Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phase IIIb was supposed to be the Long Distance Fleet colors. So at least in theory even the Amfleet IIs should get that treatment, as should the Superliners. But then again Amtrak's motto is vive la différence!. So we shall see!
Isn't IIIb part of the whole 'Amtrak America' nonsense branding? In which case at minimum the LD Superliners (Trans-dorm, sleepers, diner, SSL) should get the repaint. But I imagine management is more preoccupied with starving their passengers than making the trains all pretty...

Looks like the LSL is getting the VII Diners but to be used as the Sleeping Car Lounge.since no more Dining Cars on LSL.
While I am skeptical of this new "fresh food program" thing and a part of me is sad that this is the direction things are going, using the VII as the lounge makes some sense. At least they're using the car and the fact that is fully equipped gives them a fallback plan if this new "fresh" thing doesn't work out. Using the VII would also provide the ability to provide a larger menu seasonally if there was ever an interest in that.

Looks like the LSL is getting the VII Diners but to be used as the Sleeping Car Lounge.since no more Dining Cars on LSL.
While I am skeptical of this new "fresh food program" thing and a part of me is sad that this is the direction things are going, using the VII as the lounge makes some sense. At least they're using the car and the fact that is fully equipped gives them a fallback plan if this new "fresh" thing doesn't work out. Using the VII would also provide the ability to provide a larger menu seasonally if there was ever an interest in that.
I second this. ViewDiners have comfortable booths, plenty of space, and plenty of Windows to enjoy the passing scenery. Out of all the cars to use as a Sleeper Lounge, these are a good choice.

Phase IIIb was supposed to be the Long Distance Fleet colors. So at least in theory even the Amfleet IIs should get that treatment, as should the Superliners. But then again Amtrak's motto is vive la différence!. So we shall see!
At this point, I would think they probably won't repaint anything other than the V1s especially since the Amfleet 2s are supposedly one of the next things to be replaced, and perhaps the Superliner 1s not far behind. So far the only cars to get repainted into IIIb were 8400 and 62043 and those were both 2 years ago. Although with the new Chargers getting the "Amtrak Midwest" lettering on them, it seems they're still moving forward with separating the different parts of Amtrak.

So is it time to rename that other thread to “Viewliner First Class Class Lounge Delivery - Just the Facts” ?
The phrase “First Class” has been formally removed from the Amtrak Sleeper service a long time back. So there is no point in gratuitously trying to reintroduce in the conversation.
The term being used is “Sleeper Lounge”.

First Class is still used on the menus.

Alcoholic beverages are available as an extra purchase and are not included in FIRST CLASS meal packages.

So is it time to rename that other thread to “Viewliner First Class Class Lounge Delivery - Just the Facts” ?
The phrase “First Class” has been formally removed from the Amtrak Sleeper service a long time back. So there is no point in gratuitously trying to reintroduce in the conversation.
There are some examples of Amtrak referring to sleepers as 'First Class'. One small example would be the sign that tells coach pax to stay out of the sleepers, which sometimes reads "First Class passengers only beyond this point".

So with three ViewDiners (turned Sleeper Lounges) going to the LSL, there will be a grand total of 11 in use. That still leaves nine spares (including 8400). Fingers crossed for the Cardinal.

There are some examples of Amtrak referring to sleepers as 'First Class'. One small example would be the sign that tells coach pax to stay out of the sleepers, which sometimes reads "First Class passengers only beyond this point".
Old habits and signage die hard [emoji57]

The official term is still “Sleeper Lounge” not “First Class Lounge”. The only "First Class” on Amtrak is on the Acelas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably the old signs remain until they are worn away or are replaced when the item it is attached to is replace or overhauled.
Where's my sharpie.
default_tongue.png

What are the possibilities that Amtrak stops the order for V2s with these diners, er, first-class lounges, and doesn't receive the dorms and sleepers? I am thinking about this with regards to Amtrak's coming order for single-level cars to replace the Amfleet Is (and Amfleet IIs?). The vision for them is to be unlike anything else Amtrak has ever had before. So I have to wonder if they will be DMUs and EMUs? And, if so, wouldn't the Lake Shore and Capitol -- the two shortest-distance long-distance trains in the system -- be potential candidates for this equipment? If these were equipped with tilt mechanisms, the Capitol and Lake Shore would be able to travel more quickly, possibly CHI-East Coast as day trains.

Probably not possible since the shells are almost definitely fabricated and the interior component modules contracted for (if not already built). Other component systems have probably also been signed for (like trucks, brakes, a/c units etc)

Peepers, cancelling the order at this point due to relatively recent developments would be pretty agile management. Amtrak and agile aren't two words I often think of together. Your thoughts on cancelling the remainder of the order are possible, due to CAF losing money on each of them, supposedly. But I just don't see it happening especially since the sleepers are the cars that will actually increase Amtraks revenue. But I think there are a lot of people on this site that know a lot more about this than I do.

JMHO.

Sleepers do produce revenues but they also produce operating costs well in excess of them. I recall seeing the breakdowns in operating costs and revenues per train-mile for a sleeping car from about 10 years ago and those operating ratios were pretty bad compared to coach.

Sleeping car customers will choose meals delivered to their Bedrooms or Roomettes or eaten in a private café or lounge car and entrees such as:

Why do so many people read that as the majority will all of a sudden eat in their room as opposed to a reminder that in room service is an option?

Sleeping car customers will choose meals delivered to their Bedrooms or Roomettes or eaten in a private café or lounge car and entrees such as:

Why do so many people read that as the majority will all of a sudden eat in their room as opposed to a reminder that in room service is an option?
Because reading comprehension took a nose dive when texting & internet became the norm.

Because the more reasonable interpretation does not jive with ones desire to blow steam about anything and everything?
default_wink.png
Why worry about possible ambiguities when one can choose ones favorite interpretation to make something that one does not like as bad as possible? of course that also does wonders to ones credibility, but so what?
default_sad.png

Back