Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they don't restore dining car service on the LSL, they are idiots of the first order.

However... remember the 20% shop count rule of thumb. Due to the required calendar-based inspections, even the protect cars need shop time. :p Although probably not the full 20%.

14 in service including #8400 + Montgomery = 15. Subtract shop count of 20%, you get 12. 8 for Crescent and Meteor service. For protection, 1 in Hileah, 1 in New Orleans, 2 in New York City. (I know Amtrak wanted two protects at NYC for a long time.)

If Amtrak wants (as it clearly does) to dispose of the Heritage cars immediately, dispose of all their spare parts, throw out their manuals,... and *never* have to substitute an Amfleet II cafe on the Crescent or Meteor... this is the minimum to be completely safe.

The LSL would require 3 additional cars, plus a protect at Chicago, plus shop count time for those, which really means 5 more cars. I am probably somewhat overestimating the shop counts, but I'd still guess we need at least two more cars from CAF after Montgomery before Amtrak will feel that they have enough dining cars, and likely 4 more.

I can wait for a diner on the LSL until as neroden suggests, they can completely eliminate ALL heritage diners. Let's make life easier.

Radar2.gif

default_ph34r.png

stock-photo-us-city-montpelier-road-sign-on-highway-525678253.jpg

37541188-nashville-usa-interstate-highway-road-sign.jpg

Mady and Monty have left the building.

Nick
Coming up on the one month anniversary of the release of Madison/Montgomery from CAF. We can probably expect them out of Hialeah in a few days.

Actually, Madison has been released and ready to go since the 9th. It just doesn't really have anywhere to go so it is protecting in HIA.
TR, Is it safe to say that Amtrak is releasing the diners in to protect service first and then placed on trains?
Not really. They just don't have anywhere to go if the sets are made up and deployed. It the one piece of equipment that is currently at a surplus.

Also, I think the 8400 is out of service.

Nick
It hasn't really been o/o/s for any prolonged period since its pm. It may skip a trip or two, but it is basically available. It's currently in the Crescent cycle.

Next week?

58.jpg

I have to admit that the number 58 getting rammed by what looks like a cub scout on a trike makes no sense to me. So I guess I can't even aspire to being "Captain Obvious".

Cool. Thanks for the heads up! I understood most of the hints over the past couple months, but that one flew right over my head. I thought it was May 8th at first, then I was fixated on the 3 wheels of the trike for a while, thinking it was 583. Regardless of my less than stellar discernment, it is good news to have 2 more diners 'en route', so to speak.

If you go back through the 1000 pages of TR's hints it makes sense, the 57th day of the year or 2/27/18

Cool. Thanks for the heads up! I understood most of the hints over the past couple months, but that one flew right over my head. I thought it was May 8th at first, then I was fixated on the 3 wheels of the trike for a while, thinking it was 583. Regardless of my less than stellar discernment, it is good news to have 2 more diners 'en route', so to speak.
If you go back through the 1000 pages of TR's hints it makes sense, the 57th day of the year or 2/27/18
[/quot

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Julian calendar dates are used in many computer programs. Then a sub routine can translate to / from standard dates. Makes it much easier to deal with the Feb 29th leap years.

I think it was the ‘little red dude‘ on the trike that threw some of us off. A bit of a red herring.

If Amtrak wanted to, at this point they could absolutely return the diner to the Lake Shore. Including 8400 and Monty, there are currently seven ViewDiner protects. With the LSL equipped, there would still be four. That’s a 36% margin - almost twice the standard of the past couple years. They could at minimum (as has been mentioned before) add V-IIs and keep the current menu. It would require very minimal crew training/prep, and would provide vastly better ambiance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back