Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully not taking this too much off topic... Are there any other stations like Rome where the only way to get to the platform is a tunnel UNDER the tracks? I found that very intriguing when reading about the station. I know several that have a bridge over the tracks, and some that you need a tunnel to get from one side to the other... But any like Rome that are only a tunnel from station to platform?

Milwaukee, MKE has a tunnel, very short, under the tracks. Not sure if it's needed for the track closest to the station but I've had to use it both times I was there.

Hopefully not taking this too much off topic... Are there any other stations like Rome where the only way to get to the platform is a tunnel UNDER the tracks? I found that very intriguing when reading about the station. I know several that have a bridge over the tracks, and some that you need a tunnel to get from one side to the other... But any like Rome that are only a tunnel from station to platform?
I think there are (or at least were) a fair number of such places. Denver comes to mind, and Sacramento ... and though it's no longer in service Union Station in Ogden had a subway under the tracks.

In most of those places you could get to at least the first platform without going underground, though.

I think there are (or at least were) a fair number of such places. Denver comes to mind, and Sacramento ... and though it's no longer in service Union Station in Ogden had a subway under the tracks.

In most of those places you could get to at least the first platform without going underground, though.
Old Detroit Michigan Central station had to use a tunnel. And in Anaheim, one must use a tunnel to get to the track furthest from the station

Old Detroit Michigan Central station had to use a tunnel. And in Anaheim, one must use a tunnel to get to the track furthest from the station
Here's two more, both of the "new" 1960's variety: Savannah (joint ACL/SAL station on Telfair Road) and Birmingham (L&N station on Morris Avenue).

Both stations are still active, but the tunnel at Savannah isn't in use and was chained off last time I was there. It's been many years since I've set foot inside the L&N station at Birmingham despite many trips through on 19 & 20. IIRC, you have to go through at least a short tunnel at the Birmingham to access the "live" platform area from the station area below at ground level.

I got on at Rome (full description from my website of the boarding procedures) once, the tunnel was neat and felt old fashioned with a phone number posted on its entrance on the platform in case god forbid you got off the train and the doors to leave were locked.

Also Westerly, RI has one, the former Denver Union Station had a short tunnel until the renovations. Yonkers maybe you could consider (you have to go downstairs and into a short underpass to the station, can't remember if there's a second staircase), Tucson has an abandoned one, L.A. is tunnel access, Orange, CA also has an underpass at one end. I can think of quite a few more that are commuter rail only.

Well onto the next photo:

guess.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
PNE is like this I'm pretty sure.

Here's two more, both of the "new" 1960's variety: Savannah (joint ACL/SAL station on Telfair Road) and Birmingham (L&N station on Morris Avenue).

Both stations are still active, but the tunnel at Savannah isn't in use and was chained off last time I was there. It's been many years since I've set foot inside the L&N station at Birmingham despite many trips through on 19 & 20. IIRC, you have to go through at least a short tunnel at the Birmingham to access the "live" platform area from the station area below at ground level.
Toronto Union Station is tunnel access as well. Also, although it does not serve Amtrak trains, Winnipeg Union Station also utilizes a tunnel to access the platforms. Winnipeg is served by VIA Rail's Canadian (Toronto-Vancouver) and Hudson Bay (Winnipeg-Churchill).

What station, do you mean?

First hint to my photo: You Don't access the trains via a bridge or a tunnel.

What station, do you mean?

First hint to my photo: You Don't access the trains via a bridge or a tunnel.
North Philadelphia.

Sorry, in the meteorology business we do everything in IATA codes (Philly Northeast is KPNE) and I mix-and-match the codes all the time.

LA is another one.

LA is another one.
New Haven is another tunnel to platform station as well. And then there are the stations that are entirely under the tracks: New Carrollton and Schnectady are the first that come to mind.

As for the picture... not sure, but the spartain waiting room reminds me of Niagara Falls (NFL).

~ DCTE

I got on at Rome (full description from my website of the boarding procedures) once, the tunnel was neat and felt old fashioned with a phone number posted on its entrance on the platform in case god forbid you got off the train and the doors to leave were locked.

Also Westerly, RI has one, the former Denver Union Station had a short tunnel until the renovations. Yonkers maybe you could consider (you have to go downstairs and into a short underpass to the station, can't remember if there's a second staircase), Tucson has an abandoned one, L.A. is tunnel access, Orange, CA also has an underpass at one end. I can think of quite a few more that are commuter rail only.

Well onto the next photo:

guess.jpg
Brattleboro, VT

New Haven is another tunnel to platform station as well. And then there are the stations that are entirely under the tracks: New Carrollton and Schnectady are the first that come to mind.

As for the picture... not sure, but the spartain waiting room reminds me of Niagara Falls (NFL).

~ DCTE
WIL is under the tracks.

I am opening the floor for anyone who wants to post a new station picture.

I am heading north on tomorrow's CONO out of NOL, so I will be out of touch for a few days.

Back