National Train Day Saturday May 10th 2014

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy National Train Day wherever you are! Took a points run yesterday to Temple and found out that the staffed Stations on the Eagle Route between SAS and Long view are having a raffle for two Round Trip Coach Tickets anywhere between SAS and LRK!

Here in Austin they have a nice Model Train layout set up inside the Station and will have refreshments and Amtrak goodie bags between 9:30 and 6PM!
Does that mean the SAS station is open during the day today? They are normally only open from (I think) 8:00 PM to 8:00 AM since all our trains come in overnight.

I'm on the Capitol Corridor right now between SAC and EMY. There was a nice display of some classic engines in SAC. Hope there are some good things in Emeryville.

I'm about to start grad school finals week in New York so no day trip to Philly like I was thinking about.

I did stop in NYP on my way to school. Didnt even bother to get my camera out. Just a merchandise booth, chuggington depot and a simulator game for the kids, a few exhibit tables: NARP, Visit Vermont, Visit Philidelphia, and Trails and Rails plus some tables promoting Amtrak long-distance travel.

The only other entertainment was a stage hosting just two cooking demonstrations from French Chef and Amtrak cullanary advisor Michel Richard demonstrating making chocolate moose. I got there right at 11:00am when he started and got a free sample without too much fuss. It was like the Acela desserts, just less lavish.

Stayed all of 15 minutes.

I'm at Chicago union station now. Taking points run to Glenview on 10:20 departure. Return to Chicago at 12:01.
Is a "points run" one where you're earning points or redeeming them?

jb
We usually consider a Points Run to be an often quick turn to gather some fast easy AGR Points and kill part of a day or at most an entire day. It satisfies our crave to be on the train whilst putting a few more Points in the Kitty. The destination often involves a good meal location. I have a Points Run set for this Tuesday on the Heartland Flyer to FTW where I'll take the TRE on over to Dallas, grab a quick bite at Cindi's Deli and then head back home. A delayed National Train Day Celebration for me :)

I'm at Chicago union station now. Taking points run to Glenview on 10:20 departure. Return to Chicago at 12:01.
Is a "points run" one where you're earning points or redeeming them?

jb
We usually consider a Points Run to be an often quick turn to gather some fast easy AGR Points and kill part of a day or at most an entire day. It satisfies our crave to be on the train whilst putting a few more Points in the Kitty. The destination often involves a good meal location. I have a Points Run set for this Tuesday on the Heartland Flyer to FTW where I'll take the TRE on over to Dallas, grab a quick bite at Cindi's Deli and then head back home. A delayed National Train Day Celebration for me :)
Well, you will not have missed anything at NTD in Dallas. They had a single folding table set up and that is it. Coloring books and crayons for kids, timetables for adults and no more. So I took the TRE to FTW, where there were several model trains set up, a booth for UP another for BNSF, music, the hot dog guy, and several exhibits and the Texas Rail Advocacy group. One Amtrak coach car to tour, was there also.

#97 is powered by #600 today. Just crossing it Wilmington DE on #2220.

The Acela excursion in Washington was a brilliant idea. Most riders were first timers on Acela and were immensely impressed. The Conductor did a great sales job. They'll of course be in for a shock when they look for the regular fares.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Well now I'm a little bummed that I didn't travel somewhere. I decided to stay and check out what NOL had to offer. They seemed to be a last minute addition to NTD. I show up and there is a lady handing out goodie bags with timetables and vacation guides. That was it! The station was empty like any other day. No cars on display, although the IP cars were ready to depart. Another private car was there but it wasn't there for NTD either. So I went to Subway and headed back home.

my wife is coming home to spk today through sea. she really enjoyed the train day doings at king st station. she says that she picked up so much stuff from the exhibits that she had to check what is normally her carry on bag to be able to haul it all

We had a lot of fun today! We did go to San Jose but they had only 4 tables... great to see them but we didn't drive that far for a small bag of sway. Bob showed me some love and drove us up to Emeryville. Lots of friendly people, lots of kids having fun and a train to walk through. A new conductor was standing and giving out general information. They had a Comet car which smelled brand new and had an Acela-like bathroom. It looked like the Cafe Car was doing a brisk business (smart move!) and they had ... um.. is it a cab car so you move the train with the engine in the rear. Got to take a peek. Really cool! Always fun talking to train folks...

Here are some pictures!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97163322@N02/sets/72157644612364765/

We had a lot of fun today! We did go to San Jose but they had only 4 tables... great to see them but we didn't drive that far for a small bag of sway. Bob showed me some love and drove us up to Emeryville. Lots of friendly people, lots of kids having fun and a train to walk through. A new conductor was standing and giving out general information. They had a Comet car which smelled brand new and had an Acela-like bathroom. It looked like the Cafe Car was doing a brisk business (smart move!) and they had ... um.. is it a cab car so you move the train with the engine in the rear. Got to take a peek. Really cool! Always fun talking to train folks...

Here are some pictures!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97163322@N02/sets/72157644612364765/
That is WAYYYY better than DAL or FTW! Thanks for sharing.

Kalamazoo did stuff from 9:00 - 12:00. They had people from the Michigan Association of Railroad Passengers handing out travel info and answering questions, and Operation Lifesaver had some displays about train/track awareness and safety. Oh, and they had cookies and a variety of beverages. :)

I'm not sure how many people showed up, as I had to work today. <_<

Pittsburgh was nothing more than an unstaffed table of marketing materials (coloring books, pins, timetables, flyers) in a completely empty station.

On Tuesday I did witness an NS loco towing their exhibit car westwards on the Pennsylvanian's route. I wonder where it went? CHI?

Last edited by a moderator:
#97 is powered by #600 today. Just crossing it Wilmington DE on #2220.

The Acela excursion in Washington was a brilliant idea. Most riders were first timers on Acela and were immensely impressed. The Conductor did a great sales job. They'll of course be in for a shock when they look for the regular fares.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
Shanghai and I are on 97 right now.

Penny you will be glad to hear that I got lost while going to see my Dad at Temple U Hospital. I took a Regional Rail train to Temple U. Stopped and asked for directions to be told I was 3 miles off!!! :eek: So I quickly found a Broad Street Subway stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back