Rooomette Trainediqute

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's hard to believe, but some of those "queers", "jews", "muslims", etc... may even serve you in the grocery store, restaurants, banks, malls, etc... and believe it or not, they may even :eek: DRIVE :eek: on the same roads as you do! :rolleyes:
And some of those frightening queers - like me - might even be on this very forum. HORRORS! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I really thought this forum would be mostly about trains. For the record, sometimes being in a crowd of straight people makes me just as uneasy as some of them are in a crowd of queers...if they've every actually been in such a crowd. :lol:

Thanks for the humor, the_traveler. I genuinely appreciated it.
Wooo we have got way off topic. I would be concerned just sharing with a stranger in such a small space Danger :eek: , Danger, :eek: Danger :eek: Will Robinson. From Lost In Space. Plus I can be quite cramped with someone you know. A roomette is fine just by yourself. Plus my last two big trips I shared a roomette with a young friend and it was close in there but because he was younger he spent most of his time in the top bunk when he was in the sleeper. That ment that most of the time the sleeper was in night mode which was fine by me. My up coming trip I will be sharing my roomette with my sister her first LD trip and it will be tight but it's an adventure for her, I just love to ride.

Roomettes aren't THAT small. On the CZ my dad and I began to feel a little cramped, but a few hours in the lounge solved that problem :)

In terms of size the Viewliner roomette is more comfortable to share with someone, since they can put their feet on the toilet.

Roomettes aren't THAT small. On the CZ my dad and I began to feel a little cramped, but a few hours in the lounge solved that problem :)
In terms of size the Viewliner roomette is more comfortable to share with someone, since they can put their feet on the toilet.
Agreed.... people talking about the Roomettes would have shrieked in horror if asked to ride with someone in the double rooms on the slumbercoaches!!! ha.

Wooo we have got way off topic. I would be concerned just sharing with a stranger in such a small space Danger :eek: , Danger, :eek: Danger :eek: Will Robinson. From Lost In Space. Plus I can be quite cramped with someone you know. A roomette is fine just by yourself.
The Jupiter II had cabins much, much larger than a roomette. :lol:

Plus my last two big trips I shared a roomette with a young friend and it was close in there but because he was younger he spent most of his time in the top bunk when he was in the sleeper. That ment that most of the time the sleeper was in night mode which was fine by me.
I do basically the same think with my kid. Almost immediately upon boarding, I lower the upper bunk down, in our roomette, and my kid uses it as "fort" or play area throughout the journey. There is more than enough room for me to sit comfortably in the chairs.

The Jupiter II had cabins much, much larger than a roomette.
I think the Jupiter II was much bigger inside than it appeared to be outside. Kinda like Dr. Who's TARDIS.

Or a lot of Hollywood sets.

Is the knee room the same in the roomettes with toilets (Viewliners?) as it is in the roomettes without?

I know we're talking about different type cars but can't remember the names.

J

Is the knee room the same in the roomettes with toilets (Viewliners?) as it is in the roomettes without?
The roomettes in the Superliners are just about the same size as the ones in the Viewliners. In a Superliner roomette, there is kind-of a luggage shelf area, where the sink and toilet are located in a Viewliner.

The roomettes in the Superliners are just about the same size as the ones in the Viewliners. In a Superliner roomette, there is kind-of a luggage shelf area, where the sink and toilet are located in a Viewliner.
No, the luggage shelf/closet area in the Superliner is in the same place that there is a shelf and garment bag hook in the Viewliner.

The Viewliner toilet & sink are where the steps are in the Superliner, with the extra space that's needed provided by the tapers on the beds.

And to answer the original question, the Viewliner room is 2 inches longer than the Superliner room, so there is a bit more knee room.

No, the luggage shelf/closet area in the Superliner is in the same place that there is a shelf and garment bag hook in the Viewliner.

The Viewliner toilet & sink are where the steps are in the Superliner, with the extra space that's needed provided by the tapers on the beds.

And to answer the original question, the Viewliner room is 2 inches longer than the Superliner room, so there is a bit more knee room.
If it's not too convoluted a question: When you add all of those 2" together from each room where do they end up? Perhaps I should just go look at the diagram. I've seen the 3D view.

I've not been on Superliners, just the Viewliners, then (always a toilet). So, a Superliner must feel a little more claustrophobic than does a V'liner?

Is the height space available for humans (versus wiring, motors, brakes, etc) the same on both types?

Lastly, which design came first? ViewL or SuperL? And is that a trend for the future?

Superliners came before Viewliners, but the design concept of a single-level sleeping car is much older than that of a double-level. Lower tunnels and things in the eastern U.S. require that Amtrak continue to use single-level cars, while the wide open spaces in the West don't preclude taller equipment.

Most of the discussion here seems to be about having a stranger in one's room for an extended time. I was on a CZ trip that coincided with spring break, and it sure looked like a revolving door on some of those roomettes. Maybe the SCA was too busy to notice the college students getting busy.

If it's not too convoluted a question: When you add all of those 2" together from each room where do they end up? Perhaps I should just go look at the diagram. I've seen the 3D view.

I've not been on Superliners, just the Viewliners, then (always a toilet). So, a Superliner must feel a little more claustrophobic than does a V'liner?

Is the height space available for humans (versus wiring, motors, brakes, etc) the same on both types?

Lastly, which design came first? ViewL or SuperL? And is that a trend for the future?
The Viewliner has fewer rooms, which is why they can afford a few extra inches. On a Superliner sleeper the upper level contains 5 bedrooms, 10 roomettes, and room for the stairs, bathroom, and coffee station. On a Viewliner you only have 2 bedrooms. The remaining space from what would have been the other 3 bedrooms, goes towards the Handicapped room, 3 extra roomettes and 1 shower, and the extra space. I've also not checked to see if the Viewliner car itself is a bit longer than the Superliner car.

Regarding the height of the room, there is far more space in a Viewliner than a Superliner. I'm 5'11" and I can sit up right in the upper bunk to read or what ever. In a Superliner the best I can do is maybe a 40 degree slouch.

Finally while the Superliner did come first as noted, with the exception of the included toilet, I suspect that you'll see the Viewliner design in future cars.

For what it's worth... me and a friend took a trip from ATL to Ohio a couple years ago. When we got off the Viewliner from the Crescent and into the superliner on the Capitol we both swore there was more leg room (as in more room in between the two seats). I don't know if the angle of the seats is different, or if it was just a weird mind control deal but I must say it SEEMED like there was more room.

The main issue with headroom is that although the Superliner is double-deck, it's nowhere near twice as tall as a Viewliner. This reduces the headroom a lot.

The main issue with headroom is that although the Superliner is double-deck, it's nowhere near twice as tall as a Viewliner. This reduces the headroom a lot.
Does the Superliner have a lower ground clearance?

In keeping with the original post, if I were sharing a Superliner roomette with another female, she'd have to take the top bunk. The no-window-hunker-down stuff would get to me a little bit. I like to keep my eyes on the horizon when the ride gets rough AND I have a feeling that all of the odd smells end up at the top of the car. Charity can only go so far :lol: .

And to the other poster re:knee clearance. Perhaps the Viewliner seats had flattened out from carrying so much weight over time and spread forward as that was the only place to go, thereby decreasing knee space. Just a thought.

Jody

In keeping with the original post, if I were sharing a Superliner roomette with another female, she'd have to take the top bunk. The no-window-hunker-down stuff would get to me a little bit. I like to keep my eyes on the horizon when the ride gets rough AND I have a feeling that all of the odd smells end up at the top of the car. Charity can only go so far :lol: .

And to the other poster re:knee clearance. Perhaps the Viewliner seats had flattened out from carrying so much weight over time and spread forward as that was the only place to go, thereby decreasing knee space. Just a thought.

Jody
You calling me fat!?!?!? haha! : )

Its pretty low. Although I can't give an exact measurement.

Zi6_2253.JPG

According to Wikipedia, Superliners are 16'0" high, but it doesn't show the above rail clearance, or compare it to conventional equipment.

A single-level Amfleet car is 12'8" high, less than two feet lower than a Superliner.

I think that the point here is to get someone to room with who you feel comfortable with. Its like last summer when I went for my first colonoscopy. I didn't like the Dr who was going to give it to me so luckily I located an attractive female gastrointernist who took the job. Ended up with a female anesthesiologist and two female nurses that day. Now thats livin!

I think that the point here is to get someone to room with who you feel comfortable with. Its like last summer when I went for my first colonoscopy. I didn't like the Dr who was going to give it to me so luckily I located an attractive female gastrointernist who took the job. Ended up with a female anesthesiologist and two female nurses that day. Now thats livin!
Good to see you still posting here guy. You kinda said the wrong thing back there but i'm not perfect either. yet.

Whoa! I cant believe this post got so many views! The train was amazing... I did not share my room by the way. However:

1 - I easily could have shared the room space wise as long as someone did not have too much baggage however there would be pretty little privacy if any.

2 - There would be no way to ask someone to share my room without being really creepy. No conversation I had on the train could have ended "so you want to come back to my room" and not seemed strange.

Amtrak is a great way to travel and look forward to more train trips.

Whoa! I cant believe this post got so many views! The train was amazing... I did not share my room by the way. However:
1 - I easily could have shared the room space wise as long as someone did not have too much baggage however there would be pretty little privacy if any.

2 - There would be no way to ask someone to share my room without being really creepy. No conversation I had on the train could have ended "so you want to come back to my room" and not seemed strange.

Amtrak is a great way to travel and look forward to more train trips.
So glad to hear your trip was good! Yea... we've all had fun with this topic it seems!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back