National Train Day Saturday May 10th 2014

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak's National Train Day is back for its 7th consecutive year and now that it's only 2 /12 months away, I am already planning on attending. It looks as though the same large events will take place in the East, Midwest and West in the same locations. For myself this looks like PHL right now but I am waiting see if anything will happen at NYC GCT. My wife's hectic work schedule at the psychiatric clinic is changing so even she might make a rare appearance. Its always been a fun day during the "Spring Thaw", and for us its just before our Seattle trip.

Who's going and where? Anyone have any additional info to share?

A group of friends and I attended NTD in Philly last year and had a good time. Our local NTD is held in Toledo, Oh on May 3. Always the week before the national event and sometimes they get some special trains and events due to the early start. Probably will not see any specifics until later in March.

Last edited by a moderator:
The GCT event last year was not associated with National Train Day. It was a separate MTA/Metro North event celebrating the 100th anniversary of the station. Of course that does not say anything about what might or might not happen this year.

I am going to try and take my folks to Train Day in MKE and CHI! Did both later year, a lot of fun to hit two events. :)

I doubt GCT will have anything. The last event was for some anniversary (like 100th) of GCT and I think only 1 time. It was not even put on by Amtrak.
They did however held it the year before (2012). I was able to board a Viewliner and Acela set which were pretty cool. I hope they do it again.

I had heard that NTD in Los Angeles will be one week earlier, May 3, to coincide with the 75th Anniversary celebration of Los Angeles Union Station.

The GCT event last year was not associated with National Train Day. It was a separate MTA/Metro North event celebrating the 100th anniversary of the station. Of course that does not say anything about what might or might not happen this year.
Last years anniversary event at GCT was an overwhelming success. Did the NY political and economic establishment notice the positive impact on visitors and tourism? On NTD, at NYP Amtrak has had little to show and they lack the the tracks nor have the room in the station to do very much. The question becomes why not hold NTD at GCT in the largest city in the country? I can't believe that I am the only one with this idea.

I'm going to plan on attending of the NTD and 75th Anniversary Celebration at Los Angeles Union Station on May 3. I would like to see the steamers if they'll be at the festivities. On the way back to Chicago, I'll visit another NTD event on Saturday May 10th, however, I'm not sure which event. Likely along the CZ or TE routes,

May 3, 2014, 11 am - 4 pm PT - Los Angeles Union Station - 75th Anniversary Celebration

You mean 75th anniversary (not 100th). I thought I heard that ATSF 3751 might be at Los Angeles Union Station....they are also running an excursion on April 12-13 from LAUPT to San Bernardino, see here: http://sbrhs.org/news.html#01 and http://www.sbdepotmuseum.com/.

I say "should" attend the May 3 celebration, cause if they got her steamed up for April 12-13, it wont take too much work to get her steamed back up three weeks later!

NTD Chicago last year was slightly disappointing, though mostly in relation to the previous two years when it was really awesome. The one real significant highlight was the presence of an Amtrak rail inspection car.

What has the Milwaukee NTD been offering? They usually have some private varnish in the barn. It would be nice if those cars were open and on display.

Not too much going on in MKE but living close to it, it was worth going and leaving from there to go to CHI. Basically some model railroads and a few booths.

Yawning2.jpg

You mean 75th anniversary (not 100th). I thought I heard that ATSF 3751 might be at Los Angeles Union Station....they are also running an excursion on April 12-13 from LAUPT to San Bernardino, see here: http://sbrhs.org/news.html#01 and http://www.sbdepotmuseum.com/.

I say "should" attend the May 3 celebration, cause if they got her steamed up for April 12-13, it wont take too much work to get her steamed back up three weeks later!
Thanks! 75th is correct.

I might make rare appearance in LA if I don't have to work . I did volunteer last year but had back out due work. We will see. My son loves trains and it will be nice little treat

I'm planing to go to Tampa for NTD. Will they have a Superliner or Viewliner to tour. This will be my

first NTD.

Here we are about a month out and not much news from Amtrak other than the general train exhibits statement for the major stations. PHL sounds like my NTD destination for 2014 and I hope that some other AU members will be there as well. If anyone has more detailed info please share it. Amtrak no longer lists activities exhibits etc which IMO is a mistake. NTD starts at 10 AM

I never got any follow up on a message I left in November to try to find out who was in charge. I belong to a model railroad cub and we would have been able to set up a great display. All we needed was access Friday night to set up and a parking place fora pickup truck and cargo trailer in CUS.

Too late now as the club has commitments.

The only thing that I have heard is that DoveTail Games (maker of Train Simulator 2014) will be at NYP showing off their product and their soon-to-be-released add on of the New York-New Haven line with ACS-64.

How much room is available at NYP to do much of anything for NTD? It's bad enough using it to board a train.

Still wish we knew more. I'd like to do a double again this year, either WAS/PHL or NYP/PHL, but I would need to buy my tickets two weeks out for the discounted fare.

Here we are, only 5 days away and quite frankly I don't see the enthusiasm as in past years. None the less I will be attending NTD in Philadelphia this Saturday. I may be the only AU member there but if anyone else is going and wants to meet up to chat over coffee and/or lunch and tour the trains just let me know. I tend to be a talkative person and like just about everyone.

Here we are, only 5 days away and quite frankly I don't see the enthusiasm as in past years. None the less I will be attending NTD in Philadelphia this Saturday. I may be the only AU member there but if anyone else is going and wants to meet up to chat over coffee and/or lunch and tour the trains just let me know. I tend to be a talkative person and like just about everyone.

I agree. The NTD website is very poor and is hard to navigate.

I am trying to decide if I want to do anything. Maybe Washington. Maybe Philly. Maybe nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back