sandals?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On a plane, I always wear flip flops. They're so much more comfortable, and they make getting through the checkpoint significantly smoother. In the unlikely event that the plane crashed, I have a pretty good feeling that I wouldn't be concerned about my footwear. Mostly because there's a pretty safe bet that I'd be dead. On the even more unlikely event that I survived, I still think that my footwear would be the least of my concerns at that point.

As for Trains, I've never really thought about it too much. I've tended to opt for comfort and go sandals/flip flops there, too, but I'm much more open to the arguments and concerns raised re: flip flops on a train as opposed to on a plane.

On a plane, I always wear flip flops. They're so much more comfortable, and they make getting through the checkpoint significantly smoother. In the unlikely event that the plane crashed, I have a pretty good feeling that I wouldn't be concerned about my footwear. Mostly because there's a pretty safe bet that I'd be dead. On the even more unlikely event that I survived, I still think that my footwear would be the least of my concerns at that point.

As for Trains, I've never really thought about it too much. I've tended to opt for comfort and go sandals/flip flops there, too, but I'm much more open to the arguments and concerns raised re: flip flops on a train as opposed to on a plane.
1st bold: Really? Seems to me that a lot of people survive plane crashes. How many survived the one at SFO. And two that didn't were not killed by the crash, but by accident when they were covered by the foam and a truck ran over them.

2nd bold: Don't suppose there'd be hot and/or sharp objects to step on after a crash. Hmm?

There is a foot injury danger when stepping between cars
Correct. Alec, it's easy for a sandal or flip-flip to get caught between the sliding plates. Personally, I step over the plates, even if I'm wearing sturdy shoes, if only because it's more stable. Still, that's one of the big reasons, along with things like the automated doors, luggage falling, how easy it is to trip in sandals when the train lurches, etc.

Now, with all that said, I do wear slip-on shoes at night when walking a few feet from my room to the restroom, so I'm not the best spokesperson. Do as I say, not as I do, so to speak. ;) When I'm actually walking around the train or up/down stairs, though, I wear boots or shoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest steel-toed boots. :)

Seriously, Birkenstocks are fine.

Flip-flops, I would avoid on the train. I'd also avoid spike heels, and I'd particularly avoid mules.

I suggest steel-toed boots. :)

Seriously, Birkenstocks are fine.

Flip-flops, I would avoid on the train. I'd also avoid spike heels, and I'd particularly avoid mules.
What if someone steps on you by accident? Or what if something gets stuck in that open toe slit?

Sorry, I still think anything open-toe is NOT acceptable on the train. I never wear them when travelling, and I rarely wear them at all anywhere.

Conversely, I'd rather be stepped on by a flip flop rather than a steel toed boot. :lol:

I am all for the freedom of passengers choosing to wear the footwear of their choice. As long as they understand the potential risk, its their feet and their business. We don't need big brother dictating tous what shoes are allowed on Amtrak. Amtrak should just post a notice or sign informing of the potential problem with open toe shoes and leave it at that.

"Don't wear Sandals, you can't afford the Scandals!"-- Bob Dylan

As was said be careful passing between Cars and going up/down Stairs! Id save the flip Flops for the Shower and Room! Most Crew Members make Announcements about wearing Shoes on the train and being careful when walking between and through the cars!

As for a Dress Code: The LSA in the Diner will usually make Folks return to their Room/Seat and put on Clothes if they show up in Pajamas or Night Clothes! Same for Bedroom Slippers, they want you to wear Shoes or at least Sandals! ^_^

Conversely, I'd rather be stepped on by a flip flop rather than a steel toed boot. :lol:
That's why sneakers are the best compromise, if you're in sneakers and get stepped on by sneakers, it won't hurt as bad as wearing sandals, while if you step on someone by accident, he's not going to hust that much either.

1st bold: Really? Seems to me that a lot of people survive plane crashes. How many survived the one at SFO. And two that didn't were not killed by the crash, but by accident when they were covered by the foam and a truck ran over them.

2nd bold: Don't suppose there'd be hot and/or sharp objects to step on after a crash. Hmm?
The Asiana crash was an extreme outlier. Of all the hull loss incidents I can think of in the last 15 years in the US (12), I can think of three that had survivors (Comair in Lexington, US Airways in NYC, and Asiana in SFO) and two that had more than one or two survivors (one survivor in the Comair one).

Amtrak requires that shoes be worn in the food service cars because it is an FDA requirement and for sanitary reasons, common sense.

Amtrak policy is that you wear shoes when moving about the train because, one, we'd like that our passengers travel safely and are not injured during the journey, and two, because when you are injured because you didn't follow the policy you will still find a lawyer and sue Amtrak hoping to win $50 million.

Amtrak requires that shoes be worn in the food service cars because it is an FDA requirement and for sanitary reasons, common sense.
No kidding I'm so tired of people eating with their feet. :lol:

I wore Birkenstocks on my last cross country Amtrak trip too. Works for me every trip, although nobody dropped anything on my foot. On the other hand, even if I had shoes on, it would hurt like hell. If I were traveling by train in the winter, I would wear sneakers.

You're tired of people eating with their feet?I like that one!

The Asiana crash was an extreme outlier. Of all the hull loss incidents I can think of in the last 15 years in the US (12), I can think of three that had survivors (Comair in Lexington, US Airways in NYC, and Asiana in SFO) and two that had more than one or two survivors (one survivor in the Comair one).
That's hull loss incidents in the United States. There are other incidents that involve evacuations that didn't result in hull losses, or involve flights that start here and crash elsewhere, for which I'd like to be

wearing proper shoes.

Examples: Continental Flight 1404, American Airlines 331, those Southwest flights that lost cabin pressure, etc.

Heck, I can't count the number of connections I have had to run to catch, and I don't run well in sandals. But go ahead, do what you want.

My particular favorite reason to dress properly is from an Amtrak trip from Minneapolis to Minot in early November. An early blizzard had closed the Minot airport, and dozens of airline passengers whose flights were canceled had to take the overnight Empire Builder to get home. There is nothing that makes me feel warmer than watching a man walk through 8 inches of snow in 10 degree weather in shorts, no coat, and flipflops, when I have on a winter parka, gloves, hat, and proper boots. I'm sure that he didn't see the point of dressing properly either, because he was expecting to be met at the Minot airport.

That's hull loss incidents in the United States. There are other incidents that involve evacuations that didn't result in hull losses, or involve flights that start here and crash elsewhere, for which I'd like to be

wearing proper shoes.

Examples: Continental Flight 1404, American Airlines 331, those Southwest flights that lost cabin pressure, etc.

Heck, I can't count the number of connections I have had to run to catch, and I don't run well in sandals. But go ahead, do what you want.

My particular favorite reason to dress properly is from an Amtrak trip from Minneapolis to Minot in early November. An early blizzard had closed the Minot airport, and dozens of airline passengers whose flights were canceled had to take the overnight Empire Builder to get home. There is nothing that makes me feel warmer than watching a man walk through 8 inches of snow in 10 degree weather in shorts, no coat, and flipflops, when I have on a winter parka, gloves, hat, and proper boots. I'm he didn't see the point of dressing properly either, because he was expecting to be met at the Minot airport.
I fully agree with Ispolkom on this. That man lived in the north, yet made such a poor desicion for clothes on a blizzard day.

FWIW, around here you used to see a lot of Birkenstocks worn with heavy wool socks. Well, it *is* Ithaca.

I once got caught in MSP when they had their largest single day snowfall of 30" in October. The warmest clothing I had was my HS letter sweater - and I had no socks. A buddy lent me a pair of socks, and when I got to the station I used the old hobo trick of crumpling up newspaper (traps air and insulates) while waiting the nine hours for EB to arrive. Wasn't much for dress for success (never been my problem anyway) but I was warm in the drafty station.

Now I wear Crocs most of the time. The winter insulated ones are actually pretty warm.

Crocs. The shoe of choice whenever I travel. Rail. Air. Sea. Backpacking.

EZ on EZ off for TSA. Super lightweight, closed-toe, ugly-as-sin, so no one tends to mess with you, go great with any fashion.

Kick-em off (i usually wear socks, so don't go ballistic) while at 35K feet, so swelling a non-issue. Only problem is snow.

Snow is a No-Go for Crocs. Mine are Lime Green, and Hot Pink.

Just learned that the last pair of pink Crocs I had "lost", were in fact "covertly disposed of" by my wife.

She is no longer talking to her friend whose "loose lips sunk her ship....." The ruse lasted almost a year. Of course her plan was doomed from the start, as I PROMPTLY went out and bought a replacement pair that next weekend!

Crocs. Crocs. Crocs. Gawd how I luv those fugly shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back