Sleeper Car Attendent Tips

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But please don't fool yourself into thinking that it's ok not to tip because they're government employees. They are not! And therefore it's not a valid reason not to tip.
Wrong. I. Do. Not. Need. ANY. Reason. Not. To. Tip.

Last edited:
My dad had traveled a good bit by train overnight in the 50's and 60's. When I was taking my first overnight train trip in the 70's, he told me "insure a great trip by tipping the attendant when you board". I did not know until he explained it to me that was a standard routine on the Panama and had done wonders for him on the Broadway.

I followed his advice and have NEVER had a less than superior service. Sure, you take the risk of tipping someone who won't deserve it but I've never experienced that.

None of my sleeper trips have been more that two days and one night, but in recent times I slip the attendant a twenty when boarding ( telling them I want to make sure they get it in case I don't see them when getting off ) and ask them to come by after they have gotten everyone settled in for my meal times etc.

That $20 is the best money I ever spend. You would swear it's still the pullmen agency of the 50's.

I do everything possible to treat them with respect and express my love for trains. I even tell them not to worry about the bed and that I will do it myself. The more I say I will do, the more they TRY to do FOR me. They have always remembered that I like to eat late when they are not so rushed, I'm usually shown where extra supplies of everything is located etc. I've even found extra snacks and beverages in my room at night. And, as a smoker, they are great about knocking lightly and saying "smoke stop in 10 minutes" just loud enough so that if I'm awake I'll hear it but if sleeping it won't wake me up.

Some trips have been so wonderful that I tip them again when getting off the train and I slip the attendants in the diner a few bucks. when the cook used to be on the same level on the heritage equipment I've tipped the cook after a great meal and some good conversation about the old days and was treated the next morning to one of the best breakfasts I've ever had delivered to my room.

As a teacher, I'm by no means rich, but I can afford to tip more now than when I was in my 20's.

If someone doesn't want to tip the car attendant, thats a shame, but thanks for allowing them a reason to spend more time pampering me.........................

Last year on the Sunset my car cleared out at one stop and the older woman attendant was rushing to get a bunch of rooms ready for some boarding passengers. I helped her change sheets and reset a few rooms and take the trash out. She didn't want me to, but what the heck, I'm a train freak and enjoyed doing it. I may be a pompous, arrogant a$$ in normal life but on the train I'm like a 5 year old having a great time. I want to experience the BEST rail travel has to offer, not just statis quo.

< stepping off the soapbox>

Sorry for the rant :unsure:

But please don't fool yourself into thinking that it's ok not to tip because they're government employees. They are not! And therefore it's not a valid reason not to tip.
And if you had fully read my post, you would have seen that I did agree with you that you don't need a reason not to tip.

But you seemed to believe that the fact that Amtrak's employees are government workers is a valid reason for you not to tip. You said that, not I.

I'm merely pointing out that Amtrak workers are not government employees. If you don't want to tip, fine, don't tip. But please don't rationalize that it's ok not to tip because Amtrak workers are government employees. They aren’t.

I’m not trying to pick a fight with you or anything else. You have the right to tip or not to tip and you have the right to enjoy or not enjoy the service rendered because you did or didn’t tip.

All of Amtrak's preferred stock is owned by the U.S. federal government. The members of its board of directors are appointed by the President of the United States and are subject to confirmation by the United States Senate.
Close enough for government work.
& close enough for attendents tips
Hey, spelling counts and I still don't have to tip if i choose not to. Thank you.
That is correct, you don't have to tip if you don't want to, although you may not get good service because of it.

Alan, I totally agree with you! There have been times that we have sat with others (non-Amtrak) and they stiffed our server. I felt totally embarrased by their total lack of consideration. One time I even checked with the owner of the restaurant to see if someone I highly suspected to be the stiffing type left a tip or not and I was told they left nothing, nada! I gave our waitress an extra 5 bucks even though I was told by the owner that it was alright, I didn't have to do that! I believe that your waiter should be treated as you would want to be treated; if one does real swell, then do tip them well, :) but if service is down, tip to give them a frown! :(

Also, before my son Mike entered college he was working at a local restaurant. He was hired as a bartender, but a couple of weeks after he started, he was permitted to spend a night as a waiter. By his very first customers ever, he was told after he gave the couple their check that they were not giving him a tip because they didn't like the way the chef presented his dishes. They further told him that he did an ok job but were not going to leave a tip anyway.

My son was so angered over that first experienced that he never waited tables again or ever want's to, and just because someone had to be such an arrogant cheapskate! There was some poetic justice though. The man left his credit card on the table when he left and had to later drive back to pick it up! My son was real tempted to toss the card in the garbage but took the high road and didn't!

Wow, there is nothing like a good "tip or no-tip" thread to stir things up around here. Very lively!

Tippers tip and non-tippers don't. That is a fact of life for everyone in the service business. There is no law either way, so to each his or her own. I do think it would be helpful to new riders if Amtrak mentioned that tipping room and dining service people is customary. Since many new Amtrak riders equate a train to a plane, I'm sure many have no clue that tips are often given to people that seem, at least superficially, to be like flight attendants. Of course they could stop by AU for help in the midst of one or our tipping-storms. Then they would really be confused.

My dad had traveled a good bit by train overnight in the 50's and 60's. When I was taking my first overnight train trip in the 70's, he told me "insure a great trip by tipping the attendant when you board". I did not know until he explained it to me that was a standard routine on the Panama and had done wonders for him on the Broadway.
I followed his advice and have NEVER had a less than superior service. Sure, you take the risk of tipping someone who won't deserve it but I've never experienced that.

None of my sleeper trips have been more that two days and one night, but in recent times I slip the attendant a twenty when boarding ( telling them I want to make sure they get it in case I don't see them when getting off ) and ask them to come by after they have gotten everyone settled in for my meal times etc.

That $20 is the best money I ever spend. You would swear it's still the pullmen agency of the 50's.

I do everything possible to treat them with respect and express my love for trains. I even tell them not to worry about the bed and that I will do it myself. The more I say I will do, the more they TRY to do FOR me. They have always remembered that I like to eat late when they are not so rushed, I'm usually shown where extra supplies of everything is located etc. I've even found extra snacks and beverages in my room at night. And, as a smoker, they are great about knocking lightly and saying "smoke stop in 10 minutes" just loud enough so that if I'm awake I'll hear it but if sleeping it won't wake me up.

Some trips have been so wonderful that I tip them again when getting off the train and I slip the attendants in the diner a few bucks. when the cook used to be on the same level on the heritage equipment I've tipped the cook after a great meal and some good conversation about the old days and was treated the next morning to one of the best breakfasts I've ever had delivered to my room.

As a teacher, I'm by no means rich, but I can afford to tip more now than when I was in my 20's.

If someone doesn't want to tip the car attendant, thats a shame, but thanks for allowing them a reason to spend more time pampering me.........................

Last year on the Sunset my car cleared out at one stop and the older woman attendant was rushing to get a bunch of rooms ready for some boarding passengers. I helped her change sheets and reset a few rooms and take the trash out. She didn't want me to, but what the heck, I'm a train freak and enjoyed doing it. I may be a pompous, arrogant a$$ in normal life but on the train I'm like a 5 year old having a great time. I want to experience the BEST rail travel has to offer, not just statis quo.

< stepping off the soapbox>

Sorry for the rant :unsure:
I agree with the merits of tipping when you board or soon after, on long trips. Often for me it is when I request a bucket of ice for my sleeper. I tip for the first night and it sets a good tone in the attendent/passenger relationship .

Since many new Amtrak riders equate a train to a plane, I'm sure many have no clue that tips are often given to people that seem, at least superficially, to be like flight attendants.
Wow, you opened my eyes! :blink:

I have never once tipped a flight attendant and I have never once seen anyone else do it (well, except possibly for their tenth "hard" drink). However, I didn't hesitate to tip on the train even on my first journey.

I now wonder if many first-time train riders don't realize that tipping is part of the journey? I mean, as someone pointed out, no where does Amtrak ever mention that "tipping is optional".

All of Amtrak's preferred stock is owned by the U.S. federal government. The members of its board of directors are appointed by the President of the United States and are subject to confirmation by the United States Senate.

& close enough for attendents tips

Hey, spelling counts and I still don't have to tip if i choose not to. Thank you.
:p how,what,huh,oh, :unsure:

Better?

When I travelled on the EB from Essex to Chicago last Thursday, my sleeper attendant was Louis and he had a trainee, Annie. They were really really excellent, plenty of Mimosas coming my way and Louis was very helpful in other more 'railfan' style directions....

I was only aboard 1 night but I thought $20 was a fair thank you.

The rest of it is owned by private freight railroads. Government ownership does not make a government employee. Conrail was government owned. The government sold them. If the government privatized Amtrak, would you start tipping?

You need no reason at all not to tip. Correct! Very good.

You also need no reason to not post your opinion up onto a forum. By doing so, you are opening your opinion up to scrutiny by its members.

I have a problem with your not tipping- I feel it is philosophically wrong. I have a bigger problem with you basing your justification on a load of poppycock. I call that rationalizing, and I find it sickening.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a problem with your not tipping- I feel it is philosophically wrong. I have a bigger problem with you basing your justification on a load of poppycock. I call that rationalizing, and I find it sickening.

Amen!

On my x-country trip ( my only sleeper train trip), I, traveling alone, tipped between $5 & $10 per night because that was suggested on one discussion on this forum. I'm now wondering why a tip was expected for the service I received. The attendant turns your bed down & puts it up, has coffee in the morning, opens & closes the door at stops & sometimes has a news paper. If every sleeper tips like I did, the attendant makes a pretty good buck when adding & $20.00 an hr. pay. I'm not complaining but, from the attendants I had, I'd have to say they were over paid and over tipped. There were 2 attendants out of 7 that were deserving,IMO!
Clearly, you have never had Gul!

db

I now wonder if many first-time train riders don't realize that tipping is part of the journey? I mean, as someone pointed out, no where does Amtrak ever mention that "tipping is optional".

The first time, I tipped because the other couple at our table did. I might have left without tipping that first time, because "it's all included in the sleeper fare."

But all you have to do is open your eyes and you see that it is customary to tip.

Any thoughts on when to tip the sleeping car attendant? At the beginning of the trip? At the end? Day to day?

--chh

Any thoughts on when to tip the sleeping car attendant? At the beginning of the trip? At the end? Day to day?
If the attendant successfully handles a special request, I would tip the attendant right then for that. For example, if I request to be fed in my room, I would tip him/her a "waitstaff table" tip, plus a "room service" tip.

If the attendant just did the basic services, I would tip at the end. Usually, they are right at the exit door when I am departing and I can easily slip him/her a $10 (or $20).

For example, if I request to be fed in my room, I would tip him/her a "waitstaff table" tip, plus a "room service" tip.

I have never requested that an attendant actually feed me. But, if I did I would tip really really well for that service!

Maybe this sounds too european, but why on earth should you tip anyone for doing his/her job well? Isn't that what they're hired for? I never ever in my life got a tip for doing my job well as a journalist...
i pretty much agree. part of the situation is that a lot of american service companies underpay their employees and expect the tips the employee recieves to bring them up to a livable wage. in my job, tipping isn't a part either

Maybe this sounds too european, but why on earth should you tip anyone for doing his/her job well? Isn't that what they're hired for? I never ever in my life got a tip for doing my job well as a journalist...
i pretty much agree. part of the situation is that a lot of american service companies underpay their employees and expect the tips the employee recieves to bring them up to a livable wage. in my job, tipping isn't a part either
In my country we have labour unions to bring employees to a livable wage instead of train passengers! Always thought those kind of unions existed in the States as well...

In my country we have labour unions to bring employees to a livable wage instead of train passengers! Always thought those kind of unions existed in the States as well...
Aloha

Tipping is not wage connected, whether the worker is union or not, (in a perfect world) but remember Tipping is a "gratuity" for something (service) you receive above and beyond the "duty to perform" from his employer. Remember as Smokey the Bear say's "only you can ..." :) decide that. Even if most of us have developed standards. If you did the same thing for someone else, what would you expect?

Tipping is not wage connected, whether the worker is union or not, (in a perfect world) but remember Tipping is a "gratuity" for something (service) you receive above and beyond the "duty to perform" from his employer.
Except for waitstaff because their employers are legally allowed to pay them below, far below, minimum wage. I think it is still below $2/hr. Tough, for Amtrak SA's, I agree, they are paid full wages.

A little tipping goes a long way on amtrak... trust me. Feel free to argue weather its right or wrong to tip, weather amtrak employees are "government" or not or whatever else you want to say but know this... If you tip you will get better service on amtrak. I guarantee it.

Tipping is not wage connected, whether the worker is union or not, (in a perfect world) but remember Tipping is a "gratuity" for something (service) you receive above and beyond the "duty to perform" from his employer. Remember as Smokey the Bear say's "only you can ..." :) decide that. Even if most of us have developed standards. If you did the same thing for someone else, what would you expect?
Very true.... until you're in a party of X or more in some restaurants! Thanks to the dead beats that have brought it on by totally inappreciative tipping practices, your going to be gratuitive weither you like it or not when the establishment mandates it by writing X% gratutity into your check! <_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back