Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amtrak was very unhappy with the low number of protects in the past couple of years. I do have to remind everyone of shop count. There are 16 ViewDiners in service, but due to shop counts (required inspections etc) that's really 13. 8 in use now, 3 on the LSL means 2 *reliable* protects.

Now, when they have Montpelier and Nashville in service they really will have no excuse and they should put the V-IIs on the LSL. And they absolutely need to restore the cooked-breakfast menu, which is much more attractive and just as cheap as the current yucky breakfast menu. (Breakfast is the most important meal on the LSL.)

Amtrak was very unhappy with the low number of protects in the past couple of years. I do have to remind everyone of shop count. There are 16 ViewDiners in service, but due to shop counts (required inspections etc) that's really 13. 8 in use now, 3 on the LSL means 2 *reliable* protects.

Now, when they have Montpelier and Nashville in service they really will have no excuse and they should put the V-IIs on the LSL. And they absolutely need to restore the cooked-breakfast menu, which is much more attractive and just as cheap as the current yucky breakfast menu. (Breakfast is the most important meal on the LSL.)
There are 15 ViewDiners, right? 68001, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 8400.

Do they really need to take three cars out of service for inspection at a time?

There are 15 ViewDiners, right? 68001, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 8400.

They are typically delivered in batches of two. There are various inspections and pm that occur every 92 days. Unless you can get ahead of it, you'll usually have 2 out very close to each other....and that assumes there are no shoppers, nothing gets damaged (debris strikes) and there aren't field mods still occurring with some of the cars....and I wouldn't assume that.

While none of the time consuming, major brake inspections and tests (unless something goes majorly wrong) will occur in the near future, the time it takes to complete the car is based upon how much manpower is available to commit to the operation.

So, I can see where 4 cars will be o/o/s in the near future if things line up just right.

They are typically delivered in batches of two. There are various inspections and pm that occur every 92 days. Unless you can get ahead of it, you'll usually have 2 out very close to each other....and that assumes there are no shoppers, nothing gets damaged (debris strikes) and there aren't field mods still occurring with some of the cars....and I wouldn't assume that.

While none of the time consuming, major brake inspections and tests (unless something goes majorly wrong) will occur in the near future, the time it takes to complete the car is based upon how much manpower is available to commit to the operation.

So, I can see where 4 cars will be o/o/s in the near future if things line up just right.
I see... [emoji20]

Discussion specific to the Lake Shore Limited Diner Lite experience has been moved to a new topic: Lake Shore Limited Diner Lite Discussion and Review

We will try to keep this topic related to discussion of the production and delivery of the new cars. That discussion can include speculation concerning the assignment of new diners to the Lake Shore Limited and restoration of full diner service, but specific reviews of the existing Diner Lite service and food quality should be a separate topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it seem like Amtrak will use 8400 anymore if they can help it? If memory serves, hasn't it been out of service for a while, with Amtrak favoring the V-II diners?

I'm sure they'll find a use for the 8400. They can always use it as a diner lite or lounge.
default_ph34r.png

Does it seem like Amtrak will use 8400 anymore if they can help it? If memory serves, hasn't it been out of service for a while, with Amtrak favoring the V-II diners?
Being used ten days ago on the Crescent certainly isnt out of service, nor is that a while.

Being used ten days ago on the Crescent certainly isnt out of service, nor is that a while.
I said 'if memory serves'. I guess it doesn't serve that well.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, just had 68013 Hartford on the Crescent 20(25). And I believe on 19(22) was 68006 Charleston.
They're really being shuffled around. Both of those have been on the Meteor within the past six weeks.
As new ones come on line they spend several weeks on 97/98 in case they need to go back to Hialeah or CAF.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Good point. By keeping the new ones on 97/98 they can be pulled out of service quickly and have a proven earlier car inserted. That may be the reason that we are not seeing the earlier ones on trains as much. Earlier units can become much needed spares until the later ones get all the bugs out.

BTW, just had 68013 Hartford on the Crescent 20(25). And I believe on 19(22) was 68006 Charleston.
They're really being shuffled around. Both of those have been on the Meteor within the past six weeks.
As new ones come on line they spend several weeks on 97/98 in case they need to go back to Hialeah or CAF.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
I get that, but it's seems to me like the diners are being shuffled around more than the rate of new cars entering service. Are there any other additional reasons for moving the cars around?

Are the Diners getting shuffled around any more than say the Sleepers or Coaches? Or is it just they we are completely focused on the Diners and therefore are noticing their shuffling more intensely? I don't know. Just wondering aloud.

Almost certainly the latter. Folks, it's pretty common for entire trainsets to be swapped out for other service. There's really nothing all that magical, other than the first few trips being on the Meteor for the reason mentioned above.

Almost certainly the latter. Folks, it's pretty common for entire trainsets to be swapped out for other service. There's really nothing all that magical, other than the first few trips being on the Meteor for the reason mentioned above.
I never said it was magical. I was just wondering about the reasons.

Back