Slightly ...OT!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
engine999 said:
IGoDwnTwn said:
Update Time:
Week 15...

Worked at Cicero yard in Chicago as Hostler gas-ing and moving motor power from service track to storage tracks. Also had a chance to go to an NS yard and bring back 3 pumpkins. We also have some of the new GE ES series in stock now. One new feature...just press a button next to the handbrake wheel...and it sets itself....real cool.

This week ( #16) .I will be working the Metra 's 14th street yard as hostler again..moving engines around. This is the ultimate in railroad dreaming. 4400 horsepower a your command.

IGO
That "auto" hand brake functions is really cool. Is that going to be included on all the new locos from ge?
Not sure about all the new ones...but the new ES 44CW has it. That's the only really new feature....the rest is just an update to the GE Dash 9 4400-CW

Igo

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't GE only manufacturing the Evolution Series with the Control Stand instead of the Desktop controls as the DASH 9 series had.

Actually, I believe that depends on railroad. I heard BNSF ones had desktops but up was getting control stands. I could be wrong though.

Aloha battalion51

That is the first modern engine control that I have seen seems to be pretty much the same as the '40 controls. Where are the improvements. Then the Speed indicator being on the right so far out of the vision of the operator..

IGO, few helpful tips for you that ive picked up in my years(god i never thought id say that! :p :D ) as a conductor for amtrak.

1.) Rest- get it while you can. 8hr turn around is the shortest time in the world esp. when you are dead on your feet. anytime you can get a couple hrs of sleep, get em.

2.) Ask Questions- if you are out switching cars with your conductor, and you forget or are unshure as to what car# or track# he said, do not feel bad about stopping the move and asking your conductor. he will tell you like they told me, ill explain the move to you all day, just as long as we all have a clear understanding of the moves to be made.

3.) Learn Railroaing 101- as i call it. :D . this is basically the stuff they dont teach you in the classroom. for example i alwaly carry a roll of duct tape with me. you will learn that duct tape is worth its weight in gold to a railroader. it fixes everything. if it cant be fixed with duct tape it cant be fixed. :D You will be working METRA correct? ok take your hat and place about 2 or 3 tie raps on the inside. they are there for when you need them for dragging hoses ect. next thing is ALWAYS carry somekind of food with you that can stay tucked away in your grip for along time ie.can of spam/ramen noodels/ritz crackers. only one thing worse than having to be up all night, and thats having to be up all night while you are hungry.

Enjoy it, have fun, and be safe

Ryan :)

amtrakconductor2731 said:
IGO, few helpful tips for you that ive picked up in my years(god i never thought id say that! :p :D ) as a conductor for amtrak.
1.) Rest- get it while you can. 8hr turn around is the shortest time in the world esp. when you are dead on your feet. anytime you can get a couple hrs of sleep, get em.

2.) Ask Questions- if you are out switching cars with your conductor, and you forget or are unshure as to what car# or track# he said, do not feel bad about stopping the move and asking your conductor. he will tell you like they told me, ill explain the move to you all day, just as long as we all have a clear understanding of the moves to be made.

3.) Learn Railroaing 101- as i call it. :D . this is basically the stuff they dont teach you in the classroom. for example i alwaly carry a roll of duct tape with me. you will learn that duct tape is worth its weight in gold to a railroader. it fixes everything. if it cant be fixed with duct tape it cant be fixed. :D You will be working METRA correct? ok take your hat and place about 2 or 3 tie raps on the inside. they are there for when you need them for dragging hoses ect. next thing is ALWAYS carry somekind of food with you that can stay tucked away in your grip for along time ie.can of spam/ramen noodels/ritz crackers. only one thing worse than having to be up all night, and thats having to be up all night while you are hungry.

Enjoy it, have fun, and be safe

Ryan :)
Thanks alot for the tips. Actually, I start classroom training for Metra (Aurora Line) Monday. One week in the class then one week on the job. It's part of being trained as a conductor on the BN in the Chicago area. I finished my hostler training today. After the Metra training I'll be on the extra board...meaning that I will get a call at anytime to work either yard jobs, hostler, or Metra. Again, thanks for the tips!!!

IGO

IGoDwnTwn said:
FOLKS!!!
I've posted some pics...click on link...then choose my documents.....then click on "metra yard".....ENJOY!!!!
Aloha

I forgot which shot of the metra, but what is that between the tracks in front? "Lionel 3rd rail?"

Mahalo for the pictures.

GG-1 said:
IGoDwnTwn said:
FOLKS!!!
I've posted some pics...click on link...then choose my documents.....then click on "metra yard".....ENJOY!!!!
Aloha

I forgot which shot of the metra, but what is that between the tracks in front? "Lionel 3rd rail?"

Mahalo for the pictures.
Which pic?....there are a few shown.

Igo

oh....there are metal plates between the rails on the service tracks. The plates act as collectors incase of spills and the like. What looks like a middle track is actually a seam in the middle of the plates to prevent leakage to the ground....sort of like a cover were all the roof sides meet.

Igo

IGoDwnTwn said:
oh....there are metal plates between the rails on the service tracks. The plates act as collectors incase of spills and the like. What looks like a middle track is actually a seam in the middle of the plates to prevent leakage to the ground....sort of like a cover were all the roof sides meet.

Igo
Aloha and Mahalo

for sharing your time with trains with us.

GG-1 said:
IGoDwnTwn said:

Igo
Aloha and Mahalo

for sharing your time with trains with us.
Next week (17)..

Training for Metra conductor/collector. one week in class and one week on the job training.

IGO

Update time:

Week 18 coming up......I've got on the job training with Chicago's metra Aurora line (BNSF). I am scheduled for trains monday to Wednesday. I will be on morning rush hour runs...a 6 hour break...then the evening rush hour runs. I took and passed Amtrak's CHicago Union Station test. Now I am qualified to be conductor on Amtrak's property between Amtrak's 14th street "Y" and Chicago Union Station. Amtrak use slightly different type of signaling and also has a few diferent rules when it comes the the GCOR rule book. This will be the last official week in training. I go on the "extraboard" starting at 0:01 next saturday morning working as a full time conductor on the BNSF railroad in freight service...also a qualified hostler and brakeman. This week has been a long time coming.

IGO

I've finally arrived!!!!!

I finished my fully 19 weeks of training and official "marked up". I started my first shift as a BNSF trainman last night working 3rd shift.

Thanks to all of you for reading these rather boring posts. But I just wanted to document my journey to a "different world" that most will never experience.

Thanks again......keep me in your thoughts .and prayers

IGO!!!

Greetings to all,

Just wanted you all to know that I am alive and well. Three months into railroad employeement and loving it all. Schedule floats all over the week. Days are as long as 12 hours ( HOS Government rules ). I've done alot of switching and learning more about the trade everyday. Unions are a big thing and keeping up with them is a daily job.

Overall, it's great. I've already benefited from the financial rewards. I am always aware of the safety issue as there has been loss of life and serious injuries in yards that I have worked in.

If you are looking for a real career change and willing to deal with odd schedules...the railroad is for you!!!!

Thanks to all!!!

IGO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back