sandals?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wear Birkenstock sandals on the train usually. I like to be able to take them off easily. I think flip flops might be pushing it a little, just my opinion. I'd be afraid of slipping; the bottoms of flip flops get pretty slick after awhile.
No offence, but it really isn't that smart wear sandals in the train. Something that can be taken off easily is too light and undependable for use on the train. Anything good enough to not slip while walking would be quite heavy and hard to take off.

Plus, most sandals don't offer arch support and are poor for foot health due to the constant urge to grip onto the sandal. So they're not a good idea anywhere, but even worse on the train.

A toe truck? :huh: ;)
628x471.jpg

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Quid-pro-toe-Truck-Bon-signs-to-get-a-new-life-1165630.php

Last edited by a moderator:
HAHA, love the toe trucks!

Birkenstocks have a lot of support, have you seen them, Swadian? And they have rubber tire-like tread on them -- no problems going from car to car. Even if I kicked my foot really high, they would not fly off. The only danger I could see is from something dropping on my foot.

Birkenstocks have worked for my past three cross country train trips. Jeez, I am going on a long trip next week - now you are making me thing about getting hard shoes which I don't even have! Unless you count my Nikes and New Balance shoes, but they are not particularly hard.

The only danger I could see is from something dropping on my foot.
Or someone stepping on your toes. I did that to some poor lady on the Canadian -- not on purpose, of course, but because the train jerked just as I was walking past her -- and since I'm a big guy and she was in sandals, I'm sure that she had bruises as a result. I ended up being seated across from her at the next meal, and she just barely talked to me. So I would encourage everyone to wear protective footwear!

Or someone stepping on your toes. I did that to some poor lady on the Canadian -- not on purpose, of course, but because the train jerked just as I was walking past her -- and since I'm a big guy and she was in sandals, I'm sure that she had bruises as a result. I ended up being seated across from her at the next meal, and she just barely talked to me. So I would encourage everyone to wear protective footwear!
Oy vey, Ch. I guess I have to bring real shoes. Gosh darn it! I've gotten away with sandals and no real shoes since May. *Sniff* That means I can't show off my painted toesie nails on the train. *Sniff*

And gym shoes will look mighty clunky with the cute dress I was going to wear. Double *sniff*.

HAHA, love the toe trucks!
Birkenstocks have a lot of support, have you seen them, Swadian? And they have rubber tire-like tread on them -- no problems going from car to car. Even if I kicked my foot really high, they would not fly off. The only danger I could see is from something dropping on my foot.

Birkenstocks have worked for my past three cross country train trips. Jeez, I am going on a long trip next week - now you are making me thing about getting hard shoes which I don't even have! Unless you count my Nikes and New Balance shoes, but they are not particularly hard.
You should probably but some hard shoes anyway. It's always useful to have some more durable shows hanging out in case you need it.

Plus, things like this happen a lot, too. On a train that's rocking and rolling, it's easy to get stepped on for a mojor injury. I also hate those traps on the top, they feel hard and uncomfortable when you walk around in them, so I rarely ever wear open-toed shoes at all.

Personally, I just save myself the trouble and wear sneakers on the train. Versatile shoes, especially for hiking around. Same thing on the bus.

I'm a slouch I guess. Even when my son and I have gone to Yosemite, Big Sur, Sonoma, Ashland, Oregon (side trips from where he lives in the Bay Area) I have worn sandals. :blush:

Flip flops should only be worn at the beach or public showers. At least that's my opinion. Hate me if you must.
I Agree! I don't hate you! There is so much hate already, why hate on a guy that hates on flip flops. I hate hate anyways, Mike, don't you? PS, I hate flip flops too! Flip Flops on a train, in a plane, in church, at dinner, proly at the MTV Awards tonight, in an office (yuk), at the store, through the door, flip flop, flip flop on the floor.

Let's go back to the 50's where people dressed up to travel. And white gloves for the ladies ;)

Oy vey, Ch. I guess I have to bring real shoes. Gosh darn it! I've gotten away with sandals and no real shoes since May. *Sniff* That means I can't show off my painted toesie nails on the train. *Sniff*

And gym shoes will look mighty clunky with the cute dress I was going to wear. Double *sniff*.
Well Glass Slippers would look nice and afford more protection, NOT :lol:

Okay, Engineer, it's decided then. I'm wearing my glass high heels ;) ;) ;)

While I'm a huge believer in the "Salt Life" philosophy of keep it cool, and chill, and rarely ware anything other than flip flops when not at work, or otherwise forced to dress in something resembling decency, I do wear decent footwear when travelling. Not because of the car end plates, or because someone might step on me-I can avoid one, and live through the other-But in my work, I spend a ton of time travelling, by plane, train, and even ship once. Could I have worn flip flops? Sure. Did I? No way. Not for the reasons one might think, but for the reasons no one likes to think about-Accidents and incidents. If I am on a plane, or train, or car, and there is an emergency-A derailment, crash landing, or other accident, I really don't want to be evacuating a railcar, plane, or any other vehicle wearing flip flops. There will be shart metal. There will be broken glass. There will be rocks, hot pavement, etc. I want to be able to get away, without having to tip toe. Having spent 8 years flying in the Air Force, and having to make 3 or 4 ground evacuations from the aircraft due to real-world emergencies, I make a point to always travel in pants and shoes I can run in and not lose them in an impact. The pants in lieu of shorts (especially while flying) are to protect against flash fires common in crashes. While I don't wear nomex flame retardant suits, I do consider what I'm wearing, from a safety perspective-I want to ensure I have every available advantage, should an incident occur. Yes, it's highly unlikely I will ever have to exit a buring aircraft, train on it's side, etc, but if I do, I know I have good shoes on to run, clothing to provide a reasonable level of protection, and a pin flashlight at a minimum, to help me get out. Color me paranoid, but as often as I travel, the odds that I'll be involved in some serious survival situation, are very low, but still very much greater than someone who travels once or twice a year. When I book hotel rooms, I request the 2nd floor when available, off the street level to avoid someone coming into the window, but low enough to get out if I had to, easily. If I end up higher, I typically have a plan to get out from high up as well. I'm not paranoid, but I am prepared!

While I'm a huge believer in the "Salt Life" philosophy of keep it cool, and chill, and rarely ware anything other than flip flops when not at work, or otherwise forced to dress in something resembling decency, I do wear decent footwear when travelling. Not because of the car end plates, or because someone might step on me-I can avoid one, and live through the other-But in my work, I spend a ton of time travelling, by plane, train, and even ship once. Could I have worn flip flops? Sure. Did I? No way. Not for the reasons one might think, but for the reasons no one likes to think about-Accidents and incidents. If I am on a plane, or train, or car, and there is an emergency-A derailment, crash landing, or other accident, I really don't want to be evacuating a railcar, plane, or any other vehicle wearing flip flops. There will be shart metal. There will be broken glass. There will be rocks, hot pavement, etc. I want to be able to get away, without having to tip toe. Having spent 8 years flying in the Air Force, and having to make 3 or 4 ground evacuations from the aircraft due to real-world emergencies, I make a point to always travel in pants and shoes I can run in and not lose them in an impact. The pants in lieu of shorts (especially while flying) are to protect against flash fires common in crashes. While I don't wear nomex flame retardant suits, I do consider what I'm wearing, from a safety perspective-I want to ensure I have every available advantage, should an incident occur. Yes, it's highly unlikely I will ever have to exit a buring aircraft, train on it's side, etc, but if I do, I know I have good shoes on to run, clothing to provide a reasonable level of protection, and a pin flashlight at a minimum, to help me get out. Color me paranoid, but as often as I travel, the odds that I'll be involved in some serious survival situation, are very low, but still very much greater than someone who travels once or twice a year. When I book hotel rooms, I request the 2nd floor when available, off the street level to avoid someone coming into the window, but low enough to get out if I had to, easily. If I end up higher, I typically have a plan to get out from high up as well. I'm not paranoid, but I am prepared!
Excellent explanation! And so true.

Yes, it's highly unlikely I will ever have to exit a buring aircraft, train on it's side, etc, but if I do, I know I have good shoes on to run, clothing to provide a reasonable level of protection, and a pin flashlight at a minimum, to help me get out.
It is highly unlikely that I will win the Nobel Peace Prize, but just in case I do and there are photographers at the next stop, I always wear my dress shoes.

Exactly. Closed-toed shoes don't mean you won't lose a toe or foot. Sure, they can help prevent that, but I really don't feel like lacing up my boots over my bare feet to walk six feet to the bathroom. I'll take my chances with my flip-flops or slippers.
Even if you don't get your toes cut off, it's still a lot easier to have an accident with open-toed rather then closed-toed shoes. What if you get bumped into or stepped on?
In those six feet between my roomette and the bathroom at 3:00 AM?

Not worried.

Exactly. Closed-toed shoes don't mean you won't lose a toe or foot. Sure, they can help prevent that, but I really don't feel like lacing up my boots over my bare feet to walk six feet to the bathroom. I'll take my chances with my flip-flops or slippers.
Even if you don't get your toes cut off, it's still a lot easier to have an accident with open-toed rather then closed-toed shoes. What if you get bumped into or stepped on?
In those six feet between my roomette and the bathroom at 3:00 AM?

Not worried.
Oh gosh, Sorcha, I wear my jammy bottoms and a t-shirt to the bathroom at 3 a.m. With my Birkenstocks ;)

Yes, it's highly unlikely I will ever have to exit a buring aircraft, train on it's side, etc, but if I do, I know I have good shoes on to run, clothing to provide a reasonable level of protection, and a pin flashlight at a minimum, to help me get out.
It is highly unlikely that I will win the Nobel Peace Prize, but just in case I do and there are photographers at the next stop, I always wear my dress shoes.
You never know! There might be photographers. I suggest a suit and tie. ;)

Bravo! Especially when I look at those fool who wear "cute" and "stylish" clothing and footwear on the dangerous Megabus, it's gonna send a bunch more degradation piling on to Megabus riders. Sure, people think we Greyhound riders are dirty and suspicous, but we at least know to take safety over appearence.

Junebug, there's already too many people wearing "cute dresses" and open-toed shoes on the Megabus, don't make the issues on Amtrak! Sneakers won't land you the same problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back