Slightly ...OT!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just sent in my application for assistant conductor for Los Angeles, so your journey has been helpful in my eyes. Thanks for posting!

Is freight training the same for passenger?

starlight said:
I just sent in my application for assistant conductor for Los Angeles, so your journey has been helpful in my eyes. Thanks for posting!
If you get hired (I'm presuming by Amtrak) out of LAX, say hi to Mike Monroe for me.

Hi guys and gals!!

Not sure if any of you remember me or the e posts that I wrote. It was last year about this time where I posted that I was hired at BNSF RR as conductor trainee. I also gave a bi weekly report of how my training was going.

Well, it's been a year now and all is well. I'm conductor on manyof my transfer run to other yards in the city of CHicago as well as sim[ple switching jobs in teh yard. I've learned alot since I started and learned those things that a book could never teach ya.

The financial benifits are past my wildest dreams. Its ashamed to get paid this kinda of money for such easy work. Other financial doors have also opened up for me.....even without asking. The retirement package is off da hook!

If your looking for a change of pace and love trains...consider working for the railroads. You wont regret it!!

IGO.

Awesome thread, even if it is a bit old.

Kinda makes me want to look into the Modoc Rail Academy I see advertised in Trains Magazine all the time.

Working on a railroad was a boyhood dream for me <_<

Greetings,

Just another update!! A year and a half with BNSFand things are great. Just wanted to share a moment from the other day with all of you. I was assigned conductor for a transfer run and climbed aboard a 'pumpkin' witha special logo on it. Those of you that are into Trains Simulation on the PC will especially know what I'm taking about. Just click the link, then click the "Train Pics" folder. Click on the pic itself for a larger view. Look closely at the white lettered words just after the engine number!!

IGO

http://photos.yahoo.com/igodwntwn_34

Greetings railroad fans. I have not been here in a while....matter of fact......since I got hired for BNSF. I decided to stop in and say hello to you all...letting you all know that I'm still with BNSF. Despite the lagging economy, I was not furloughed, however a few of a coworkers were. They just recently were brought back on the working board because it's vacation season and the boards are getting used up alot lately. Anyway, all is well and as soon as the first engineer's class is announced, I'm headed there. It's been almost 5 years since I started and would not trade it for the world.

Be blessed!!

IGoDwnTwn

Chicago

Greetings railroad fans. I have not been here in a while....matter of fact......since I got hired for BNSF. I decided to stop in and say hello to you all...letting you all know that I'm still with BNSF. Despite the lagging economy, I was not furloughed, however a few of a coworkers were. They just recently were brought back on the working board because it's vacation season and the boards are getting used up alot lately. Anyway, all is well and as soon as the first engineer's class is announced, I'm headed there. It's been almost 5 years since I started and would not trade it for the world.
Be blessed!!

IGoDwnTwn

Chicago
You started with BNSF before I started with AU so I wnet to the start of your thread and read it through.

Thanks, I really enjoyed it and I wish you all the best

rich

BNSF_1088 said:
Get qulified to run the Metra trains out of Aurora. :D
Actually...that's gonna be part of the conductor training. Metra conductors, hostlers, yard work, on the road.....we'll be trained in it all.

You know a guy named Rich?....He has 5 years seniority and he a very good instructor.!!!!

IGO
Well, If you all see my last post, it's been 6 years. Not very active in the forums huh..... lol! I am proud to announce that after 6 years with BNSF as a conductor working in the yard, I have entered the Engineer's Training Program. I am in my second week of on-the-job training doing runs as student engineer on the road. The previous three weeks were spent in classroom instruction at NARS located in Kansas City at the Johnson County Community College.

I'm living a childhood dream....to pilot a locomotive. My heaviest train was about 85 cars over 8000 tons.... using 2 GE motors! It takes alot of knowledge and experience to to run these monsters. The most important point....know the territory, the signals, the turns, everything!!!

My trainer is great as he has had 12 years running on the territory (Aurora sub) and the conductor has had over 20 years of experience. The conductor can tell what throttle position we are in just by listening and feeling the train. The old practice of running by the seat of your pants still holds alot of water to this day. Feeling when the train pushes or pulls you is still used.

I hope to post again after I've graduated in June....if not sooner..lol

IGO

BNSF_1088 said:
Get qulified to run the Metra trains out of Aurora. :D
Actually...that's gonna be part of the conductor training. Metra conductors, hostlers, yard work, on the road.....we'll be trained in it all.

You know a guy named Rich?....He has 5 years seniority and he a very good instructor.!!!!

IGO
Well, If you all see my last post, it's been 6 years. Not very active in the forums huh..... lol! I am proud to announce that after 6 years with BNSF as a conductor working in the yard, I have entered the Engineer's Training Program. I am in my second week of on-the-job training doing runs as student engineer on the road. The previous three weeks were spent in classroom instruction at NARS located in Kansas City at the Johnson County Community College.

I'm living a childhood dream....to pilot a locomotive. My heaviest train was about 85 cars over 8000 tons.... using 2 GE motors! It takes alot of knowledge and experience to to run these monsters. The most important point....know the territory, the signals, the turns, everything!!!

My trainer is great as he has had 12 years running on the territory (Aurora sub) and the conductor has had over 20 years of experience. The conductor can tell what throttle position we are in just by listening and feeling the train. The old practice of running by the seat of your pants still holds alot of water to this day. Feeling when the train pushes or pulls you is still used.

I hope to post again after I've graduated in June....if not sooner..lol

IGO
Sounds like you're starting to be a real RR'er. We had two classes of engineers that worked on our RR~ those that ran by the seat of our pants (we had NO dynamics~ straight automatic air) when I started except on pax engines) and those that wet their pants. I hope you stay in the former. Good luck. :cool:

You started with BNSF before I started with AU so I wnet to the start of your thread and read it through. Thanks, I really enjoyed it and I wish you all the best
Same here. Interesting thread. I just wish today's economy and hiring were more like it was back in 2004. I still think about what it might have been like if I had followed my original dream of becoming a train engineer instead of a desk jockey.

You started with BNSF before I started with AU so I wnet to the start of your thread and read it through. Thanks, I really enjoyed it and I wish you all the best
Same here. Interesting thread. I just wish today's economy and hiring were more like it was back in 2004. I still think about what it might have been like if I had followed my original dream of becoming a train engineer instead of a desk jockey.
Dax, I've thought the same thing many times over the last few years.

Hey guys and gals!!

Just another update. I am in my last week of the Engineer Training program. There are fives tests that have to be passed. Two simulator runs and the mechanical, ABTH (Air Brake and Train Handling) and GCOR (General Code of Operating Rules). As of today, two down and three to go. I studied alot during OJT and that has made it all easy to take these test. When I finish later this week, I head back to Chicago to start training on Metra Commuter Service. That's at 70mph!!!

Take Care!!!

IGO (not as in GO trains..LOL)

Hey guys and gals!!

Just another update. I am in my last week of the Engineer Training program. There are fives tests that have to be passed. Two simulator runs and the mechanical, ABTH (Air Brake and Train Handling) and GCOR (General Code of Operating Rules). As of today, two down and three to go. I studied alot during OJT and that has made it all easy to take these test. When I finish later this week, I head back to Chicago to start training on Metra Commuter Service. That's at 70mph!!!

Take Care!!!

IGO (not as in GO trains..LOL)
Keep one thing in the back of your mind, if you ever do smack a car, truck, or ped, remember. IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT!
I pray that you don't, having been there myself, but you can only do so much, which ain't much. It just is what it is.

Have fun whizzing those commuters to and from Chicago, and remember to "shout out" to those trackside rail fans with cameras/camcorders.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Another update......

I am proud to announce that I passed all classes and received my certificate of promotion to....BNSF Locomotive Engineer!!! I still have a checkride to do with the road foreman....just a formality in my view. I start Metra passenger service training Monday. If you have been following these updates, It's been a long seven years since I first started with BNSF. I am blessed to reach this point in my railroad career.

Ofcoarse, more updates to come!!! Thanks for all of the support!!

IGO!!

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Another update......

I am proud to announce that I passed all classes and received my certificate of promotion to....BNSF Locomotive Engineer!!! I still have a checkride to do with the road foreman....just a formality in my view. I start Metra passenger service training Monday. If you have been following these updates, It's been a long seven years since I first started with BNSF. I am blessed to reach this point in my railroad career.

Of course, more updates to come!!! Thanks for all of the support!!

IGO!!
Congratulations!

Greetings People!!!

Update time!!

I've completed all training including Metra training. However, as a new engineer, I dont have any seniority to hold anything at the moment. I will probably go back to a conductor job for a few weeks. August brings alot of openings due to folks going on vacation. SO I hope to put all this train to use....that's about it...more to more!!

IGO!!

Greetings People!!!

Update time!!

I've completed all training including Metra training. However, as a new engineer, I dont have any seniority to hold anything at the moment. I will probably go back to a conductor job for a few weeks. August brings alot of openings due to folks going on vacation. SO I hope to put all this train to use....that's about it...more to more!!

IGO!!
Senority they name is Sacred! :excl: Being a newbie in any job is tough, hope you get called alot from the extra board as an engineer! Look forward to riding your train some day! Highball!! ^_^

Greetings Peeps...

Update time......I've been able to hossle if I was not able to run as an engineer. It keeps the skills sharp. I'm on vacation at the moment but cant wait to get back to work. The rest of my engineer's class finished their testing and training. That make about 12 new engineers on the roster of which I am number 4 in seniority. I hope there is a slot for me when I get back!!

Take care!!!

IGO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back