Street Running

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I ever got them up online, but I've taken pictures of the old station in St. Pete. The platform is still there with the overhang and everything. Very few trains traverse this line today, just a few locals serving the industrial areas in St. Pete.

I didn't realize the Embarcadero was in Oakland.
Perhaps you meant an embarcadero.
Most cities on water of some Spanish heritage have a dock or wharf area, although not all have a street named "embarcadero."

Seems like the long ago "Floridian ", discontined in 1979, did some street running somewhere.
It's route and schedule and everything else flipped flopped around a time or two so I am not saying it always at all times ran in the street, I just think during one of its temporary route structures there was a place where it ran in the street. Not sure where.
Bill, The Floridian used the former Monon Route from Chicago to Louisville from 1975 until 1979 (which the Cardinal/Hoosier State currently uses from Chicago to Crawfordsville), there was street running in Bloomington, Bedford and New Albany. Up until the 1930s, Interurban Lines ran through the streets of many cities in Indiana. The Monon was not an interurban, but also had a lot of street running in Indiana. CSX Freight trains still run along quite a few blocks of 15th Street in New Albany which is a residential street with homes of both sides. It was neat to sit in the dome car of the Floridian and wave to people sitting on their porches, waving as the train passed.

In Oakland, CA, the CS and CC trains run down The Embarcadero for several blocks north of OKJ station. I believe Amtrak trains in Syracuse, NY, used to go down the middle of a street. (I've looked at Google maps of the city and can't tell if they do anymore or not.) Are there any other places where Amtrak trains run or have run down the middle of a street?
The CZ stops in the street in Reno, NV. I was once eating lunch in the dining car looking out at the cars facing us waiting and drivers fuming.

In Oakland, CA, the CS and CC trains run down The Embarcadero for several blocks north of OKJ station. I believe Amtrak trains in Syracuse, NY, used to go down the middle of a street. (I've looked at Google maps of the city and can't tell if they do anymore or not.) Are there any other places where Amtrak trains run or have run down the middle of a street?
The CZ stops in the street in Reno, NV. I was once eating lunch in the dining car looking out at the cars facing us waiting and drivers fuming.
Hasn't since the Reno trench was completed a few years ago.

Hasn't since the Reno trench was completed a few years ago.
Yeah. After they built the Reno Trench, the CZ stops (and stops for longer) below street level! There are no longer grade crossings in downtown Reno.

If I am not mistaken, the Sunset Limited does a little bit of street running in New Iberia, LA near the station.
From Google maps and satellite images, it looks like the train runs down the middle of Washington Street.

For a few summers in the mid-2000s there was a passenger train service, the Lewis & Clark Explorer, that ran four days a week between Portland and Astoria, OR. I don't believe it stopped at any of the intermediate towns, but it did run down the middle of A Street in Rainier. I don't think it was considered an Amtrak service (it didn't go to Union Station in Portland), but I believe one was able to book reservations for it through Amtrak.

Just checked, it was six years ago.

Just checked, it was six years ago.
The Reno tracks were relocated into a subgrade "trench" about four years ago. Downtown streets are no longer affected by Amtrak or Union Pacific operations.

I believe that the Texas Eagle / Lincoln Service has a short segment of street running in Springfield, IL. From the train, it appears to be street running as there are traffic lanes on both sides of the train for a few blocks... however it may in fact be running in a median between the two lanes.

I believe that the Texas Eagle / Lincoln Service has a short segment of street running in Springfield, IL. From the train, it appears to be street running as there are traffic lanes on both sides of the train for a few blocks... however it may in fact be running in a median between the two lanes.
Looking at Google maps and the "street view," it appears that the latter is the case. Even though the tracks are nominally in the center of 3rd Street, traffic actually passes on one-way streets on either side (or, in the area of the station, through a possibly two-way alley on the opposite side of the tracks). At no point does it appear that vehicles are able to physically operate on the tracks, except to cross them at a regular grade crossing.

Does anyone know how much freight traffic the area receives daily?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back