My first time using Amtrak, and now my bag is missing

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I came home last night from Arcata, CA to Los Angeles for Thanksgiving break. Everything went well except someone took my luggage. I boarded San Joaquin 714 in Martinez and got off in Bakersfield. I reported the missing luggage to Amtrak at the Bakersfield station. I even spoke with the conductor and we looked everywhere and there was a bag leftover after everyone got off (Bakersfield is the last stop) and there was bag left. It looked like mine but it was different. Unfortunately there was no info on thr bag, so I just turned it in to the station when I made the report. My bag has a tag with my contact info so I'm hoping they can contact me somehow. Amtrak told me it happens all the time, but it's still not an excuse. I'm a broke college kid and half my wardrobe is in there.

Should I call Amtrak again? Or wait for their respose? I'm not sure what to do. All I know is that my bag was still in the rack when the train stopped in Hanford. I was on car 4, I gave all this info to the station in Bakersfield as well as my contact info.

I am sure the person who has your bag is equal unhappy.

It should show up as the person with the wrong bag want his or hers bag back. Who know the person might be your future spouse. It's stress wearing the same underwear for a few days.

This issue should resolve itself with time. Very smart that you had your contact info on your bag. It just might make back to your house before you do.

It should show up as the person with the wrong bag want his or hers bag back. Who know the person might be your future spouse. It's stress wearing the same underwear for a few days.

This issue should resolve itself with time. Very smart that you had your contact info on your bag. It just might make back to your house before you do.
Actually I rode the train with my girl friend, she got off in Hanford and I got her luggage and checked on mine.

Haven't they made movies about this-someone gets the wrong grip and it is loaded with Syndicate cash or narcotics. I would expect a call in short order from the errant party and hopefully they can take the bag to the station and Amtrak will rin it down to you.

That would seem to depend on who the other traveler is and what is in the other bag.

It should show up as the person with the wrong bag want his or hers bag back. Who know the person might be your future spouse.
Who knows maybe her future spouse is a cross dressing luggage thief.

This issue should resolve itself with time.
I'm sure it will too, although it may involve buying another wardrobe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear this happened...fingers crossed that you'll be contacted soon.

This reminds me of my two favorite luggage tips: when stowing overhead, place across the aisle and a tad forward for easy visibility, and put something distinctive on the handles to make your bag unique. I'm thinking of a blatantly oversized tag that reads, "THIS IS NOT YOUR BAG."

Too many bags look alike, I always put strips of yellow tape on various locations of our bags. Sure helps spot them and keeps others from snagging them by mistake. Im sure yours will be returned shortly.

Too many bags look alike, I always put strips of yellow tape on various locations of our bags. Sure helps spot them and keeps others from snagging them by mistake. Im sure yours will be returned shortly.
I've done the same so that I can recognize my bag on airport carousels.

Sorry to hear this happened...fingers crossed that you'll be contacted soon.

This reminds me of my two favorite luggage tips: when stowing overhead, place across the aisle and a tad forward for easy visibility, and put something distinctive on the handles to make your bag unique. I'm thinking of a blatantly oversized tag that reads, "THIS IS NOT YOUR BAG."
I have such a tag on my bag. Oversized, bright red, with big black letters saying "This is my bag!! You have enough baggage!" That, coupled with another tag that is encased in a blue Amtrak luggage tag holder and the fact my bag is bright turquoise has been enough to ensure no one takes mine mistakenly. I do hope you get your bag back soon. I remember those days of being a struggling college student.

A few years back I would ride the CZ east and coming into Reno, someone getting off of coach would grab luggage and run. One day a young guy was looking out the window as we made our stop. Suddenly he yelled stop and flew out of his seat and down the stairs. By time I looked out the window, I saw this young buck overtake the guy who was running and then I couldn't see them. Then the train pulled out. Turns out he got his luggage back, the Amtrak people said just let the person who took it go and we will drive you to Sparks. He did get back on at Sparks and said he just wanted his stuff back. He had his suitcase well marked, I started doing the same. Been a while and I imagine the grab and run at Reno scam was stopped.

Few years back while visiting Charleston Illinois, we acquired an old barn hay loft pully that we now use to raise our ease to the rafters when not in use. The mother in law also fave us about six sacks of flower. We bought a cheap red suitcase to carry them home. When we got to Chicago, the suitcase was gone. While filling out the claim for at the desk, the call came in that the person who took it by mistake had returned it and the next train was pulling in to the station with our bag for us. A pully and flour wouldn't have been a great loss compared to all our cloths but I'm glad it worked out

P.s. I hate the way the computer "corrects" my spelling by changing flour to flower and easel to ease.

A number of years ago i accidently grabbed someone else's black suitcase at a small station in a rush to get off. I didn't even notice until i got home and opened it up. I called amtrak and they were able to send my luggage back the next day. I brought the suitcase back and picked up mine. Although they said for some reason the other person hadn't reported anything missing.

I even spoke with the conductor and we looked everywhere and there was a bag leftover after everyone got off (Bakersfield is the last stop) and there was bag left. It looked like mine but it was different.

That would seem to depend on who the other traveler is and what is in the other bag.
While I agree that Amtrak isn't at all responsible for carry-on luggage, I hope that Amtrak somehow marks, records, tags, the look-alike bag with something noting that if/when someone comes to lost-and-found to claim it, that Amtrak should "strongly" inquire about ...Waffle's bag.

The Heartland Flyer is all carry on bags (though I have seen the Conductors put odd size items in the external storage locker on the Superliner Coach) and at least at the Norman station, the morning volunteer reminds everyone to put a bag tag of EVERYTHING you carry on.

I hope that Amtrak somehow marks, records, tags, the look-alike bag with something noting that if/when someone comes to lost-and-found to claim it, that Amtrak should "strongly" inquire about ...Waffle's bag.
Yeah I'm sure they'll get right on that.

I tried calling about my bag and they weren't much help. They just told me to use home owner's insurance.
That matches my personal experiences as well. Anything I've ever lost on Amtrak has never once been found and returned. Ever. At this point I don't even bother reporting lost items anymore.

At the Norman station, the morning volunteer reminds everyone to put a bag tag of EVERYTHING you carry on.
The OP has already stated that their bag had a tag. Doesn't seemed to have helped at all so far.

One problem about the lost bag, some people don't unload their bag for quite awhile after arriving back home. If they took it by mistake and since they're was a similar bag left behind it looks to be the case, liable to be awhile be for they notice the clothes don't fit. Hope that's not the case here.

I tried calling about my bag and they weren't much help. They just told me to use home owner's insurance.
Amtrak will be unable to do anything unless the bag is returned to them. As the bag was not checked they have no responsibility or liability in this scenario.

Now in the event of the bag being returned to them past history suggests they will make every reasonable (and sometimes beyond reasonable) effort to get it back to you.

It is unfortunate that something like this happens, but that is exactly why the website says this in their blurb about carry on bags:

Make sure you have a tag with your name and address on the outside of all your bags.

Amtrak will be unable to do anything unless the bag is returned to them. As the bag was not checked they have no responsibility or liability in this scenario.
I'm not even sure that these two bags are actually related. Seems just as likely to be that the person who took the OP's bag had nothing to do with leaving the other bag. That being said, perhaps Amtrak's responsibility is to recognize the ease of theft on board and to include lockers or hoops for passengers to secure their bags as a result.

Now in the event of the bag being returned to them past history suggests they will make every reasonable (and sometimes beyond reasonable) effort to get it back to you.
That depends on who you ask, what they lost, and where they lost it. If there is one thing that decades of riding the rails has taught me it's that there is no single universal truth when it comes to Amtrak.

It is unfortunate that something like this happens, but that is exactly why the website says this in their blurb about carry on bags:

Make sure you have a tag with your name and address on the outside of all your bags.[/size]
1. The OP already stated that they had a tag on their bag.

2. The OP has no control over anybody else including a tag.

3. Did anyone else bother to read the full opening post?

Ugh. All my Christmas presents for my family (we only see everyone at Thanksgiving) are in my suitcase (which is not checkable given where I leave from). Guess this go-round I take the suitcase into the roommette with me and see if I can stow it in there.

I don't care so much about losing clothes, but I'd hate to have to go back out and re-buy gifts for people.

My bag is tagged and marked with ribbon so hopefully it wouldn't be grabbed by mistake, but if bag thieves are becoming a thing....

It doesn't seem like it's any worse than usual for bag theft, but it's something that can happen and that realistically Amtrak isn't able, with their current setup, to do much about.

Unfortunately Amtrak doesn't offer any option for checking bags for many trips, and in many cases (especially on the NEC) it's inconvenient to use the checked baggage system available. At least on the airlines there's usually the option to check bags, although it's often for a fee (especially if you have no status or branded credit card with that particular airline.)

Back