Tracking the moderator

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And now welcome back for the second half of that game, Tracking the Moderator! As of 1 AM on Monday morning 5/26/03, there is no report on Amtrak's website as to how the Auto Train (#52) is doing. It does say that it departed from Sanford at 3:45 PM, which is 15 minutes early. As we know from Alan's southbound trip, an early departure does not automatically mean an early arrival! :( As it was for the previous trip, things may be a bit soggy. It's rained in the Northeast just about every day since Alan left on the 16th. CSX are you up to the task?

I checked Amtrak's website to see the progress of Alan's #52, which should have arrived in Lorton, VA 5 hours ago.

Things do not look good (unless you accent the positive and say that Alan is getting a lot more quality time on a train!), because the website shows no times other than the 3:45 Sanford departure, with this ominous note:

Due to a service disruption, we are unable to provide estimated times of departure and arrival. Please call 1-800-USA-RAIL for more information.
This is one train where they won't put people on a bus, because they all have vehicles aboard the train. They also have no facilities to offload the vehicles other than the terminals. So if there is a blockage, they either have to take a detour to get to Lorton, or if still in the south, return to Sanford.

I'm sure we'll hear all about it whenever Alan and his family make it home!

Bill Haithcoat said:
Seems Alan and his various family members got in about 10 this morning....not too bad. Hope the trip was enjoyed by all.
Bill, I guess you called Julie? The Amtrak train status page still shows nothing but the above message.

Yes, I did call "Julie" and she put me in touch with a "live"person who told me it arrived at 10a.m. I agree, that note is extremely extremely ominious.....wish they would not use it so freely.

OMG!!! Alan and I were within a few steps of each other. I was in Sanford yesterday visiting my buddies in Sanford. I spent a lot of time viewing the train from the safety of the crossing, but I did go up to the headend at one point, and walked right down the platform. Oh well!

battalion51 said:
OMG!!! Alan and I were within a few steps of each other. I was in Sanford yesterday visiting my buddies in Sanford. I spent a lot of time viewing the train from the safety of the crossing, but I did go up to the headend at one point, and walked right down the platform. Oh well!
This forum seems to make the world even smaller!

Amfleet said:
battalion51 said:
This forum seems to make the world even smaller!
The Internet, its a beautiful thing :)

Bill Haithcoat said:
Yes, I did call "Julie" and she put me in touch with a "live"person who told me it arrived at 10a.m. I agree, that note is extremely extremely ominious.....wish they would not use it so freely.
Well that's certainly close enough. I logged us into the station at 9:58 AM, however it was 10:06 before they had cut off the auto carriers, set the brakes and allowed us to detrain. Therefore I would consider our arrival to be 10:06 AM.

We all had a great trip, despite running at 15 MPH for about 35 miles through South Carolina. This caused the crew to outlaw and further delayed us. Thankfully we encountered one of the best sleeping car attendants that I've ever met in all of my Amtrak travels. Woody was simply outstanding! :)

Glad you had a good trip, and were no later than you were. No doubt you will be sending a letter of commendation on Woody. I usually write good(or bad) letters as the need arises for exceptionally good(or bad) service.

Viewliner, I could not agree with you more that the internet is a beautful thing.

When I was your age I would no more have believed that we could communicate in seconds with people all over the world who had the same hobby anymore than I would have believed that we could have, well, gone to the moon!

battalion51 said:
B51,

Well if you were up around the head end at about 2:25 or so, then you might have seen me walking my brother and my two small nephews up to take a look at the engines.

We got into Sandford at about 2:05 or so. After settling everyone into a chair, I wandered off to record the consist. Upon my return to the outside sitting area, I then walked back to the front as I mentioned above. By the time we had finished that, it was time to start boarding. So thankfully we only sat outside in the heat for about 25 minutes or so. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back