Sunset Early Arrival

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtabern

Conductor
I see that the westbound Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited (#1/#421) could get into LAX as early as 4:35am now with the new schedule!! Yikes!! I know you can theoretically occupy the sleeper until 6:30am, but I don't know if that would really be possible because I'm sure a lot of people would be up on arrival and would move around and making noise... plus the sleeping car attendant probably wants everyone off too. I hate to say it, but I doubt I would probably not take this train anymore getting into LAX that early. I heard the 4:35am arrival earlier this week was sorta a cluster at LAX -- only 2 redcaps on duty, none of the shops open, etc. Also, I heard the lounge car opens at 4am on the arrival into LAX. Wow!! I wonder about the diner?

Last edited by a moderator:
What fun! :blink:

I know there are some 'winners' in the new SSL schedule, and there are those of us here who don't want to admit it, but the early arrival into LAX is a problem, especially when #1 is running early.

Personally I'm not sure I'll ever take #1 into LAX again unless some adjustments are made to ease one's arrival into a slumbering City of Angels.

It is true Amtrak will likely recover any loss in revenue due to lower ridership into LAX, with cost savings, but for passengers, other than the benefit of the better connection to #14 (and nodding off in the PPC after the wine and cheese, if not before) most passengers into LAX end up 'on the short end of the stick' with the new arrival time.

Score one for the accountants.

I know you can theoretically occupy the sleeper until 6:30am, but I don't know if that would really be possible because I'm sure a lot of people would be up on arrival and would move around and making noise... plus the sleeping car attendant probably wants everyone off too.
You're too nice a guy. If the sleeping car attendant tried to get me out of my bedroom early I'd be sure to stay in my bed right up to the time listed in the schedule, just to spite him. And I'd save the money that otherwise would have gone to his tip for breakfast at Philippe's.

I don't see the big deal really. I'm not going to not ride a train simply because it gets in at an early hour. Back before the schedule was expanded, #1 use to arrive into LAX at 6:30 AM. (Or was suppose to, at least) Where I use to live, the train came at 1 AM and 5 AM. I just made a reservation on the Sunset Ltd. to connect with the Coast Starlight in July. I'll see how it goes.

Plus, does it say anywhere that we can stay in our sleeper until 6:30 AM? It doesn't mention that anywhere in the timetable.

Plus, does it say anywhere that we can stay in our sleeper until 6:30 AM? It doesn't mention that anywhere in the timetable.
On the 5/7/12 Sunset Limited timetable at amtrak.com it says on page 2: "Sleeping car passengers arriving at Los Angeles are welcome to occupy their accommodations until 6:30 a.m."

No breakfast and the last 2 trips train 1 has came in at 430 am ( as matter fact today's train came in at 427).

The Sunset is my "default" train to LAX and I've had to deal with arrivals between 0630 and 0700 with no problems. And now if we got in at 0430, I'd just roll over and sack it out until closing time and then head straight away to Philippe for Breakfast. If I'm connecting with the Starlight, that's just a couple more hours waiting in a very pleasant station and if I'm staying in LA I'd most likely be at the Metro Plaza and they will usually do best they can to have you in your room before noon.

Train schedules cannot be perfect but for well over 100 years folks have dealt with that just fine :)

Oh but there is a huge history of "set out sleepers" in this country.It has not happened too much on Amtrak just because there are so fewer trains now than in the past.It has happened some under Amtrak like on the overnight NEC trains.

But honestly if you were to glimpse an old Official Railway Guide up until the early 60s you would find masses of set out sleepers all over the country and at cities much smaller than Los Angeles

My favorite story, when I was in grade school, was at the station in Chattanooga putting my sister on a train to Birmingham. I noticed a lone sleeper sitting there for some reason. All of a sudden people started coming out of it. I thought they were crazy--what were those fools doing in an empty spare car supposedly going nowhere? Turns out they had arrived at 3.35 am on the Tennessean from Memphis and they could stay on board until 8 am.The rest of the train left at 4 am to Washington,NYC.

In the other direction people in Chattanooga could board the sleeper at 9.30 pm while the train to Memphis did not arrive from NYC and Washington until midnight.

Of course we have some generations of travelers who have never heard of such a thing, including the car attendants.

But I bet we could get used to it again, inasmuch as it was so common in the past

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the people on the train got on as CDT or MTD. There are few local riders on the train. So a 5:30 arrival is really 7:30 or 6:30 even if Californians aren't up yet. The Cardinal leaves New York at 6:45am. How many New Yorkers get up early enough to make that train? The Sunset's schedule was adjusted to eliminate the long layover in San Antonio and give decent arrival and departure times to the large population centers on the route. I am sure the passengers can live with the early arrival in LAX ok. It gets them home or headed to their destination ahead of the rush hour in LA.

Saw #1/#421 got in at 4:27AM TODAY!!

I guess it (early arrival time) is not a huge deal if you're a morning person or live in LAX or have somewhere to go when you get to the station.

The problem is how do you kill 6 hours in the wee hours of the morning if you are connecting to #14? OR... how do you kill 11 hours before you can check into your hotel if you are staying in LAX?

I'd say maybe hold the train just one or two more hours at SAS -- and get in around 5:30 or 6:30am instead.

There is not a good place to store your bags in LAX (atleast not a free place to store your bags for those in sleepers)... and I dont think I would really want to wonder around that neighborhood at 4AM either.

I guess it (early arrival time) is not a huge deal if you're a morning person or live in LAX or have somewhere to go when you get to the station.

The problem is how do you kill 6 hours in the wee hours of the morning if you are connecting to #14? OR... how do you kill 11 hours before you can check into your hotel if you are staying in LAX?

I'd say maybe hold the train just one or two more hours at SAS -- and get in around 5:30 or 6:30am instead.

There is not a good place to store your bags in LAX (atleast not a free place to store your bags for those in sleepers)... and I dont think I would really want to wonder around that neighborhood at 4AM either.
Another idea would be to make #421 an EVENING train out of Chicago... and #1 leave NOL later too.

This could create a possible connection to some of the later-day state trains into CHI... and possibly even a new connection with #4 and #8 (we won't even try and go there with #6)

If somebody needs to rent a car at the station, Hertz doesn't open until 7:00, or even 8:00 on the weekends.

Points run to Fullerton! Or a day trip to San Diego!
How about letting #1 continue on to San Diego then?? :) Let it arrive around 8AM in SAN?? :) Just kidding.

Actually, one of my favorite things to do is the Surfliner turn to Solana Beach... there is a beautiful beach with 700 foot high cliffs overlooking it about a 2 block walk away from the stop there. It's kinda a well-kept secret my friend in LAX told me about.

How about letting #1 continue on to San Diego then?? :) Let it arrive around 8AM in SAN?? :) Just kidding.

Actually, one of my favorite things to do is the Surfliner turn to Solana Beach... there is a beautiful beach with 700 foot high cliffs overlooking it about a 2 block walk away from the stop there. It's kinda a well-kept secret my friend in LAX told me about.
Not sure to whom the beach is a secret to? Perhaps Amtrak riders from the East Coast who get to Solana Beach once in a blue moon. But for legions of Southern Californians, this beach, known as Fletcher Cove, is one of the most popular and most crowded beaches in San Diego County. It certainly does have high cliffs but is easily accessed down the extension of Lomas Santa Fe Drive west of the Coast Highway. The Amtrak/Coaster station is on the east side of the intersection.

Solana Beach is my destination from Tucson. The Surfliner leaves LAX at 6:15 and arrives in Solana Beach at 8:22. It's basically a 12 hour overnight trip to get from Tucson to San Diego. Too bad there isn't a line that goes straight to San Diego... trust me it's a much nicer place to be than LA and the northbound surfliner/coaster will take you where you need to go.

Six hours in my car, or twelve hours on an overnight train? I guess it depends on how well you sleep on a train! I do this trip about 5-6 times per year and haven't ever taken the train yet, but I will someday. PS... the flight is less than 1 hour and about $90... hard to beat that.

SEVEN HUNDRED feet high???? I think not! Try, maybe, seventy, and to get that you'd have to walk south to Torrey Pines/Black's Beach...

Not sure to whom the beach is a secret to? Perhaps Amtrak riders from the East Coast who get to Solana Beach once in a blue moon. But for legions of Southern Californians, this beach, known as Fletcher Cove, is one of the most popular and most crowded beaches in San Diego County. It certainly does have high cliffs but is easily accessed down the extension of Lomas Santa Fe Drive west of the Coast Highway. The Amtrak/Coaster station is on the east side of the intersection.
Solana Beach is not crowded by any stretch of the imagination. Ever been to pacific beach, ocean beach, or any beach in Orange County or LA? I grew up 10 mins from there. It's a nice place and plenty quiet except for the big holiday weekends. Personally, I prefer Moonlight Beach. It's a 5 minute walk from the Encinitas station (no Amtrak... gotta take the Coaster). It's a great place.

Don't change your watch from central time to pacific time. Your watch will say, "6:30 am" instead of "4:30 am".

I wouldn't mind it since I'm a morning person and it's one time event during your vacation.

Another idea would be to make #421 an EVENING train out of Chicago... and #1 leave NOL later too.

This could create a possible connection to some of the later-day state trains into CHI... and possibly even a new connection with #4 and #8 (we won't even try and go there with #6)
But that would potentially upset the Metrolink folks, who reportedly want the Sunset consist out of the station by 7am.

But that would potentially upset the Metrolink folks, who reportedly want the Sunset consist out of the station by 7am.
Strange since, until last week, #1 was arriving at 7 am (if it had a good run and got in early).

Every hotel I have ever stayed in will check you bags in for you while you wait for your room. Most flights to Europe get in early in the morning. Same for New Zealand and Australia. I have never had a problem with this in the US either. People on here appear to be staying up nights trying to dream up scenarios that just don't exist. There is nothing wrong with an early morning arrival in LA and waiting around for another connection is the same whether it's in an airport or a train station.

What is it about pensioners that makes them think they speak for everyone?

Just because there is no such thing as "too early" for you doesn't meant that's how it works for everyone else.

For me 4:30 AM is too early of an arrival.

For me 2:45 AM is too early of a departure.

For me the new service days don't work with when I can travel.

For several years the Sunset Limited accounted for the vast majority of my train travel. With the new schedule it will probably account for little or none.

I can see the reasoning for why Amtrak would benefit from this change in a general ledger sense.

Only will tell if this move will actually benefit the ridership of the Sunset Limited route specifically.

Wow this is a first! People complaining because an Amtrak train is running on time or before time!
blink.gif
Only in America indeed.!

How about signing a petition to hand over to Union Pacific requesting them to hold Sunset Limited in random sidings for hours on end so that it arrives into LAX at a "better" time of say, 9 or 10am? They sure would be happy to do that, considering how much they "love" Amtrak trains occupying their tracks and delaying freights.

Wow this is a first! People complaining because an Amtrak train is running on time or before time!
blink.gif
Only in America indeed.!

How about signing a petition to hand over to Union Pacific requesting them to hold Sunset Limited in random sidings for hours on end so that it arrives into LAX at a "better" time of say, 9 or 10am? They sure would be happy to do that, considering how much they "love" Amtrak trains occupying their tracks and delaying freights.
This. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back