Suggestions - 6 hours in Chicago w/a kid

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye

Train Attendant
If all goes well next week and the CZ is close to on-time into Chicago (knock on wood), I will have about 6 hours before the LSL leaves. I'll have my 8-year-old son with me and would love suggestions for things we can do, places to eat in that time frame. Is the top of the Sears Tower and a yummy dinner doable before the LSL departs? What else would be fun? Thanks!

Sears Tower should be doable. Might be nusy this time of the year. We were there the Sunday before Thanksgiving going right after we checked into the Lounge after getting off th CL and had plenty of time to get lunch before getting on the CZ.

The water taxi (right across the river from Union Station under the Adams Street bridge) to Navy Pier. Lots of fun things to do there. I did this last summer with my 9 year old granddaughter.

The Chicago Museum of Science and Industry is always a great option, but it involves some navigation by public transit. The simplest way is to take the X28 bus from right at Union Station which drops off practically in front of the museum. If you want some more train time, walk or take a bus over to a Metra Electric station, either the Van Buren Street station, or Randolph Street station, ride down to the 55-56-57th Street Station, and walk two blocks east along 56th or 57th street (after one block though, you'll definitely see the museum if you can't see it from the station). I've been there twice, but it's still not enough. It's like a Children's museum in that there's a lot to do, but most of the exhibits are fun for kids and adults alike.

Last edited by a moderator:
The water taxi (right across the river from Union Station under the Adams Street bridge) to Navy Pier. Lots of fun things to do there. I did this last summer with my 9 year old granddaughter.
I second the water taxi!!!

When I was a Trails & Rails guide for the now-defunct program on the Empire Builder between Minneapolis and Chicago, I would get that question a lot for people with connecting trains... and I'd ALWAYS recommend the Water Taxi.

It's like $2 one way, $4 round trip, or $5 for an all day pass.

You get to see the skyscrapers at an affordable cost... and it lets you right out on Michigan Avenue where there is a lot of shopping, people watching, and restaurants to check out... as your time allows.

I always told passengers that you can **TRY** the Sears Tower or one of the museums... but sometimes there can be a 1-2 hour wait for the Sears Tower (they make you sit through a 20-minute video about the history of Chicago before you can go up) -- and it's a hike to some of the museums especially Science and Industry.

Hi, I would suggest Navy Pier also. There is a food court, ferris wheel, cinema, tropical greenhouse, and other interesting stuff for a child. You can travel by bus there and back directly from chicago station. The water taxi is fun, but is only a short ride, and as far as I know,(admittedly it was off season), it only went up to Michigan Avenue, still a long way from the pier. An alternative to the Sears tower is the Hancock tower, reachable by 151 bus to and from Union Station. Navy Pier is free to visit, so you have no worries about long lines to gain entry, which might be a problem if time between trains is limited.

I love Chicago!

Ed :cool:

I second the water taxi!!!

When I was a Trails & Rails guide for the now-defunct program on the Empire Builder between Minneapolis and Chicago, I would get that question a lot for people with connecting trains... and I'd ALWAYS recommend the Water Taxi.

It's like $2 one way, $4 round trip, or $5 for an all day pass.

You get to see the skyscrapers at an affordable cost... and it lets you right out on Michigan Avenue where there is a lot of shopping, people watching, and restaurants to check out... as your time allows.

I always told passengers that you can **TRY** the Sears Tower or one of the museums... but sometimes there can be a 1-2 hour wait for the Sears Tower (they make you sit through a 20-minute video about the history of Chicago before you can go up) -- and it's a hike to some of the museums especially Science and Industry.
We were able to skip the video but that may be because it was early in the day and the line was not long and moved quickly. We just walked down to the "exit" door to the elevators.

For more money you can get an express pass to get up to the top quicker. We didn't need to do that thank goodness.

When I went to the Sears Tower, I was surprized that there was no line

to the observation deck of the building. I quickly bought my ticket

and walked to the lift. After a couple of seconds, the lift door opened

and away we went. Upon arrival in the observation deck, I quickly understood

why I was able to get here so quickly. All I could see was clouds!! It was

so cloudy that I could not see anything but clouds!!

My advice, Look before you Leap!!

Hi, I would suggest Navy Pier also. There is a food court, ferris wheel, cinema, tropical greenhouse, and other interesting stuff for a child. You can travel by bus there and back directly from chicago station. The water taxi is fun, but is only a short ride, and as far as I know,(admittedly it was off season), it only went up to Michigan Avenue, still a long way from the pier. An alternative to the Sears tower is the Hancock tower, reachable by 151 bus to and from Union Station. Navy Pier is free to visit, so you have no worries about long lines to gain entry, which might be a problem if time between trains is limited.

I love Chicago!

Ed :cool:
Definitely go for Navy Pier. Even though the water taxi may only get you as far as Michigan Avenue, you should be able to find a city transit bus just north of the river to take you to Navy Pier (the linked brochure also has a good map of downtown). You can also take a bus up north on Michigan to the Hancock Tower.

I do see that the price of the water taxi has gone up. It is now $3 each way.

There are also buses that go from Union Station to Navy Pier, as well as Union Station to the aquarium and Field Museum.

There won't be enough time to do the Museum of Science and Industry. It closes at 5:30 pm, and even if your train is on time, you probably wouldn't get down there until between 3:30 and 4 pm.

Navy Pier, as others have recommended, is a popular tourist trap destination. However, I'd suggest getting dinner some place other than the Pier, because while the food quality is the same, you're guaranteed to pay considerably more for eating on the Pier as opposed to elsewhere.

When I went to the Sears Tower, I was surprized that there was no line

to the observation deck of the building. I quickly bought my ticket

and walked to the lift. After a couple of seconds, the lift door opened

and away we went. Upon arrival in the observation deck, I quickly understood

why I was able to get here so quickly. All I could see was clouds!! It was

so cloudy that I could not see anything but clouds!!

My advice, Look before you Leap!!
First thing we did when we walked out of Union Station was to look up to the top of the tower and we saw the sky decks. Told my daughter (18) that's where we're headed. So, since we could see the sky decks I didn't even think about the possibility of it being cloudy. We had great views from up there.

They do have signs, I believe, before you buy your ticket letting you know that you won't get a refund if it's cloudy and you don't see all you want to see from up there.

You'll just have to hop on a train again :wub: and head out to Chicago so you can try again. ;)

You can purchase a "Fast Pass" for the Sears Tower Skydeck. It allows you to bypass the films and such. You can head straight for the elevator.

http://www.theskydec...-pass-admission

"Receive VIP access with express entry to Skydeck elevators! Fast Pass admission gives guests the option to bypass the interactive exhibits and the "Reaching For The Sky" theater presentation and be within 2-4 elevator rides from the Skydeck."

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all of the great suggestions - and the information about the museum closing times. It sounds like we will have several excellent options :)

There are two water-taxi companies, and the one that leaves from the Adams Street bridge does go to Navy Pier. Shoreline Co. water-taxi link. It's more expensive than the other one, though: $8 for adults, $5 for children. Because traveling on the river is fun, :cool: my suggestion is to take the water-taxi one way and the CTA bus (#124 direct from Navy Pier to Union Station) the other way.

If you have a young person with you while you're between trains (CZ & LSL) in Chicago, may I recommend: 1. The Field Museum of Natural History; close to the Loop and Union Station, easy to get to via cab or bus, and what kid doesn't like dinosaurs and natural stuff? 2. Navy Pier, because young people find the place exciting and fascinating, not like us old fogies. 3. Dinner at Ed Debevec's on the near North Side. Ed Debevec's is a Chicago institution that tries and succeeds in re-creating the American Graffiti Mel's Diner experience. The food's good, the staff puts on a show, and kids love it! And never forget the Art Institute of Chicago on "Boul Mich" that features many of the most famous paintings and works of art in American culture. Oh, did I mention taking a walk in the Millennial Park?

I vote against any river tour or bus tour or anything that is basically a "ride." After getting off the Zephyr, you'll be ready to walk, not ride!

Another free, rainy day choice: Walk around the Loop and walk into and out of fine-looking public buildings. In Chicago they often have gorgeous and impressive public spaces.

Two recommended Loop restaurants that adults (and older kids) enjoy: 1. The Berghof Restaurant on Adams Street; 2. The Miller Pub on Wabash Street in the Palmer House hotel. Both are walking distance from Union Station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back