Rooomette Trainediqute

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive thought about this since I am a smaller person and it would be easy for me to share a roomette if I met another smaller person--

When I was in Europe often times we spent nights in train compartments with strangers male and feamle (many trains we took had compartments with a glass door that opened up to 2 benches facing each other that could be pulled down that were basic coach class and thus open to everyone) as well as roomed with them off train, Ive also done ride share via craigslist--and this would be where I would look for a roomette companion ahead of time. I imagine that one of us would prob spend a decent amount of time in the lounge areas etc. Oh I am female as well, and prob wouldn't mind even traveling with the right sort of gentelman, I sleep in work out clothes anyway--and usually change in the shower area as well.

For some reason, none of it showed on my AGR.
If it wasn't too long ago, you may want to call Amtrak guest Rewards & see if you can add it on, or fill out the missing points form on their website.
What would be on your AGR account anyway? :huh:

The thing that would be on YOUR AGR account would be YOUR rail fare and THE ACCOMMODATION CHARGE (and it is the same for 1 or 2 in the room). HER rail fare would be credited to HER AGR account ONLY. (There is no way that you could get it. If she did not have an AGR account, then NOBODY would get the credit!)

Thus there is NOTHING extra that you could have gotten!
I thought she was referring to the points for the onboard upgrade to the roomette.

Let's suppose if the person who wants to share a room with you is *****. At bedtime he will see you in your underpants and he will get excited. Not good!
I know it's hard to believe, but some of those "queers", "jews", "muslims", etc... may even serve you in the grocery store, restaurants, banks, malls, etc... and believe it or not, they may even :eek: DRIVE :eek: on the same roads as you do! :rolleyes:
Or your best friend or teamate or brother,sister,cousin or parent or grandparent or even your spouse! Times are changing folks, people who have interest in other folks sexual preference and lives need to get a life of their own! What possible difference does it make who's gay etc. The only people who scare me are racists,war mongers,pedophiles,homophobes and tele-evangilists! Well, the gun toting T-Party fanatics also! <_<

I dont care to share a roomette with anyone, even my significant other but a bedroom is another story, also a friend and even if they were the same sex, long as I knew them and we got along no problem! :) Ive stayed in hostels all over the world with same sex rooms, co-ed rooms and private rooms,but I'm not in competition with Brad Pitt or George Clooney so nothing to worry about except would someone steal my stuff! :lol: Also spent many nights in barracks and aboard ship when in the Navy and I'm pretty sure there were gays there but so what?

Also riding in coach and on overnight flights and the dog is a sure way to sleep with someone not of your choice! :rolleyes:

Jodys story was a nice one and I glad to hear that it worked out well. However, when you decide to share a room with a complete stranger anything can happan.........theft, snoring, hostilites etc are possible. Also Roometttes are tiny and two people in one makes for a very tight and compact sleeping arrangement. Let's suppose if the person who wants to share a room with you is *****. At bedtime he will see you in your underpants and he will get excited. Not good!
A *****? So he sees me in my underwear. And he gets excited. So what? So long as he keeps his excitement to himself, what the devil do I care? I mean I might suggest he go call his optometrist since he clearly needs to if he finds my fat arse exciting, but whatever. I mean I've passed on the street, sat next to in theaters, busses, trains, eat dinner with on trains, or even spent time in rooms at hostels with, women that "excite" me. As far as I can recall, I haven't even paid any of them a passing compliment on the subject, let alone gone beyond that point.

Queers, as you call them, happen to have their sexual preference be the same sex as their own rather than a different one. I'm sure there are some "queers" that will rape people, or do other inappropriate things. I don't think the percentage is any higher then in the non-"*****" person. They also, and this is a point I have noticed (I have quite a few "*****" friends of both sexes- I move with my girlfriend in artistic circles) are more likely than average to be attracted to a person's personality then to their physical appearance.

Not every woman turns me on. Some make me want to throw up- ever seen a 400 lb woman wearing a tight shirt? (or a male, for that matter) - and most don't interest me at all. Even the ones that might grace the pages of a dirty magazine. Some of those people have expressive presentation that makes me want to avoid them like the plague. A woman who looks like a [female dog] in the way she holds herself, presents herself, and acts never turns me on, no matter what her, uh, assets might look like if you removed all expression.

Your assertion is extremely ignorant, bigoted, and honestly downright sickening. I can think of a wide variety of reasons why I would have objections to share a room- although none of them enough to overcome my natural miserly nature. But "queers" becoming attracted to me and being "excited" are not one of them.

Whoa! Somehow my post about ways to be cheap turned into a debate on homosexuality. This was NOT my intention and sorry if it ended up hurting or offending anyone. Again I probably wont share my room with anyone but was just curious what others thought and boy did I get that. For the record I would have no issue sharing a train roomette with someone about my size guy - girl- straight - gay - black - white - cross dresser - or all of the above.... if the person was cool. That is to say if in the 40 hour trip I meet someone and they are cool... who knows. However this is very unlikely but thanks for your thoughts and again sorry if I offended people. I need to think of topics that wont offend people. Next topic... should woman be allowed to drive? Immigrants good or bad? Gun control good or bad? How about that Obama? Answer to peace in the middle east?

Thanks for the entertainment. My train is only 24 hours away! Woo hooo!

Hey, joelitz, for my part I don't think you need to apologize at all for the post. I'm the ***** who fanned the flames a few posts back (pun unintended but appreciated) and for the record I do not support censorship, shutting down even someone who's been deeply offensive. And I don't support taking verbal snipes at others. I do support a vigorous, healthy, even heated discussion.

Only speaking for myself here, but I didn't find diagrua's comment particularly offensive. Change the context of the remark to a pair of mixed-gender strangers sharing a roomette and it might not raise as many hackles, maybe even none.

I've only used a sleeper once - roomette on the northbound Silver Meteor from FLO to WAS last fall. We boarded near midnight and detrained after an early breakfast, but that was long enough to recognize a good CSA, and what troubles some passengers can inflict on a CSA. I'll have to tell that story later. Oh, and trying to shower on the not-so-smooth line north of Richmond - I guess that's where we were.

I've said elsewhere, this forum has been a terrific place to learn about those fascinating trains and it only whets my appetite for more rail travel. When people's personal opinions poke through, it makes the picture even more colorful.

Off to work - chow everyone.

A *****? So he sees me in my underwear. And he gets excited. So what? So long as he keeps his excitement to himself, what the devil do I care?
Think about it. If he gets "excited" in a roomette, his "excitement" might very well be something you need to deal with, given the lack of any extra room within a roomette to accommodate any "extensions". :lol:

Whoa! Somehow my post about ways to be cheap turned into a debate on homosexuality. This was NOT my intention and sorry if it ended up hurting or offending anyone. Again I probably wont share my room with anyone but was just curious what others thought and boy did I get that. For the record I would have no issue sharing a train roomette with someone about my size guy - girl- straight - gay - black - white - cross dresser - or all of the above.... if the person was cool. That is to say if in the 40 hour trip I meet someone and they are cool... who knows. However this is very unlikely but thanks for your thoughts and again sorry if I offended people. I need to think of topics that wont offend people. Next topic... should woman be allowed to drive? Immigrants good or bad? Gun control good or bad? How about that Obama? Answer to peace in the middle east?
Welcome to the board...

There are times that the threads morph into something way different than the original question-like this one-don't feel bad that some go off that way.

I stayed out of this discussion because I've never shared a sleeper except with hubby. I don't see any major problem with sharing your roomette/bedroom with a stranger, but it could go wrong because it is a stranger. I think personally I would only share it with another of the same sex, because I'm married it wouldn't look too good.

You may want to avoid some of the other topics you mentioned, though. :lol: :lol:

Hey, enjoy your train ride & don't forget to sign up for Amtrak Guest Rewards!

No need to apologize! That's the beauty of free speech. If we don't agree with someone or something, we can speak our mind, or we can not say anything. Some people do not have that right.

I need to think of topics that wont offend people. Next topic... should woman be allowed to drive? Immigrants good or bad? Gun control good or bad? How about that Obama? Answer to peace in the middle east?
No comment!

My train is only 24 hours away! Woo hooo!
Enjoy your trip! :)

:wacko: ANYWAY, to get back on topic....

I was also going to bring up Europe. I along with a friend (we're both male) shared a four-bunk compartment on the Nikolai Express (Moscow to St. Petersburg) with two women. They didn't seem horribly worried about what we were thinking. Do none of these horrible what-ifs happen in Europe, and if not, why worry about them here?

Yes, theft is a concern, but the #1 suspect will be stuck on the train until the next stop. If you don't leave your camera or wallet unattended, I wouldn't worry about it.

For some reason, none of it showed on my AGR.
If it wasn't too long ago, you may want to call Amtrak guest Rewards & see if you can add it on, or fill out the missing points form on their website.
What would be on your AGR account anyway? :huh:

The thing that would be on YOUR AGR account would be YOUR rail fare and THE ACCOMMODATION CHARGE (and it is the same for 1 or 2 in the room). HER rail fare would be credited to HER AGR account ONLY. (There is no way that you could get it. If she did not have an AGR account, then NOBODY would get the credit!)

Thus there is NOTHING extra that you could have gotten!
I thought she was referring to the points for the onboard upgrade to the roomette.
Aren't AGR points based on price paid, rather than miles travelled? If so, the upgrade would have resulted in additional AGR points.

I really think the reason it wasn't credited to my AGR had to do with the way the sleeper upgrade was done. The conductor sat there with our id and all of the paperwork. I went a shorter distance than did the soldier and I think that perhaps the sleeper ticket was done so that it was in her name and I was added on. Her going a longer distance than I did not change the price so I think they were figuring out a way to keep her in the room instead of throwing her back into coach once my portion was done. That's my guess.

Ive thought about this since I am a smaller person and it would be easy for me to share a roomette if I met another smaller person--
When I was in Europe often times we spent nights in train compartments with strangers male and feamle (many trains we took had compartments with a glass door that opened up to 2 benches facing each other that could be pulled down that were basic coach class and thus open to everyone) as well as roomed with them off train, Ive also done ride share via craigslist--and this would be where I would look for a roomette companion ahead of time. I imagine that one of us would prob spend a decent amount of time in the lounge areas etc. Oh I am female as well, and prob wouldn't mind even traveling with the right sort of gentelman, I sleep in work out clothes anyway--and usually change in the shower area as well.
kashed,

DH and I did the same all over Europe, too. That was far more uncomfortable to me. Craigslist would be off the chart with me.

For the rest, understand that military understands military. We have our pecking order and know where to go when trouble arises so there's a built-in safety net. On another trip another military wife was trying to get a return ride in the sleeper and quizzed me about my return dates to see if they fit with hers to get her out of coach.

The only uncomfortable part was leaving the roomette when personal business had to be attended to. I didn't know really young people had to "go" so much. That might be the only thing that would prevent me from doing it again.

Jody

Jodys story was a nice one and I glad to hear that it worked out well. However, when you decide to share a room with a complete stranger anything can happan.........theft, snoring, hostilites etc are possible. Also Roometttes are tiny and two people in one makes for a very tight and compact sleeping arrangement. Let's suppose if the person who wants to share a room with you is *****. At bedtime he will see you in your underpants and he will get excited. Not good!
I have to laugh, dlagrua and this is soooo off topic. As you know, the military has a certain policy in this regard...

Aren't AGR points based on price paid, rather than miles travelled? If so, the upgrade would have resulted in additional AGR points.
I really think the reason it wasn't credited to my AGR had to do with the way the sleeper upgrade was done. The conductor sat there with our id and all of the paperwork. I went a shorter distance than did the soldier and I think that perhaps the sleeper ticket was done so that it was in her name and I was added on. Her going a longer distance than I did not change the price so I think they were figuring out a way to keep her in the room instead of throwing her back into coach once my portion was done. That's my guess.
Yes, AGR points are based on the price paid. So the upgrade would result in more AGR points. But with an onboard upgrade, you do have to notify AGR of the increase, because the upgrade paperwork will not (I don't believe) include your AGR number. And if, as mentioned, the upgrade was put in the soldier's name, ONLY SHE could get the additional credit. (Only the person shown can receive credit.)

FWIW,

Post 34 is not mine.

Posts 39 and 40 are.

Hope I got that right.

J

Yes, AGR points are based on the price paid. So the upgrade would result in more AGR points. But with an onboard upgrade, you do have to notify AGR of the increase, because the upgrade paperwork will not (I don't believe) include your AGR number. And if, as mentioned, the upgrade was put in the soldier's name, ONLY SHE could get the additional credit. (Only the person shown can receive credit.)
Do you know what the time limit is for calling AGR? I had a lot (DH's deployment) going on at that time so didn't follow through on it.

The OP need not apologize for the post. The person who made the offending comment seems to be keeping mum. Have a nice day, everybody.
Oh please... dlagrua's post should not have been offensive in the least. I took it as a joke.... I don't really think he meant to offend anyone.

I've taken many trips with friends who were other guys and we've shared roomettes. People they are not as small as you make it out to be! I find it alot less awkward to be in a room in two seperate beds then to be sleeping side by side in coach, Naturally I've done that too...

Moving along and away from the offensive side, ladies and gentlemen (try to live up to that moniker, okay?), I forgot the other part that was uncomfortable about sharing until this thread. It really applies whether it's a stranger or DH and that's the fact that I get motion sickness when engaging in a conversation face to face in the roomette. I was sick that night so when I took the top bunk it kept crossing my mind, what happens if I throw up? With her crutches she could not have moved fast enough.

Since we analyze everything in minutia re: Amtrak on here, you also need to consider difference in temperaments re: conversing or staring at the passing scenery, leg placement, choice of bunks, etc.

I don't think that you really offended anyone. You just pushed the button for for homophobics. GML explained the day-to-day relationship between the gay world and the straight world. There's really no problem 'till the straight person gets all nervous. Usually nobody really knows who's what, and nobody really cares. Only the homophobics care.

I've seen it done, but have never done it myself. I suppose if you slip the SCA $25 or so they would overlook any regulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back