Street Running

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DET63

Conductor
In Oakland, CA, the CS and CC trains run down The Embarcadero for several blocks north of OKJ station. I believe Amtrak trains in Syracuse, NY, used to go down the middle of a street. (I've looked at Google maps of the city and can't tell if they do anymore or not.) Are there any other places where Amtrak trains run or have run down the middle of a street?

Syracuse is a NO - at least currently.

Besides OKJ, I can't think of any other place. (I did do some street running on a NS steam excursion in Erie, PA - but that was on NS trackage, and Amtrak uses CSX tracks at Erie.)

In Oakland, CA, the CS and CC trains run down The Embarcadero for several blocks north of OKJ station. I believe Amtrak trains in Syracuse, NY, used to go down the middle of a street. (I've looked at Google maps of the city and can't tell if they do anymore or not.) Are there any other places where Amtrak trains run or have run down the middle of a street?
In Austin the Eagles run down the middle of MOPAC Blvd. so named cause it was the old Missouri-Pacific line north to STL. Its now a 4-6 lane freeway

but the cars are on both sides as it pulls into/out of the Station, you can watch peoples faces from the train when they are surprised as a train goes high balling past faster than the highway traffic! (which is usually at a standstill or slow during the times the Eagle runs through Austin!)

In the old days trains blocked Congress Avenue which was the North/South San Antonio-Dallas highway, I still remember the Texas Special and the Lone Star Flyer holding up traffic while they loaded/unloaded @ the stations which are, alas, long gone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ashland, VA. I know the Autotrain runs through town. Probably the Silvers and the NEC trains to Richmond.

I didn't realize the Embarcadero was in Oakland.

Fayetteville, NC has a section where there is double track between the two lanes of traffic. Not technically street running, but if you're on the train looking out, it sure looks like it is! Here's the BING Bird's Eye View. This is Wilson Street. The only pax train to see it during daylight hours is the Palmetto, which comes through at 1:04 PM (NB) and 3:44 PM (SB).

Now, there IS some legit street running a bit north of the station on Hillsborogh St, but Amtrak doesn't use it.

i believe the Hoosier State runs in the middle of the road.
The Cresent and Hoosier State used to run down one of the main streets (I think it was 5th Street) in Lafayette, IN up to the early-to-mid 1990s. I think they rerouted the train off that street and closer to the Wabash river a few years ago.

The Cresent and Hoosier State used to run down one of the main streets (I think it was 5th Street) in Lafayette, IN up to the early-to-mid 1990s. I think they rerouted the train off that street and closer to the Wabash river a few years ago.

That would be The Cardinal and Hoosier State and yes they are now on a track over by the river.

Slip of the tongue moment, I believe you meant to say Cardinal rather than Crescent.

I do not remember the small city names, but in several locations on the Auto-Train / Silver Service, the trains run ALMOST on the street, basically a grass boulevard, but technically not street running..

Not Amtrak, but Chicago & South Shore used to, (Michigan City?) might still................

I do not remember the small city names, but in several locations on the Auto-Train / Silver Service, the trains run ALMOST on the street, basically a grass boulevard, but technically not street running..
Not Amtrak, but Chicago & South Shore used to, (Michigan City?) might still................
The South Shore in Michigan City does indeed run down the middle of some streets. Very interesting to see cars right next to you out the window as they go by.

When I was on the sunset two months ago we ran up the street someplace in Louisiana. Special route.

When I was on the sunset two months ago we ran up the street someplace in Louisiana. Special route.
You have a good memory Ed; the town was Plaquemine, LA (Indian for "burnt persimmon) on the former T&P and there are fourteen crossings from one end of town to the other. The eastbound lanes are on the south side of the tracks and the westbound are on the north side. It's MP 84-85 in the UP TT.

Slip of the tongue moment, I believe you meant to say Cardinal rather than Crescent.
Oops. :eek:

Yep, Cardinal, not Crescent.

In Oakland, CA, the CS and CC trains run down The Embarcadero for several blocks north of OKJ station.
I didn't realize the Embarcadero was in Oakland.
Aloha

The Amtrak Oakland Station is at one end of Embarcadero, ths several blocks that make up Jack London Square. The next station north is Emeryvile. The Emeryvile station Splits a city line, when I took the CZ east I walked to the sleepers, and crossed the line to Berkley :rolleyes: before boarding.

I seem to recall some discussion on this board a few months ago about the old Pioneer street running in Fort Collins, Colorado, and whether a revived Pioneer would do the same thing.

Seems like the long ago "Floridian ", discontined in 1979, did some street running somewhere.

It's route and schedule and everything else flipped flopped around a time or two so I am not saying it always at all times ran in the street, I just think during one of its temporary route structures there was a place where it ran in the street. Not sure where.

Years ago (1970's or 1980's :lol: ), I seem to remember some street running. I want to say it was in Tampa, FL (since I went there alot), but I'm not sure. :unsure:
Amtrak used go to St. Petersburg and it ran middle of the street way back yes and I saw the tracks, old memories

Street running in Boston?

No, that's not an Amtrak train. It's a Green Line train in Beantown wearing Amtrak advertising.

Years ago (1970's or 1980's :lol: ), I seem to remember some street running. I want to say it was in Tampa, FL (since I went there alot), but I'm not sure. :unsure:
Amtrak used go to St. Petersburg and it ran middle of the street way back yes and I saw the tracks, old memories
I am going out on a limb here, if anyone wants to correct me I will not argue.

But I sorta kinda think that Amtrak itself did not go directly by train into St. Petersburg.

Instead, I suspect the tracks you saw were old Atlantic Coast Line tracks, which today would be CSX if still in use.

I can speak broadly so much better than I can speak specifically but the history of all the routes which at one time existed in Florida is breathtaking in scope and more than I can readily conjure up. Moral of the story: many trains went many ways at one time which they do not do any more today.

WAIT a minute, I think the old Floridian had a branch which went over to St. Petersburg as well as to Miami so I guess I hae corrected myself. Sometimes it is hard to find sources in my junky aparment.

I am going out on a limb here, if anyone wants to correct me I will not argue.

But I sorta kinda think that Amtrak itself did not go directly by train into St. Petersburg.

WAIT a minute, I think the old Floridian had a branch which went over to St. Petersburg as well as to Miami so I guess I hae corrected myself. Sometimes it is hard to find sources in my junky aparment.
You're forgiven! :lol:

Amtrak used to run via Lakeland, Tampa and Clearwater to St. Petersburg - going northwest around Tampa Bay before heading south.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back