Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO 25 additional sleepers is not enough. The present bookings on Silver trains seems to indicate both could use up to 8 cars as sleepers. Also one or two 48 seat BC cars as well.

To restore the listed trains would probably take in addition to the present CAF order would be 50 additional sleepers, same number of 48 seat BC cars and 124 - 140 additional single level coaches.

WE can figure about 25 cars to add one car to each of the single level trains. That include maintenance reserves higher during slack periods. BTW there may not be a slack season after New Years day due the snowbirds fleeing the northern states ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont disagree. I was just making the point they are needed. However, the VII ship has sailed- I am quite certain that on completion of the original order, CAF will burn the facility and then salt the earth before retreating permanently across the ocean, never to bid on an American contract again.

If we do see new LD equipment beyond the already ordered V2s, they certainly wont be built by CAF, and will almost certainly be an off the shelf design- as the VII order should have been to begin with.

I dont disagree. I was just making the point they are needed. However, the VII ship has sailed- I am quite certain that on completion of the original order, CAF will burn the facility and then salt the earth before retreating permanently across the ocean, never to bid on an American contract again.

If we do see new LD equipment beyond the already ordered V2s, they certainly wont be built by CAF, and will almost certainly be an off the shelf design- as the VII order should have been to begin with.
While CAF may not bid on any more main line railroad cars, they are already quite entrenched in the US in the Light Rail market, which is also served out of the same plant. So no, they are not going anywhere. They are here to stay.

One car to each current single level LD set would be 17 cars, and of course maint cycles have to be figured. V1 could be protect for either so that doesn't change much. The intangibles, about which all we do is speculate involve deployment of the bag/dorms, any potential through sleeper from the Penn or conversion of a SL train like CL or CONO. Time will tell......

On #98 now. I just finished breakfast in Hartford. This is my second time in a V-II (the first being Atlanta), and indeed its a very nice car.

How was the food, and the service ?
I got the pancake trio, which was nice and fluffy. I boarded at Delray Beach, and the train was 17 min late (9:39 instead of 9:22), and had to rush straight to the dining car to get seated. Because of that, half the tables were empty, and we didnt need for someone to take our order. I just got the 1:00 lunch reservation, so hopefully this V-II makes a good black bean and corn veggie burger.

It has been good in the past by most accounts, hopefully still so.....
I would expect so. As I’ve said, I took ‘Atlanta’ in June, and didn’t have any complaints, so why would there be with ‘Hartford’

My main focus now is on the LSL’s diner, given I’m riding #48 in exactly six weeks.

New Year's resolution that I would try to express myself in a "friendlier" manner on line since it is so easy to be misinterpreted (like when you roll your eyes while saying something, which of course no on can see on line)

A week ago I was in the Hartford and Johnny was our server. He was really good, extremely friendly and fun. Really added to the diner experience.

I learned from my SCA Alan, that Johnny was a new employee and had just finished his training the previous week.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

A week ago I was in the Hartford and Johnny was our server. He was really good, extremely friendly and fun. Really added to the diner experience.

I learned from my SCA Alan, that Johnny was a new employee and had just finished his training the previous week.

Back in June, my SCA on #97's name was Johnny. He was fantastic. Was your Johnny new to Amtrak altogether (vs merely being new as a server)?

Just got back from lunch. (Sorry to monopolize this thread)

My notes:

• My veggie burger was great, as always.
  • My dad really liked his mussels. Shockingly, we can actually say that AMTRAK is good at cooking mussels.
  • My chocolate raspberry tart was very good, though the raspberry goo on top was a tad too sweet for me
  • My dad LOVED his 'southern pecan tart'
Overall...

Nice job, Amtrak.

Here are pics of the mussels and the raspberry chocolate tart:

https://ibb.co/kjBZUw

https://ibb.co/hwNf2G

Re: Johnny - my understanding is that he was new to Amtrak.

Re: Mussels - They’re very good. Nice big tender ones. The broth is good but I always borrow a little of my wife’s Chardonnay and add it. Super good. I highly recommend them.

My notes:

• My veggie burger was great, as always.
  • My dad really liked his mussels. Shockingly, we can actually say that AMTRAK is good at cooking mussels.
  • My chocolate raspberry tart was very good, though the raspberry goo on top was a tad too sweet for me
  • My dad LOVED his 'southern pecan tart'
Overall...Nice job, Amtrak.
Very impress with the food. Happy to see someone is put effort into the meals.

This isn't strictly related to Viewliners, but P42 #42 (Veterans) is leading this train. Definitely a nice color scheme.

I’ve seen videos of the new Viewliner 2 Dining cars. The booths look roomier than what I’ve seen in the cafes/lounges. Is this so? Also, what are the chances I will get one of these new diners on 98 in March?

MODERATOR NOTE: this post started a new thread on the topic of Viewliner Diners. The new thread was merged with the existing thread on the same topic.

I’ve seen videos of the new Viewliner 2 Dining cars. The booths look roomier than what I’ve seen in the cafes/lounges. Is this so? Also, what are the chances I will get one of these new diners on 98 in March?

MODERATOR NOTE: this post started a new thread on the topic of Viewliner Diners. The new thread was merged with the existing thread on the same topic.
I'd say your chances of getting a VII on 98 is highly probable. 97 & 98 are the trains that break in the newest diners.

I don’t see any normal situation where you would end up with a Heritage (vs a V-II). No Heritages are left and the number of V-IIs will only increase. Several Viewliners would have to have been taken out of service for you to not get one.

We cannot count out Amtrak exercising the CAF option. Of course the contract option has some kind of expiration point. Maybe calendar point. More likely the expiration point is somewhere at a delivery quantity. Maybe when all diners and Bag dorm are delivered might be the point or maybe after 100 are considered fully operational ?

Believe if Amtrak can exercise the option that cars would cost less than Siemens ?

Back