sandals?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SeeBuyFly

I understand there are some footwear rules on Amtrak but I can't find the exact language. I don't normally wear closed shoes in the summer and so don't want to carry them. I fully realize that flip-flops would be dangerous; what I would wear is 'hiking' sandals. The soles are at least as solid as those of shoes, but of course they are open-toed. Is this a problem?

I guess I'm not so much asking whether any posters disapprove, but whether the rules require closed-toe shoes for crossing from one coach to the other, and whether such rules are enforced.

Many thanks,

I understand there are some footwear rules on Amtrak but I can't find the exact language. I don't normally wear closed shoes in the summer and so don't want to carry them. I fully realize that flip-flops would be dangerous; what I would wear is 'hiking' sandals. The soles are at least as solid as those of shoes, but of course they are open-toed. Is this a problem? I guess I'm not so much asking whether any posters disapprove, but whether the rules require closed-toe shoes for crossing from one coach to the other, and whether such rules are enforced. Many thanks,
I wear Nike or Reebok All Condition Gear Sandals while on Trains and have never had any problems nor had any OBS or Conductor tell me not to wear them! They do make constant announcements about not going Barefoot, nor wearing Flip Flops when you pass between Cars since the Plates in the Vestibules can Bite! :eek: Just be sure and watch your step when walking on a train! If its Cold wear Sneakers, thats my Winter Go To Footwear!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just arrived home this morning on the California Zephyr with my daughters. It never crossed my mind that wearing flip-flops wasn't a good idea but I can see what you mean, it probably wasn't a good choice of footwear for them. Is it simply a suggestion or an actual rule not to wear open-toed shoes on the train? If it is actually a rule I didn't see or hear any enforcement.

I once searched for any evidence of someone losing a toe because they weren't wearing closed toe shoes on Amtrtak.

To no avail. I wear flip flops and carefully watch my step between cars. No one ever said I couldn't wear them and plenty of staff saw them on my feet.

Before our last trip on the CS I remember reading something about open toe shoes not being allowed. I wore sandals any way as I always have. I bring flip flops for going to the head at night.

Before our last trip on the CS I remember reading something about open toe shoes not being allowed. I wore sandals any way as I always have. I bring flip flops for going to the head at night.
From the Amtrak OBS Handbook:

When moving about the train, hold on to the overhead luggage
rack and the seatbacks for stability. When passing through the
vestibules between cars, please use the handrails and when
moving about the train, shoes must be worn at all times.

but what constitutes a shoe?

I've never been told anything about sandals, I usually wear them on the train, unless I'm going to dinner. Its a lot easier to just slip sandals on in the middle of the night for a quick bathroom or snack run.

Per the TSA, flip-flops are "shoes". I had to take mine off when going through security. ;)

Anyway, I wouldn't wear flip-flops when walking between cars, but I do wear them at night when walking just a few steps to the restroom on the top level of the sleepers. If I'm going between cars or going downstairs, I wear flats, which are easy to slip on and off but protect my toes and stay on my feet a lot more securely.

One time I was wearing a pair of hard soled Moccasins and when I passed through the Diner, one of the servers said I couldn't wear socks! Immediately the LSA jumped in her face and said those are proper Moccasins and he can wear them anywhere he wants (she had seen them earlier and was curious where to get a pair). The server immediately disappeared into the ghosts of the former Espee passengers who enjoyed that Diner many years back.

The shoes that I normally wear everyday are slip-ons, closed toed and they have a tread on the sole. They are much easier to slip on quickly than the slippers I sometimes wear around the house.

To the other poster's question regarding moving about in the same car, no problem. But if moving between cars, I myself would rather have a closed toe shoe. I have 5 toes per foot when I board and would like to have 5 toes per foot when I get off.

My 2¢ worth.

The shoes that I normally wear everyday are slip-ons, closed toed and they have a tread on the sole. They are much easier to slip on quickly than the slippers I sometimes wear around the house.
To the other poster's question regarding moving about in the same car, no problem. But if moving between cars, I myself would rather have a closed toe shoe. I have 5 toes per foot when I board and would like to have 5 toes per foot when I get off.

My 2¢ worth.
I agree! Anything closed-toed is fine for the train. It can be open-heeled slip-ons as long as you walk carefully. But anything with open toes can be very dangerous and should not be worn on the train. Maybe OK for going to the lavatory, but no good if you're walking betweens cars. Not only could your toes get stuck or cut off, you would eaily slip and fall, or someone else could bump into you and stomp a mighty pain into your foot. No good for the train ride.

Again, I know that most Amtrak crews don't care, but for your own good, just don't do it!

Many thanks for the replies!

I will try to keep clear of the reputed toe-chopping machine, but in many years of train travel in other countries, I have never seen one. Maybe it was specially designed for Amtrak.

I wear sandals all the time. Velcro closures on the top of the foot...not slip ons or flip flops.

Our CSA on EB last week said he saw a lady get a toe hung a few months ago.

Flip-flops work fine if you're reasonably well coordinated and careful. But do take a moment and look at how the toe-chopping machine works!

The most dangerous places are IMO the transitions into and out of the Pacific Parlour cars because of the difference in height.

Flip-flops work fine if you're reasonably well coordinated and careful. But do take a moment and look at how the toe-chopping machine works!
The most dangerous places are IMO the transitions into and out of the Pacific Parlour cars because of the difference in height.
One might assume those against flip flops are not reasonably well coordinated. Also, what the heck is a "Toe Hung"?

I wear Birkenstock sandals all the time when riding Amtrak and no one's said boo to me. Of course, they do have fairly thick and rigid soles (at least, compared to flip flops).

I'm guessing hiking sandals would be just fine.

I see many of you folks saying Flip Flops are ok for me, or, I know how to walk. But what if you mistepped or got your toe misplaced just once. Well, you would almost loose your toe, want to sue everyone for not tellings you its NOT ok to walk around in flip flops. All it takes is one mistep and your dead meat. I imagine a toe between 2 cars at 79 MPH does not feel too good.

I was in a station that had AMR Turbo Prop airplanes. The Nbr. 2 engine was rotatating and (co pilots side) not fast, just for ground power. A young lady, who was a ramper for American Eagle was joking around and walked into the engine blade. You can imagine what happened.

Why tickle fate? Just wear shoes when crossing car to car, just do what is asked of you and arrive with 2 good feet.

If I wore flip-flops while walking between cars and got my toe chopped off, I wouldn't sue Amtrak. It would be my own dumb fault for stepping too close to the sliding plates.

On the occasions I do wear flip-flops when walking around the train, I give the toe chopper a wide step. I've never had issues walking in flip-flops, and I always hang onto the candy canes, so I'm not concerned. I wear boots most of the time; the flip-flops are for nighttime when I'm in pajamas and don't feel like putting my boots on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back