Sleeper Car Attendent Tips

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very true.... until you're in a party of X or more in some restaurants! Thanks to the dead beats that have brought it on by totally inappreciative tipping practices, your going to be gratuitive weither you like it or not when the establishment mandates it by writing X% gratutity into your check! <_<
Back in my table-waiting college days, that "tag the check for parties of 5 or more" policy was greatly appreciated by me. I also like it as a patron; in a larger group of people, there's invariably one or two tightwads who throw off the bill by not kicking in for their fair share of tax and tip. The auto-gratuity protects the other members of the party.

We also practiced discriminate "tagging" of the check for smaller parties based on certain factors. For example: the British! Not accustomed to tipping for alcohol? You certainly would be at my table.

Very true.... until you're in a party of X or more in some restaurants! Thanks to the dead beats that have brought it on by totally inappreciative tipping practices, your going to be gratuitive weither you like it or not when the establishment mandates it by writing X% gratutity into your check! <_<
I've also encountered at least one person who said he would have left a larger tip than what was mandated if only it hadn't been mandated for large parties.

I've also encountered at least one person who said he would have left a larger tip than what was mandated if only it hadn't been mandated for large parties.
Now you know two people like that Joel. :) I'm that way.

In fact there was a Hibachi resturant that my wife and I used to go to all the time up until a few years ago. They instituted a mandatory tip for all parties, regardless of size. The bulk of their clientel were notoriously bad tippers, even though most had the money to do it and then some.

However, because the manager knew us and knew what I would normally tip, he'd always override the computer for our check to stop the manadatory tip. Then maybe two or three months before we stopped going to that resturant, it was too far away and a decent one finally opened up much closer to where we live, they finally got smart. They reprogrammed their system to not only include the mandatory tip, but also a blank line where one could write in an additional tip above and beyond the mandatory one.

Back in my table-waiting college days, that "tag the check for parties of 5 or more" policy was greatly appreciated by me. I also like it as a patron; in a larger group of people, there's invariably one or two tightwads who throw off the bill by not kicking in for their fair share of tax and tip. The auto-gratuity protects the other members of the party.
Reminds me of when back several years ago I brought in a group of about 20 people to my favorite dinner following a wake.

I suspected the two people that I was (sarcism on) lucky enough to have sit next to me (sarcism off) would not bother to leave any tip. After everyone left I asked the owner if they left a tip on their credit card since they left none at the table. He checked and sure enough he said no! I took out a $5 bill and told him to give that to the waitress who definitely deserved no to be stiffed. He told me I didn't have to do that, but I insisted!

My offer was sincere without any thought of personal gain from it, but since he has offered me free banana nut, pumpkin or zuccini breads about 3 or 4 times a year since. Sometimes you get back plus for what you give!

My offer was sincere without any thought of personal gain from it, but since he has offered me free banana nut, pumpkin or zuccini breads about 3 or 4 times a year since. Sometimes you get back plus for what you give!
That's very true. Two of the resturants that my wife and I frequent often slip us a drink on the house.

They reprogrammed their system to not only include the mandatory tip, but also a blank line where one could write in an additional tip above and beyond the mandatory one.
That's just a rip off.... How much tip do you need to give?

If you have a mandatory tip you may as well just include it in the menu prices.

They reprogrammed their system to not only include the mandatory tip, but also a blank line where one could write in an additional tip above and beyond the mandatory one.
That's just a rip off.... How much tip do you need to give?

If you have a mandatory tip you may as well just include it in the menu prices.
Like it or not, doesn't the term "full disclosure" have some bearing here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back