National Train Day Saturday May 10th 2014

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am on 97 and we just stopped in RVR where I went out for fresh air. I walked to the rear of the train and discovered a bunch of superliner cars that are dead heading. It was raining so I did not count them. I recall the same thing last NTD. We must have picked them up in WAS. My train "expert" texting buddy thinks they will be going to Sanford. I know last year 97 did not stop in Sanford. Could they be going to Hialeah?

I am on 97 and we just stopped in RVR where I went out for fresh air. I walked to the rear of the train and discovered a bunch of superliner cars that are dead heading. It was raining so I did not count them. I recall the same thing last NTD. We must have picked them up in WAS. My train "expert" texting buddy thinks they will be going to Sanford. I know last year 97 did not stop in Sanford. Could they be going to Hialeah?
Penny IINM they will goto MIA and goto SFA on a equipment move Monday.

We had a lot of fun today! We did go to San Jose but they had only 4 tables... great to see them but we didn't drive that far for a small bag of sway. Bob showed me some love and drove us up to Emeryville. Lots of friendly people, lots of kids having fun and a train to walk through. A new conductor was standing and giving out general information. They had a Comet car which smelled brand new and had an Acela-like bathroom. It looked like the Cafe Car was doing a brisk business (smart move!) and they had ... um.. is it a cab car so you move the train with the engine in the rear. Got to take a peek. Really cool! Always fun talking to train folks...

Here are some pictures!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97163322@N02/sets/72157644612364765/
We just got home from NTD at Emeryville, and I was impressed, too. (Although disappointed I didn't win any raffles for free train travel)! I loved that the display train was full of happy people eating lunches purchased in the cafe car. That was a really good call on someone's part! There were lots of give-aways, and I came home with 3 bags full of pens, luggage tags, key chains, the new schedule, a cool Amtrak hat (picture on Facebook), and lots of other stuff.
On the way to Emeryville this morning, we had a 1 hour layover in Sacramento (between bus and train), which gave us time to walk over to Old Sac and see some beautiful classic engines and other equipment. We were there before the event officially started and watched Western Pacific engine #6051turned around on the turntable and moved into position for the display. Also saw Santa Fe #347C in all her "War Bonnet" paint scheme glory. I just happened to be wearing a t-shirt that had been my Dad's with pictures of both those exact engines on it. I admit to getting a little emotional about that. I gave it to him for Christmas about 15 years ago, and he loved that shirt.

We ate breakfast on the train on the way down, and lunch on the way back. It was a good day!

NYP's NTD:

1. Great to see NARP have a table there. Talked shop about Empire Corridor, Hudson tunnels, etc. Someone came up and ask what competition we had as if we did not have any...

2. Was fun to have a look at the ACS-64 in TS2014 and talked a bit with Dovetail employees about the game. Certainly does not compare to those in DC who apparently were allowed to be in the cab and take photos.

3. Had a good chat with the Adirondack Trails and Rails coordinator. I still have to email him about volunteering for being a tour guide for it.

Seattle's NTD activities turned out quite nicely. Both the main floor and the mezzanine of King Street Station were full of tables, with everyone from Amtrak, Sound Transit, Operation Lifesaver, the Trails and Rails folks, All Aboard Washington, Talgo, and the Chuggington folks for kids.

All Aboard Washington can now claim the first-ever Solari board in King Street Station :) Thanks, John and statusmaps.net!

10169174_10202687400921022_969326032954061204_n.jpg

The "travel to San Francisco" folks were also there, with a wrapped Superliner.

10365747_10201098962596478_7268629506419896008_n.jpg
Photo courtesy Warren Yee.

They were showing off Superliner equipment, including a PPC. I didn't go on the trains, since I've been on that equipment quite a lot lately, but they had food to look at, and lots of folks who hadn't been on trains found it quite impressive.

10171152_10201098965556552_6112630567647232627_n.jpg
Photo courtesy Warren Yee.

A bunch of speakers, including former Amtrak president Alan Boyd (which I skipped), and food demos from prominent chef and Amtrak menu whiz Tom Douglas (which I did not skip :) ). The tarts he showed off are apparently on the CZ menu at the moment. Oh, and if you missed Douglas' samples, they were giving away cookies and juice. Best food options in King Street for years and years!

Warren Yee from AAWA took some great pictures, and I added a few (hmm, more food than trains...)

I was a little dismayed by the materials placed for pick up in Chicago on ntd. Mwhsr was distributing stuff with 2012 as the most recent updates. And I thought I was getting the summer schedule from amtrak. I got the January one. Oops.

The people from the Illinois hsr told me that all chi-stl trains would be on 4 hr30 schedules by end of 2015. There most recent printed information was 2013. Nothing for 2014. I hope their prediction is true. But I think

They may have been optimistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Penny IINM they will goto MIA and goto SFA on a equipment move Monday.
It turns out that Kevin K was correct. We stopped in Sanford very close to the Auto Train station and the 5 cars were removed. Our power was turned off and everyone was told to stay in their seats because there was going to be some movement. I think it took about 15 minutes, which made my arrival in WPK a bit later, which gave me more time to enjoy my lunch (and dessert) with Mr. and Mrs. Shanghai. :)

Chicago's NTD seemed especially subdued.

Given, I didn't arrive until 2 P.M. (with the event running till 3) but the celebration seemed relatively desolate of attendees. It just seems to be getting downsized every year. I don't even know if they did any advertising.

So I breezed through the Great Hall in about ten minutes, briefly stopping to see the model railroads, grab a couple of pamplets from exhibitors, et al. Pretty much everyone there were the usual suspects, so I didn't have much need (or time) to stop and chat. One table did have some celebratory displays concerning the history of Pullman and its porters, that would have been nice to read.

It did appear like there was likely a kids section in the back room, but I didn't pop my head in thrre today. In the past, they have had coloring sheets and other basic activities. The room, itself, is worth visiting when open due to it's historical photographs.

No entertainment that I could discern. Again, subdued.

Off to my real interest in attending...private railcar tours. Of course, they make you walk through am Amtrak setup, first. I almost misssed the entry point because, for the first time ever, there was absolutely no line at all. I was able to walk right down the platform and board.

The Amtrak cars included a cafe car, transdorm, and about three Superliners (coach, diner, sleeper.) Since the crowd walking through was minimal, I had a chance to stop and chat a bit with the OBS personnel, very pleasantly.

Private cars included the Berlin, mainly a very nice bedroom car; Iowa Pacific's Prarie View dome car; their San Luis & Rio Grande diner, with streamlined, simple Art Deco seating; and the Warren R. Henry/Evelyn Henry pair, which they have had here before. Again, the slow and small crowd enabled effective visiting (not that the larger crowds of the past have ever kept me from doing that before) and I spent a few minutes with some other railfans as well as those representing the Pullman New Orleans service & Iowa Pacific.

As I left the platform, a lady and her very interested in trains son wanted to see the exhibit. But they were shutting down for the day, so were not allowed to pass through the gate. I advised and showed her how they could at least get an outside look see from another open platform, and explained that if they arrived earlier at next year's event, they'd get to walk through the cars. She said they would definitely do that.

This stroll also allowed me to see a couple of engines on display, including a Belt Railway of Chicago and an NS Operation Lifesaver painted unit. Additionally, Iowa Pacific had an E8 on display, in their colors.

Leaving the platform area, I returned to the Great Hall, where they were breaking down the setup. I took a few daylight photos of the terminal, since the small crowd allowed it. I also noticed a group of yellow shirted volunteers and a coordinator offering some sort of sign out instructions. I wonder who these volunteers are. Might not mind doing it myself in the future, helping people to appreciate trains.

Time for lunch. Down the street, under the old Chicago & Northwestern terminal, they have a French Market, where you can get all kinds of good everything to eat. So I ambled over, strolled through the options, and bought a lobster roll. Some guys skateboarding along Canal Street up a median strip ramp were entertaining when the light stopped traffic. I ate my delight from the sea while walking along Washington to Boul Mich. There I caught the #4 bus for the slow, but pleasant, trek to the University of Chicago, and attended Studs Fest, a city celebration of the legacy of Studs Terkel.

The last presenter of the night related a train story, too. Told of his remembrance listening on the radio to Studs, and wanting to grow up bbeing a blues artist, like some of the people he heard on the air. One day, he did like many musicians; got on the old I.C. And he took it.....North. To Hyde Park. Where there was a guitar shop, and some people to teach him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chicago's NTD seemed especially subdued.
That pretty much summarizes my impression, compared to two years ago.

I arrived on the true-to-its-nickname LSL and was surprised to find no line for the equipment tours. On the other hand, the excursions were sold out in advance, when previously it was possible to get a spot on the day of.

The great hall seemed somewhat empty, but one exhibit that I found fascinating was the live dispatching display, with one of the dispatchers giving commentary and answering questions. A very interesting view behind the scenes.

On the other hand, the excursions were sold out in advance, when previously it was possible to get a spot on the day of.
I wonder what accounts for this.

The great hall seemed somewhat empty, but one exhibit that I found fascinating was the live dispatching display, with one of the dispatchers giving commentary and answering questions. A very interesting view behind the scenes.
Oh, I didn't see that this year. Was wondering where it was as it was certainly a notable attraction in the past.

SPUD did a pretty good job with it. I really had a good time, and too bad a few of my friends didn't make it.

When we walked the cars, there was a lot of impressed people of how much room there was on coach seat, and when we were in the sleeper, I answered a few questions for people who were walking it.

Here are my photos.

Arrived in Eugene on the northbound CS about 7 minutes late. I had someone waiting outside for me (with a dog) so I didn't get much time to look at the two model train setups in the waiting room.

About 4PM I did see a little kid with a cardboard Conductor's hat and a National Train Day pin a few blocks from the station. When I got back to the station at 4:30 everything was packed up and gone.

The southbound CS was right on time into Eugene and we got back to Chemult about 7 minutes late.

I did enjoy seeing the snow that fell high in the Cascades early Saturday morning. By the time we came back through after 7PM, the snow was nearly all gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back