Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most people in the US don't even learn what countries there are in the world, let alone subnational units of other countries. In 1992 I was the only person in my school (including the teachers) who knew anything about Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, and Tajikistan.

I had to get out a globe and point to the countries on it. For my *history teachers*. (Central Asia actually plays a crucial role in all of European and Asian history, so I found this exceptionally pathetic.) Then I had to give them the ten-minute spiel about the steppe and oasis cultures. :sigh:

(Ever wondered why I have a healthy disrespect for credentials?)
Were your history teachers also coaches? That was the usual practice in Texas back in the day. The Kyrgyzstan team was never even in a bowl game.

I once said to my tenth grade history teacher. Joseph "Red Scare" McCarthy was a Senator from Wisconsin right? He shrugged his shoulders, no clue. I was right. He had no idea. We did have a few history teachers who were only history teachers, we also had a few who were coaches who really knew history.

Nick

When I was in Nepal, every other kid would be pestering you for pens and/or asking what country and state or province you were from. As soon as you told them your home state or province, they would immediately, correctly, name the capital. Since they didn't have a lot of materials, their teachers emphasized memorizing geographical features and capitals.
I hope they didn't think the capital of Kentucky was edible!
default_mosking.gif

Can someone please point me to a forum on railroading? I seem to have stumbled on a geography forum.... :)
Not saying this the appropriate place, but apparently not everyone finds geography boring. Come to think it's not that odd that passenger rail fans and interest in geography go together.

I'm embarrassed to admit that one of my childhood hobbies was plotting rail lines found in the Official Railway Guide on highways maps. And that was at a time when the Guide was about 3 inches thick.
default_sad.png

Can someone please point me to a forum on railroading? I seem to have stumbled on a geography forum.... :)
Not saying this the appropriate place, but apparently not everyone finds geography boring. Come to think it's not that odd that passenger rail fans and interest in geography go together.

I'm embarrassed to admit that one of my childhood hobbies was plotting rail lines found in the Official Railway Guide on highways maps. And that was at a time when the Guide was about 3 inches thick.
default_sad.png
Nothing at all to be embarrassed about! It's refreshing to find people that know geography well, without reverting to GPS and the like....

default_sad.png
Nothing at all to be embarrassed about! It's refreshing to find people that know geography well, without reverting to GPS and the like....
Oh don't get me wrong. I love geography. I even love geography when related to trains. This seems a bit far afield here though. Just me.

default_sad.png
I learned U.S. geography very much from the Amtrak National Timetable; Major cities, capitols, distances between regions, etc. Sadly, with the demise of said (printed) timetable, future generations will not have such a pleasure.

We are on the 97 now with the Annapolis in the consist. Had Hartford on the 98 going north.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Any idea when the V-II sleepers will start being delivered? The V-Is are getting a little long in the tooth. Though 19's car 1910 obviously had just come out of Wilmington shops for its run on 11/28-29/17. Everything worked, even the roomette curtains, and the trucks were still glossy black with no dust, dirt, or grime to be seen anywhere.

Any idea when the V-II sleepers will start being delivered? The V-Is are getting a little long in the tooth. Though 19's car 1910 obviously had just come out of Wilmington shops for its run on 11/28-29/17. Everything worked, even the roomette curtains, and the trucks were still glossy black with no dust, dirt, or grime to be seen anywhere.
Probably not until at least 2019.

BTW, Wilmington shops is for the electric engines.

Bear shops is for the NEC coaches.

VI's are taken care of at Hialeah.

VI's are taken care of at Hialeah.
Thanks, didn't remember the function of the three shops, if I ever knew.
default_wacko.png

2019 explains spending the money to rehab V-Is.

VI's are taken care of at Hialeah.A
default_wacko.png

Are any repairs done any more at Sunnyside? At one time it was a pretty major repair facility...not sure anymore.....

VI's are taken care of at Hialeah.A
default_wacko.png

Are any repairs done any more at Sunnyside? At one time it was a pretty major repair facility...not sure anymore.....
Running repairs, no major overhauls....

Are Jackson and Lansing in service yet? I'm taking #98 on Wednesday (1/3) and would be cool to have a two-week-old diner.

P.S. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on the 98 & 97 last week and had the Hartford and Charleston going and coming back.

Happy New Year also!

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
The VII sleepers are not replacing the VI sleepers, just augmenting them.
Is there a need for an additional 25 Viewliner sleepers, considering the original order was for 50?

(not being snarky - being ignorant)
I'd say for one thing, there probably aren't enough VI's to cover all the trains while they take some out for refurbishing.

The original intent of the order of VI cars was 100 sleepers, as well as a bunch of diners, coaches, lounges, baggage cars, and i think bag-dorms. The eventual fifty car order crippled the fleet, resulted in several train offs (Broadway, Montrealler, Niagara Rainbow) as well as the removal of sleepers from the Night Owl and truncation of the Silver Palm. So yes, very needed.

Back