morning for Parker, Arizona. The engine will be part of the displays and the crew will be out selling merchandise. Don't forget to stop by and be sure to buy a shirt and hat too."

858270605_cv88U-L.jpg

Santa Fe No. 3751 at LAUS on 5-1-10.

PRR 60 said:
1329444572[/url]' post='347863']
dlagrua said:
1329443983[/url]' post='347860']
reefgeek said:
1328893741[/url]' post='346266']I think I can manage a spin from NJ down to PHL for NTD. Is there a train that goes there? :giggle:
...If you live in So Jersey the SEPTA line that goes through Haddonfield will take you there.
SEPTA in Haddonfield? I don't think so. Maybe you mean the PATCO (Delaware River Port Authority) High Speed Line?

By the way, I think reefgeek was making a little joke by asking if there is a train from Newark to Philadelphia.
You are correct, sir. Very little.

Diagrua: I live in Morris County, we should get together some time for some knife throwing Kung fu or maybe just get a beer or something!

PRR 60 said:
1329444572[/url]' post='347863']
dlagrua said:
1329443983[/url]' post='347860']
reefgeek said:
1328893741[/url]' post='346266']I think I can manage a spin from NJ down to PHL for NTD. Is there a train that goes there? :giggle:

You are correct, sir. Very little.

Diagrua: I live in Morris County, we should get together some time for some knife throwing Kung fu or maybe just get a beer or something!
Let me know. I also live in Morris County!!

Anyone plan on doing points runs on NTD?? Whether it be on the Keystone corridor or NEC I can try to catch up with someone doing a point run. But you'll have a better shot after 5PM. More towards 6 as I should get out of Fire School around 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back