Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have they been delivered? The 'Just the facts' thread says there's a video of them out in the wild today.
That video is probably them leaving CAF on their way to Sunnyside. They should be on 97(18)Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
They go to Sunnyside? I thought first stop is Hialeah?
Where do you think they get attached to 97?Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
Fair enough.

Saw 3 VL2 diners sitting in WAS tacked on to the end of 97 (18)
So I guess they should reach HIA (is that the right code?) tomorrow. They should be finished by May 20th if everything goes well.
Wow. If your able to give us an exact date when these three will be released to revenue service can you tell us the exact day the sleepers and bag dorms are entering revenue service?

So I guess they should reach HIA (is that the right code?) tomorrow. They should be finished by May 20th if everything goes well.
Wow. If your able to give us an exact date when these three will be released to revenue service can you tell us the exact day the sleepers and bag dorms are entering revenue service?
I didn't give an exact date. The cars have generally been spending about a month in Hialeah before completion. There's a difference between "By May 20th" and "On May 20". If the cars take as long as they usually do, I'd expect them to be finished by then. That's all.

I didn't give an exact date. The cars have generally been spending about a month in Hialeah before completion. There's a difference between "By May 20th" and "On May 20". If the cars take as long as they usually do, I'd expect them to be finished by then. That's all.
There's also a difference between facts and opinions. So what factual production schedule and open modification list are you basing your by May 20 opionion on? And as you say, thats if everything goes well. What if things dont go well? Anyways Im glad you are confident in the gals and guys of Hialeah.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's also a difference between facts and opinions. So what factual production schedule and open modification list are you basing your by May 20 opionion on? And as you say, thats if everything goes well. What if things dont go well? Anyways Im glad you are confident in the gals and guys of Hialeah.
I really don't want to argue here and I hope my posts aren't coming off as rude. There is nothing special about May 20th, other than that it is a little more than a month from now, and it generally takes about a month for the cars to complete. I'm not talking about any 'factual production schedules or open modification lists'.
It's like if you're going to the store and I ask you how long it will take. You tell me around 15 minutes if everything goes well. I ask you if you have any charts or math equations that prove that it takes 15 minutes to go to the store. You respond that you don't, but it just usually takes about 15 minutes.

That's all I'm saying - if it takes a normal amount of time for the cars to be finished, it think it would probably be before May 20.

I boarded 97 in WAS (as did Anderson) and took some photos of the diners while we were still in the station. I will attempt to post them..
attachicon.gif
3A75373B-573D-4A09-927C-600030032C6A.jpeg

attachicon.gif
B885861B-CEEC-4134-9261-057589D2E9F3.jpeg

attachicon.gif
0130D46B-502F-4D80-8F73-E89100B52961.jpeg

attachicon.gif
FB5E1EA3-E3C4-43CD-9AA6-2938D7B5F2B6.jpeg
I've got to hand it to CAF on one thing; those are some beautiful cars.

The Salmon is one of my favorite Amtrak meals. I’ve had good luck with it every time. And enjoy those baked potatoes while you can - not available diner lite! (All that expensive labor to stick them in the oven I guess).

Yes - that was sarcasm for all you Sheldon Coopers with broken sarcasm detectors...

I don't know if the yard has a separate code for employees, but the station code for the Miami station is MIA and it is actually in Hialeah right next to the yard.

The Salmon is one of my favorite Amtrak meals. I’ve had good luck with it every time. And enjoy those baked potatoes while you can - not available diner lite! (All that expensive labor to stick them in the oven I guess).

Yes - that was sarcasm for all you Sheldon Coopers with broken sarcasm detectors...
So far I've had 12 meals in V-II diners and I've loved the butternut squash risotto, sweet potato gnocchi, and buttermilk pancakes. In my experience the salmon has been good but not great.

Phase IIIb was supposed to be the Long Distance Fleet colors. So at least in theory even the Amfleet IIs should get that treatment, as should the Superliners. But then again Amtrak's motto is vive la différence!. So we shall see!

I boarded 97 in WAS (as did Anderson) and took some photos of the diners while we were still in the station. I will attempt to post them..

attachicon.gif
3A75373B-573D-4A09-927C-600030032C6A.jpeg

attachicon.gif
B885861B-CEEC-4134-9261-057589D2E9F3.jpeg

attachicon.gif
0130D46B-502F-4D80-8F73-E89100B52961.jpeg

attachicon.gif
FB5E1EA3-E3C4-43CD-9AA6-2938D7B5F2B6.jpeg
I've got to hand it to CAF on one thing; those are some beautiful cars.
Just so nice to see a matching Amtrak consist in car shape and colors!

I do believe the "old is new again" Phase III does look really good. Looks great from a distance and exceptional on the Genesis too!

Back