New York High Speed Rail

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is just one HSR line, won't make any problems
HSR by its very nature makes problems. When you run fast, you need more clearance and that means fewer commuter trains can run.
The high speed trains will be restricted from going faster than 100 MPH on the Metro-North corridor.
I highly doubt that you could even run 100 MPH in the Park Avenue tunnels. But even if you could, and for that matter even if you run faster than the MN trains, that reduces capacity.

But again, it's all academic. This will NEVER happen. GCT really doesn't have the capacity for more trains; they can't string catenary in the Park Avenue tunnels as the engines barely clear the roof right now; there is no way to build a bridge over the Hudson to connect to MN; you can't fix the curve problems running along the Hudson; and no one has stepped up with the Billions of dollars, if not a Trillion, to build anything.

usually I lurk and do not comment... but here I cannot resist! I take the MTA into the city twice per week - once from the Harlem line (blue), once from the Hudson line (green). The tracks head underground at 122nd street. For roughly 5 - 7 blocks the speed limit is fairly reasonable with conductors doing 20 - 40 mph. Just about 3 minutes into the tunnel, the speed limit slaws to a deadening crawl. I do not recall if it is 10 mph or 15, but that is the ballpark. I hear lots of people saying that the Park Ave tunnel is a bottle neck when compared to the platforms, and that is partly true. There are 4 tracks in/out of Grand central. If the MTA imposes an (idiotic) speed limit on the immediate beginning of those tracks, they have NO one to blame but themselves. Yes,I agree that during rush hour a LOT of trains are scheduled through the tunnel. yes, I agree the dispatchers do an adequate job in the scheduling to get as many trains as possible in/out. However.... I have zero sympathy for the MTA when I hear them complain about adding capacity at Grand central (the MTA does say that from time to time). With a station that has as many platforms as GCT does, there is no excuse to have a 10 mph speed limit on the connected tracks. Imposing a much more reasonable speed limit would increase frequency without any *major* added cost. In fact, I feel like they (MTA) are trying to fool many of us (you and me) when they say they are at capacity. They can try harder.

I have heard two counter arguments to my intolerance of the Park Ave speed limit - 1) the sheer number of converging platform spurs requires a low speed limit, and 2) The speed limit is so low to avoid damaging the huge number of junctions the trains roll over. My response to #1 is: Upgrade your antiquated signaling, because if that is the reason for the hold up that is pathetic. I've been through the tunnels when contrustion lights are on, and I've visually seen the layout and understand the advanced age of the light signals used. The signals are clearly very old. *IF* the antiquated signals are the reason for the low speed limit, I find that a very poor excuse. My response to #2 is in two parts: 2a) In the station with the most platforms, someone HAS to do a better job of laying it out then. If the junctions are of inferior quality, then get some higher quality trackage for the sake of the millions who take the train annually. 2b) The older trainsets were significantly heavier than the ones used today. ALL Harlem line trains, and by the day more New Haven line (red) trains are the newer lighter trains. There are only a few of the old very heavy Wassaic-bound or po-town bound trains used today. The lighter trains do not place as much of a load on the junctions, and therefore you should be able to run the trains faster.

I will admit there are most likely other factors I am unaware of. I won't pretend I found some magical golden answer. Perhaps there is a really good reason why ALL trains into GCT are slowed to a dead crawl before entering the platform junctions. If there is a good reason, the MTA does not make it well known.

I apologize for going on a tangent. I intended my comment(s) to be directed towards GCT's ability to handle an increase in # of trains for the purposes of HSR.... which WOULD have been on topic if I mentioned it :)

As for connecting manhattan to HSR - I agree with the several people who mentioned PENN as a better choice. GCT has no connections further south. Even when the east-side-access peoject is done, that will connect GCT to LIRR.... not (directly to) the NEC. NYPENN is the only choice for HSR connectivity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another impossible dream; sorry!

First, Grand Central has next to no spare capacity for more trains (if it has any at all) and that would go to more commuter trains since the station is owned by Metro North.

Second, you can't string catenary wires in the Park Avenue tunnels, making normal electric HSR trainsets impossible to use.

Third, there is no way to cross the Hudson at the point you suggest and still be able to connect to the MN Hudson line. You can't build a bridge that is high enough to clear ships and yet still tie it into the MN line because of other bridges on the NY side.

Fourth, the run down the Hudson alongside the existing freight lines would not be straight enough for HSR.

So even if you had the money to build your dream, you still couldn't realize it due to the above limitations.
So how about instead of a high bridge over the Hudson River, how about a tunnel, won't interfere with ships.

I apologize for going on a tangent. I intended my comment(s) to be directed towards GCT's ability to handle an increase in # of trains for the purposes of HSR.... which WOULD have been on topic if I mentioned it :)

As for connecting manhattan to HSR - I agree with the several people who mentioned PENN as a better choice. GCT has no connections further south. Even when the east-side-access peoject is done, that will connect GCT to LIRR.... not (directly to) the NEC. NYPENN is the only choice for HSR connectivity.
No, Penn Station is too small. It has 21 tracks and there are too many Amtrak trains that take up almost all the tracks. Grand Central is a better choice because it has 3x as many.

Another impossible dream; sorry!

First, Grand Central has next to no spare capacity for more trains (if it has any at all) and that would go to more commuter trains since the station is owned by Metro North.

Second, you can't string catenary wires in the Park Avenue tunnels, making normal electric HSR trainsets impossible to use.

Third, there is no way to cross the Hudson at the point you suggest and still be able to connect to the MN Hudson line. You can't build a bridge that is high enough to clear ships and yet still tie it into the MN line because of other bridges on the NY side.

Fourth, the run down the Hudson alongside the existing freight lines would not be straight enough for HSR.

So even if you had the money to build your dream, you still couldn't realize it due to the above limitations.
So how about instead of a high bridge over the Hudson River, how about a tunnel, won't interfere with ships.
A waste of money. We don't want HSR to go to Grand Central. Forget the idea. We need a new tunnel to NYP under the Hudson first!

And since you can't build the HSR rail line as you've dreamed it, there is no point of a tunnel for it. No line coming down the Hudson as you've described in your post could ever be high speed. Might as well just improve the current line on the east side of the Hudson.

No, Penn Station is too small. It has 21 tracks and there are too many Amtrak trains that take up almost all the tracks. Grand Central is a better choice because it has 3x as many.
Amtrak doesn't take up too many tracks, in fact Amtrak takes up the least amount of space in NYP. The LIRR takes up the most tracks, followed by NJT. And despite the fact that NYP has fewer tracks than GCT, it has more trains and more people coming in and out because NYP has run through service which makes things easier as you don't have to turn trains on the platforms like you do at GCT.

Back