sandals?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like turtles.

And I also suspect if you got your toe misplaced just once, a thin layer of leather or plastic would provide little protection in the 'chopping off' process.

Well, look at it this way, if you followed the rules and wore shoes, then you might have a case for a lawsuit. No chance with open toes shoes.

I have not yet been on Amtrak , but every other train I've ever seen has two metal plates, one attached to each coach , one resting on the other. Sure, they slide against each other as the train moves. Anyone with half a brain takes a bigger than usual step to avoid the area where the plates meet. Is this a big deal? Is it less safe than driving? I don't think so.

There is some level of obsession in this country with eliminating infinitesimal risks while leaving the big risks intact.

If you lose a toe, should you sue Amtrak or sue your parents?

I almost always wear a variation of these (in black) as my go-to summer sandal, and no one has ever told me not to wear them on the train.

The horror - open toed and high heeled! :help:

MOIRA-2T.jpg

That's part of the problem - too many people have less than half a brain. And many people (and many lawyers) are lawsuit happy. :(

Have you noticed when there is some kind of accident (car, train, plane, etc...), the following are sued:

The manufacturer of the car/train/plane

The airline/Amtrak

The city/town/village of _____

If a plane crash, the airport of ______

The state of ______

The driver/engineer/pilot

Etc..., Etc...

What do most of these have to do with the accident? :huh: And if you fall (like on the street, in the train or on the plane), it certainly is NEVER your fault - it is someone else! So they must be sued!

Kneen sandals (easy to take off and put on, hard plate to protect the toes) work fine for me. But I agree with whomever noted that very few shoes, short of combat boots, would protect toes if they really get caught between metal plates between cars.

I wear sandals all the time. Velcro closures on the top of the foot...not slip ons or flip flops.
Our CSA on EB last week said he saw a lady get a toe hung a few months ago.
That accident is a great reward for stupidity!

I see many of you folks saying Flip Flops are ok for me, or, I know how to walk. But what if you mistepped or got your toe misplaced just once. Well, you would almost loose your toe, want to sue everyone for not tellings you its NOT ok to walk around in flip flops. All it takes is one mistep and your dead meat. I imagine a toe between 2 cars at 79 MPH does not feel too good.
I was in a station that had AMR Turbo Prop airplanes. The Nbr. 2 engine was rotatating and (co pilots side) not fast, just for ground power. A young lady, who was a ramper for American Eagle was joking around and walked into the engine blade. You can imagine what happened.

Why tickle fate? Just wear shoes when crossing car to car, just do what is asked of you and arrive with 2 good feet.
Agreed! Don't mess around on a train, as I said before, don't wear light-duty footwear on heavy-duty equipment!

That's part of the problem - too many people have less than half a brain. And many people (and many lawyers) are lawsuit happy. :(
Have you noticed when there is some kind of accident (car, train, plane, etc...), the following are sued:

The manufacturer of the car/train/plane

The airline/Amtrak

The city/town/village of _____

If a plane crash, the airport of ______

The state of ______

The driver/engineer/pilot

Etc..., Etc...

What do most of these have to do with the accident? :huh: And if you fall (like on the street, in the train or on the plane), it certainly is NEVER your fault - it is someone else! So they must be sued!
I know, right? The same thing happens with Greyhound, when people sue them just to sqeeze money out! Just becasue you won't sue Amtrak for losing a toe dosen't mean you should wear anything open-toed on the big heavy steel train!

I'm just thinking, wow.

I can't think of any situation where "shoes" are required by some sort of health code that sandals, flip-flops, etc don't qualify. In any case, such ordinances are rare. Most requirements for customers to wear shirts and shoes are instituted by a business and not by law. Amtrak is a business. Their requirements to wear shoes are in that spirit of a business requiring shoes for aesthetic reasons. This guy researched cities that had requirements for shoes in places that served food. A lot were in Massachusetts.

http://www.ahcuah.com/bf/govshoe.htm

Short of steel-toed boots (and I own a pair) nothing is going to protect one's toes if there's anything that could lop off a toe. I wear running shoes all the time, and they're hardly any protection against toe injury.

Now Fort Lauderdale apparently has a law that requires that footwear we worn at city owned stadium (used for Spring training) - sufficient to protect from broken glass.

Exactly. Closed-toed shoes don't mean you won't lose a toe or foot. Sure, they can help prevent that, but I really don't feel like lacing up my boots over my bare feet to walk six feet to the bathroom. I'll take my chances with my flip-flops or slippers.

The key to safely transiting between cars is to be FULLY aware of what you are doing. When the first door opens I grab the Candy Cane Bar and push off being careful to make sure my feet are nowhere near the Striker Plate Boundary when they cross. At the same time I am grabbing the Candy Cane of the next car and pulling myself across as the door opens. Those bars are clearly marked for a purpose and good Conductors regularly remind folks to use them. Safe, smooth and easy.

Aloha

I volunteer at the Nevada Southern Railway Museum. Our track was built in 1931 for freight. Out top speed in maybe 20 mph, and we only travel 3.5 miles and return. Our cars range in age from about 50 to 103 years old. I explain this because the equipment and track is not smooth.

On one trip a "mother" was encouraging her approximately 6 year old son to stand on the 2 moving plates. :eek: when after I threatened her that I was going to notify the conductor (which I did) if they didn't return to their seat she complained to him that I was picking on her. He informed her that if they got blood on his train they would have to clean it up.

Exactly. Closed-toed shoes don't mean you won't lose a toe or foot. Sure, they can help prevent that, but I really don't feel like lacing up my boots over my bare feet to walk six feet to the bathroom. I'll take my chances with my flip-flops or slippers.
Even if you don't get your toes cut off, it's still a lot easier to have an accident with open-toed rather then closed-toed shoes. What if you get bumped into or stepped on?

I don't think recommendations against sandals are to keep toes from being sliced off. I think it is to keep people from tripping on loose shoes that fall off easily or get caught on uneven moving surfaces. That doesn't apply to OP's hiking sandals, and also doesn't apply to Sorcha's 6 feet to the bathroom.

Wearing headphones or talking on a cell phone while walking through the cars is probably more dangerous anyway ... from lack of attention!

(A sandal wearer)

If there is an accident with a passenger and the car end plates the conductor is put on the spot:He must decide whether to call an ambulance or a tow truck!
Can anyone cite one instance where something like this did in fact actually happen? I can't find anything, anywhere on the Internet. I'm jonesing for some medical documentation and images!

Many thanks for the replies!
I will try to keep clear of the reputed toe-chopping machine, but in many years of train travel in other countries, I have never seen one. Maybe it was specially designed for Amtrak.
I doubt you would. It seems to be a USA only paranoia about leaving the train with less toes than when you got on.

Two metal plate are in motion, while losing a toe might be a stretch, stepping on (across) the two plate with out foot gear can cause you to lose a bit of skin as it will suck in some and rip it off your foot. Yes that going to hurt, and there will be blood.

Good advise given above on how to cross. Just adding not to hang out in that area. I have see way too much daylight coming in when the train bounces around in a curve.

Just avoid all the stress and don't wear open-toed shoes on the train! Or bus, plane, or car for that matter. What's the big deal? Just don't do it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just avoid all the stress and don't wear open-toed shoes on the train! Or bus, plane, or car for that matter. What's the big deal? Just don't do it!
Prudent advice -- even though crossing between cars isn't dangerous to feet if and only if you watch your step really carefully and use the grab irons (those hand-holds with the red-and-white stripes)

And - going wildly off-topic here - even if your sandals were the ancient Roman combat boots it would be prudent to use more secure footwear when traveling.

Prudent advice -- even though crossing between cars isn't dangerous to feet if and only if you watch your step really carefully and use the grab irons (those hand-holds with the red-and-white stripes)

And - going wildly off-topic here - even if your sandals were the ancient Roman combat boots it would be prudent to use more secure footwear when traveling.
And not just that, but you could slip and fall in the aisles and stairs, etc. I'm sure no one wants to get bumped, stepped on, then fall off the stairs! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear Birkenstock sandals on the train usually. I like to be able to take them off easily. I think flip flops might be pushing it a little, just my opinion. I'd be afraid of slipping; the bottoms of flip flops get pretty slick after awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back