Slightly ...OT!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IGoDwnTwn

Train Attendant
I am so happy that I had to share with my fellow railfans...

I start working for BNSF ( Burlington Northern/Sante Fe) in January!!...YES!!!!!

if this needs to be moved or removed....that's fine. I'm just so happy that I had to share it with all of you!!

IGO

I've always been wondering how one gets hired as a conductor or engineer. What type of training involved and all that stuff? Is there seniority and all that jazz like the airlines? I would love some insight. I come to these forums and realize how little I know about the technical side of trains.

Chris

Well, other than what I read online, I don't know alot of tech stuff. But I tell ya, if you want great pay and have lots of flexible timeand have a natural love for trains...head to the railroads. Most class 1 railroads are hiring in masses as the baby boomers are starting to retire. That and with volume of freight traffic climbing , they are in need of plenty people.

Go here:

www.bnsf.com

Check your area of the country and see if they are hiring there. Or if you wanna move somewhere else, that could be a plus for ya. I start with 4 weeks of class-room training. That's about all that I know at this time.

If you decided to try for it...be prompt for all appointments and scheduled examinations. They stress being on time and safety. I'm sure that my brain will be taken to the limit with all the tech stuff that I have to learn. But I also have always had a passion for trains. And that alone, in my opinion, will give me a big advantage.

IGO

PS I am not "plugging" BNSF per say. Just my point of view here.

Keep us posted. As a teacher in the Chicago Public Schools sytem, I have threatened, joked about going down to 21st street yard to work for Amtrak. I know that's not how it really works, but it could fools a stupid assistant principal into leaving me alone. :D

Well I know one thing's for sure, if I can't get hired with Amtrak right off the bat as an Engineer or Conductor, BNSF will be next in line, followed by NS or CSX (CSX has its benefits since I'm already qualified on all of their operating rules and Signal aspects in the south). Congrats!

Congrats, and I'm glad to hear you chose the most respectable freight railroad in the business. Long live BNSF! I have other "choice" words for UP, but I think you get the drift as far as my thoughts on them... :D :rolleyes:

Steve4031 said:
Keep us posted. As a teacher in the Chicago Public Schools sytem, I have threatened, joked about going down to 21st street yard to work for Amtrak. I know that's not how it really works, but it could fools a stupid assistant principal into leaving me alone. :D
I've done that plenty of times. Just sit ans watch Metra, AMtrak, and UP do thier business.

I will keep you all informed. I've been reading alot on railroading the past couple of days. There's alot to learn. I just hope it all doesn't ooozz out my ears!!!

IGO

IGoDwnTwn said:
Well, other than what I read online, I don't know alot of tech stuff. But I tell ya, if you want great pay and have lots of flexible timeand have a natural love for trains...head to the railroads. Most class 1 railroads are hiring in masses as the baby boomers are starting to retire. That and with volume of freight traffic climbing , they are in need of plenty people.
Go here:

www.bnsf.com

Check your area of the country and see if they are hiring there. Or if you wanna move somewhere else, that could be a plus for ya. I start with 4 weeks of class-room training. That's about all that I know at this time.

If you decided to try for it...be prompt for all appointments and scheduled examinations. They stress being on time and safety. I'm sure that my brain will be taken to the limit with all the tech stuff that I have to learn. But I also have always had a passion for trains. And that alone, in my opinion, will give me a big advantage.

IGO

PS I am not "plugging" BNSF per say. Just my point of view here.
BNSF is going to hire around 6,000 employees for TY&E over the next 4-5 yrs B)

BNSF_1088 said:
IGoDwnTwn said:
Go here:

www.bnsf.com

Check your  area of the country and see if they are hiring there. Or if you wanna move somewhere else, that could be a plus for ya. I start with 4 weeks of class-room training. That's about all that I know at this time.

IGO

PS I am not "plugging" BNSF per say.  Just my point of view here.
BNSF is going to hire around 6,000 employees for TY&E over the next 4-5 yrs B)
Good to hear....maybe trade email addeys....I could always use some tips!! Send me a PM!!!

THanks!!

IGO

Just wanted to give an update. It's official...got the letter today that I start with BNSF out of Aurora on Jan. Took all the tests and physicals and background checks. ANd they check good!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again. WIll keep you all updated!!

Jerry

IGoDwnTwn said:
Just wanted to give an update. It's official...got the letter today that I start with BNSF out of Aurora on Jan. Took all the tests and physicals and background checks. ANd they check good!!!!!!!!!

Jerry
Update:

I've had my first week at BNSF...WOW. Alot to this job!!! The best part is that I'm in the classroom or in training most of the winter months. We did go out the the yard friday (10 degrees outside). WE were out there about 6 hours total...with only a lunch break. Got a tour of a few engines and worked with a few rails cars...repairing knuckles and setting hand brakes...checking out the different tyle of switches and how to set them. There's alot to read!! WE got our GCOR, latern, radio, safety vest and gloves the first day of class. Got the CORA book today....!! We had homework every night with a quizz the next morning. If you do the homework and read it over a few times, it will stick. Just have to apply yourself!!! In general...I LOVE IT!!!!!

IGO

:D :D

BNSF_1088 said:
Get qulified to run the Metra trains out of Aurora. :D
Actually...that's gonna be part of the conductor training. Metra conductors, hostlers, yard work, on the road.....we'll be trained in it all.

You know a guy named Rich?....He has 5 years seniority and he a very good instructor.!!!!

IGO

Congratulations & Best of Luck with your job!!!!!!

It is always good to work at a job you really enjoy :D

IGoDwnTwn said:
IGoDwnTwn said:

Jerry
Update:

I've had my first week at BNSF...WOW. Alot to this job!!! The best part is that I'm in the classroom or in training most of the winter months. We did go out the the yard friday (10 degrees outside). WE were out there about 6 hours total...with only a lunch break. Got a tour of a few engines and worked with a few rails cars...repairing knuckles and setting hand brakes...checking out the different tyle of switches and how to set them. There's alot to read!! WE got our GCOR, latern, radio, safety vest and gloves the first day of class. Got the CORA book today....!! We had homework every night with a quizz the next morning. If you do the homework and read it over a few times, it will stick. Just have to apply yourself!!! In general...I LOVE IT!!!!!

IGO

:D :D
Second week completed:

We were in class all week. More details, more the rules and how they apply. We also had a "where you are test". The kinda that shows if your knowledge is about where they want it at this stage of training. I myself passed, also had a Haz Mat test and passed that one also. I receive my OTJ training schedule for the next 3 weeks. I'll be working mostly the yard and the Loco Repair shop on the third week. I'm off till tuesday..Wish me luck!!!

IGO

Update:

Third week completed. This was also my first week of OJT. Shoving and kicking and switching was the order of the week. Worked the yard learning about the freight cars and how they are listed on the work orders and put together making trains. I did alot of walking the first two nights (Tues/Wed). I just walked next the the instructor while he talked about what was happening and how it happens. On wednesday I got the basics down...throwing switches between "kicks". That made the job faster and easier for the two guys that I worked with. Thursday, friday and saturday I worked with a different crew...same job...just different folks. I was alot more involved and the evenings (2nd shift) went well. This week...same location...same yard job.....just different people and 1st shift!!!. I have no complaints...generally enjoying myself. PEACE!!!

IGO

Fourth week completed:

Nothing much to tell. More yard work this past week. Worked with a couple of guys that had atleast 30 years with the railroad.

This coming week...I will be working Cicero yard in Chicago. Much closer to home than the 50 miles one way to Aurora

Peace

Update: This is what passed us while we were waiting for a signal. Click on the link ...then click on "my documents". The files can only be seen with Quicktime

Trains Passing Us.....

I added an update with links to a couple of videos in the previous post

Thanks

IGO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back