RFP released for 35 Next Gen Locomotives

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Loco life IMO depends on hours of operation, total RPMs of prime mover, miles traveled, condition of track traversed, weather subjected. Add all those up to get some idea. MNRR's FL-9s short mileage and daytime storage at GCT under cover may have allowed them to last longer ? .

It is my understanding that Metro North anticipates retiring their current Dual-Mode Locomotives in 2025--which would make them an average of 27 years old at age of retirement.

So then maybe Amtrak would retire their current Dual-Mode Locomotives at the same time?

I also wonder how long the Sprinter Locomotives will be able to stay in service.

Metro North has indicated that they are doing some type of overhaul, but I have no details as to the extent or the effect on service life. Now that the Governor has just made his big greenhouse gas pledge, ordering Tier 4 (or whatever comes next) power would be a small but very visible move on that front.

FWIW, Cuomo's announcement: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-joined-vice-president-gore-announces-new-actions-reduce-greenhouse-gas-emissions

It's mostly about promoting solar panels. Which is cool, but given the current market trends, he probably didn't need to do *anything* to get that many solar panels installed.

It includes authorization of community solar (a pricing scheme) which has been in the works for several years now.

The announcement also talks about merging the RGGI carbon-emissions market with the California/Quebec/Ontario carbon-emissions market, which is kind of bloody obvious and has probably been under discussion for years.

This is an even more perfect sort of politician promise: promise to accomplish something which was going to happen anyway, and jump out ahead of the parade to take credit for it. It's what Andrew Cuomo did with same-sex marriage, which was a foregone conclusion before he got into office -- jump ahead of the parade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will the additional option locomotives likely get funded by state budgets?

What about the Dual-Mode locomotives?

What about the Dual-Mode locomotives?
Until some company makes an RFP there are no dual-mode locomotives getting bought, planned, or built. You might as well stop asking about them. It's beginning to get annoying.
There is planning underway on dual mode (3rd rail) locomotives. NY DOT, Amtrak, and Metro-North RR have been working with the PRIIA section 305 Next Generation Equipment Committee (NGEC) to draft and finalize a specification for a Dual Mode (3rd Rail) Diesel locomotive. Reviewing the notes for the Next Gen committee, the dual mode specification was originally intended to be completed in early 2014, but the process has dragged out. Somewhere in the notes, I recall reading that once the spec is finalized and approved, NY DOT expected to proceed with issuing an RFP.

However, the topic of a dual mode locomotive is only marginally related to this thread, as the Dual Mode locomotive RFP will be open to all 4 potential bidders and Siemens may not get the contract. While I think that while Siemens is the likely favorite to get the contract, NY politics may result in a different manufacturer being selected. I posted some dual mode spec info earlier in this thread because it was tangentially related to the Siemens Charger locomotive and possible future orders for Charger variants. However, Andrew keep asking off-topic questions about the likely Dual Mode locomotive order that can't be answered because an RFP has not even been issued, let alone an order placed.

The only fly in the ointment right now, which may get resolved by then 2017/18 maybe), is that NYSDOT does not have any real money to back any issuing of anything at present.

I still bet that many locomotives will replace current ones in service in Amtrak, LIRR and Metro North in the 2020's, instead of having the current locomotives stay in service until the 2030's.

Also, how long is it usually from when an RFP gets issued until a contract gets signed?

I still bet that many locomotives will replace current ones in service in Amtrak, LIRR and Metro North in the 2020's, instead of having the current locomotives stay in service until the 2030's.

Also, how long is it usually from when an RFP gets issued until a contract gets signed?
That's certainly a safe prediction, since by January 1, 2030 all Genesis locomotives - P40, P42, and those P32 dual-modes - will be as old (29 to 37 years) as the F40PH would if it were still in service today, and far older than many E-units which Amtrak inherited in 1971. So yes, there will quite obviously be new locomotives sometime in the next fifteen years.

However, it is also true that if this is not going to happen until the 2020 time frame, there is little or nothing to discuss about it right now.

I just re-read this entire thread from start to finish. It is entertaining to see how many people need to eat how many different flavors of crow for definitive statements they made that did not come true. That includes myself on a couple of occasions. At least makes one more humble about how reality has a way to derail the best thought out prognostications.

35 locos has now been increased to 58.

28 to Illinois, 2 to Missouri, 20 to California, and 8 to Washington.

funny thought. Could say 10 chargers be built with cabs on both ends ? Was thinking they could be used for Ethan Allen, Vermonter etc and other routes where there is no wye at end of route ?

Suspect that it might be too heavy for B-B trucks ?

funny thought. Could say 10 chargers be built with cabs on both ends ? Was thinking they could be used for Ethan Allen, Vermonter etc and other routes where there is no wye at end of route ?

Suspect that it might be too heavy for B-B trucks ?
I've grown to very much like the notion of detouring the Southwest Chief by way of Pueblo up to Colorado Springs to tap that market. Without knowing a dayum thing about operations, I was concerned how to get the Chief back in the right direction to continue to L.A. or CHI.

Yes but Woody mentions going farther north to Colo Springs. That presents a problem to turn the train, no? Splitting the train and going up to Denver seems the way to go, if anything,

Yes but Woody mentions going farther north to Colo Springs. That presents a problem to turn the train, no? Splitting the train and going up to Denver seems the way to go, if anything,
Yes, I picked up the notion of going up to Colorado Springs from a local leader mentioning that possibility in one of the linked articles.

Pueblo is a nice little place, with 164,000 metro population. Then just 45 miles up the road, Colorado Springs metro has 700,000 people, plus Pike's Peak, the Garden of the Gods, and the Air Force Academy to draw visitors.

Together, Pueblo and Colorado Springs would fix one piece of the problem that keeps the Southwest Chief underperforming. Today the route connects two of the nation's three largest urban areas -- Chicago and L.A. -- but in between it's almost empty, with Kansas City and Albuquerque the only two large metro areas served. Adding the nearly 800,000 residents of Pueblo and Colorado Springs would provide a third "tentpole" to support the route. (Wichita and Las Vegas are two other potential tentpoles, but that's another story.)

Of course, Denver, with 2.9 million people, seems a very attractive tentpole. But that gets to be a whole different train.

As it is, a detour to Colorado Springs would add at least 4 hours to the schedule. That would ruin Westbound arrival times in Flagstaff and Williams (Grand Canyon RR) by putting them post-midnight, and making the morning arrival in L.A. more like noon. Eastbound a 4-hour detour actually improves the time for the stop at Newton serving Wichita some miles away. But it pushes the morning departure from Kansas City to noonish, losing the convenient morning-out/ evening-return corridor-like schedule it has now. And an 8 p.m. arrival in Chicago loses all connections from the Chief, ALL.

Someone with more skill than I have (Amtrak and BNSF, that is) might figure out how to tweak the scheduled run times to keep the current good timings at the stops. But it won't be easy. And making a quick turnaround at Colorado Springs would be essential.

Glad to know there's a wye at Pueblo already, because that could be as far as this proposed detour could afford to go.

I've gone to the Springs many times for USA Hockey or USOC stuff, and if I'm not flying into Denver and driving (nonstop real plane, no connection to RJ or commuter) I have always taken the CZ into Denver and driven. The rental stuation in Raton never worked out, and the early morning arrival Westbound and evening departure Eastbound into/out of Denver worked well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back