Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What exactly is the model of trucks on the V-2s ? Is it the same as V-1s ?
GSI Horizon trucks, VL IIs have the same trucks as VL Is, except for heftier springs on the trucks under the Baggage cars.
The speed difference has mostly to do with wheel profile and brake setup. And the Baggage Cars have heftier springs that are colored Red.

And of course there is a big C stamped on the truck components for "Columbus", instead of the traditional B for "Buckeye". I don't know what is stamped on the post-Columbus parts. Or whether any such are used in any of the VL IIs. My understanding is that all the castings for the trucks for the VL II order were delivered before Columbus went under. Post Columbus castings for the same GSI trucks came out as a fix for problems they had in the Silverliner V order AFAIR. I don't know if any of those castings were ever used in any VL II GSI trucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today (Dec 12) 68014 (Jackson) and 68015 (Lansing) were picked up by NS Special train #975 at Elmira Heights, NY. They are scheduled to move on SILVER METEOR #97 to Miami for prepping, probably leaving NY on the 13th.

Andy

twropr
Train Attendant

• Training
  • bullet_black.png
  • 17 posts

Posted Today, 11:35 AM

Today (Dec 12) 68014 (Jackson) and 68015 (Lansing) were picked up by NS Special train #975 at Elmira Heights, NY. They are scheduled to move on SILVER METEOR #97 to Miami for prepping, probably leaving NY on the 13th.

Andy

-----------------------------------------------

Andy, I have reposted your good news to this thread. The other thread is supposed to be a running total, not the spot for news flashes. LOL. But this is such good news it doesn't hurt to post it twice! Thanks for the details.

------------------------------------------------

Is it just me, or does CAF seem to be getting a little speed up, with shorter intervals between deliveries? Nah, that would be too good to be true.

There will probably be a break between that and the ten bag-dorms... which is going to take us into 2019 before we see the sleepers...

Income lost due to CAF's screwups because Viewliners are profitable...

Not only that, but if my aunt had wheels, shed be a tea cart. Actually, DPA likes to say a bus, but I think that comes from the fact that a bus is semi-synonymous with tea cart, hence bussing tables and busboys.

They are scheduled to move on SILVER METEOR #97 to Miami for prepping, probably leaving NY on the 13th.

Andy

Ummm...probably not since 97(13) was scheduled to operate with 5 private cars. I hope no one was not out there looking for them since they were "probably" scheduled to hold a day and leave on the 14th.

Oh, come on, the Silver Meteor can handle its 10 usual cars, 1 seasonal car, 5 private cars and two deadheading cars. :) Nice flat route, really long platforms, what's the problem? We need more 18-car trains running. :)

They are scheduled to move on SILVER METEOR #97 to Miami for prepping, probably leaving NY on the 13th.

Andy
Ummm...probably not since 97(13) was scheduled to operate with 5 private cars. I hope no one was not out there looking for them since they were "probably" scheduled to hold a day and leave on the 14th.
Even if I was I’d gladly take 5 PV’s over crappy diners.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I am on NER #176 right now, and leaving WAS I saw Baton Rouge waiting to depart on the Crescent 20(13) on track 25, right next to ours. It was 1' 43" down leaving WAS. I got *some* video, but it's probably not all that good, as it wasn't on the same platform. The inside looked nice from what I could see trying to shoot from a grimy Amfleet I coach window!
default_mosking.gif

Heritage 8505 was on 20(8) which I saw arrive into Washington Union Station on the 9th. So we are still not at all VL II + 8400 always state.

97(9) had 8400 BTW. I was on that train.
8505 still on 20 arriving NYP yesterday...
I'm sure it makes sense, if we knew the logic, but it seems odd to use a Heritage in revenue service and have 2 VL2's in protect status.

If the Heritage was a protect car, and was swapped for a VL, it would be in revenue service. Depending on the reason why the VL was swapped out, and where service is performed, it might be the protect car for a while.

The logic I am sure is pretty straightforward - make sure that there is a serviceable Diner on each train that is supposed to have a Diner. If all that is available is a Heritage one that is serviceable, so be it. No pint in gratuitously swapping out a serviceable Diner once it is in circulation in a consist.

Back